1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck is always dying!

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010+)' started by Wildland, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Jan 4, 2021 at 6:49 PM
    Wildland

Wildland [OP] Does Ursus arctos defecate in deciduous forest?

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2013T4RTRAILKDSS
    I have had trouble with this 4runner ever since I bought it. Sold my low mileage 2010 trail for a high milage 2013 trail. It has 175k miles on it.

It is always dying. I put a new optima redtop in after I thought it was the old battery and it runs great when it's driving. However, if I don't drive it for 4 days it is dead.

Could something be drawing power when the car is off and slowly draining the battery and how do I check? My wifes old civic can sit for a week and only be driven a couple miles and starts up each time so I don't think it is from the lack of driving and recharging the battery.

Thanks!

Thatbassguy likes this.
  2. Jan 4, 2021 at 7:11 PM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Hood protector, mud guards, cross bars, Wonderfulhz screen protector (8 inch)
    Why?

Anyway, it may be parasitic drain. Have fun. Here's a short video from everybody's favorite 94 Celica owner. Some people think he's a quack. I don't know. At least it may send you in the right direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B__DqK90IIc

Doglover2003 and Thatbassguy like this.
  3. Jan 4, 2021 at 7:12 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    it does sound like you have a parasitic drain happening. could be a million things....bad ground somewhere, door switch acting up but to name two. I had this problem with my old Trailblazer. there are a lot of experienced people on this forum and hopefully they will chime in with a better way to run it down, but I put a meter on the battery and started pulling fuses to see what might be drawing power. In my case it was a bad instrument panel cluster (turned out to be a common issue on the GM360 platform). Best of luck....I hate auto electrical issues.

ThePnsh3r, bear1998 and Thatbassguy like this.
  4. Jan 4, 2021 at 7:33 PM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 T4R Limited
    It sounds like you definitely have a parasitic current draw. Unfortunately it’s not the easiest DIY friendly thing to diagnose.

Generally what you’d do open the door and manually latch it closed, put an amp clamp on the negative battery cable and lock the car and let is sit for a couple hours to ensure all the modules have gone to sleep. The 4Runner being an old piece of shit dinosaur of a vehicle you should probably see around 25-30 milliamps. If you’re battery is dying you have significantly more than that. Once it’s asleep you can take a meter and if it’s fuses with exposed test points you came voltage drop the fuse to check to see which ones are drawing power. As an alternative you can pull fuses individually and monitor what it does at the amp clamp. The problem with that method is if you pull a fuse and then reinsert it, you can wake modules up and have to wait for it to sleep again so it’s a timely process. Once you determine which circuit is pulling power when it shouldn’t you need to bust out a wiring diagram to see what modules on that shared fused circuit and start disconnecting them one by one until you find the one that causing the draw.

The way I personally diagnose current draw is a stand alone amp clamp and a Flir thermal imager. I figure out how much it’s drawing, put the car to sleep and let it sit indoors for 24 hours, then take the thermal imager and look at the fuses. Whatever circuit is pulling power WILL glow a different color on the imager. If there’s electrically traveling through it, there will be warmth. Takes like 10 seconds to determine which fuse is the warmest, that’s your power draw - bust out the wiring diagram and look at what’s on the circuit and start shooting them with the imager to look for warmth.

In general the common causes are typically radios, amplifiers, modules that control connectivity (emergency assist and things like that) or any module that got damaged from water leaks.

5. Jan 4, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    Wildland

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2013T4RTRAILKDSS
    Because I am dumb :laugh: it was just in too great of shape with only 65k miles and bought it for $26k. Was just too nice with a kid and to hunt out of so found one with more miles, a few scratches same color and trim for $15k. It just sits outside until need an offroad vehicle so the first one just seemed like too much money sitting there.

Thanks for the video!

Thanks - I hate electrical too. I keep getting an engine code for evap every now and then (been replacing things for that) and wonder if maybe they are connected with a bad ground somewhere.

Thanks for the detailed post! That is unfortunate it sounds likes parasitic draw and a pita to solve. I like your method of the thermal imager - gotta get my hands on one :laugh:
    Well, I'll pull the battery and charge it and get to diagnosing!

Thatbassguy likes this.
  6. Jan 5, 2021 at 12:54 AM
    bear1998

bear1998 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Shoreline Blue Pearl Limited, 66,000 mi...2004 Dark Blue Sport 4.7l 121,000 mi.
    Its a bandade until u get it figured out but in the meantime....maybe put a tender quick connect on battery n run it out in the grill. Connect n plug in tender to keep the battery up until needed....just a thought...GOOD LUCK

gunsnob and DRobs like this.
  7. Jan 15, 2021 at 12:50 PM
    Wildland

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2013T4RTRAILKDSS
    Oof - ECU-B fuse pulling 125 mA... of course it controls what seems like everything!

8. Jan 15, 2021 at 1:01 PM
    Wildland

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2013T4RTRAILKDSS
    Could this be a thing?
    This is after the car has been asleep for a couple hours. Turned off all the light switches inside - didn't do anything. I pressed a button on my power seat and the power noise come on for a millisecond then off (as if it went into a little gear). Could the motor have been stuck or something and been pulling power? Seems like a weird thing but I could not recreate and the amp power went back to .02 mA (which doesn't seem right that nothing is pulling power anymore)

Products Discussed in

To Top