1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Pro fox suspension kit question

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Jtorral, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Feb 13, 2021 at 9:19 AM
    azmtnbkr1

azmtnbkr1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD Off Road
    What did you decide? I’ve been down the suspension rabbit hole all day for the last three days. I have a new (2021) TOR. Just ordered a 2021 TRD Pro Sus Kit. Here’s what I’ve learned:
    Changes were made to the OEM Fox valve tuning in 21.
    There was a TSB issued on the older Fox Shocks for a clunk. Toyota is replacing the Fox shocks under that TSB for the 2019 and 2020 model years so I decided to stay away from any takeoffs on eBay.
    On the older OEM Fox shocks, the lower spring perch was at a different height for the left and right shock. Pictures for the 2021 system show the shocks being identical. I’ll confirm this next week after I receive mine. Another reason for me to avoid older part numbers.
    Internal Bypass Valving has some definite advantages over aftermarket as long as the one inch front lift is acceptable which for me it is.
    Not many Toyota dealerships will sell the OEM Fox Kit to someone without a TRD Pro VIN. There are several online that will. The part number is PTR61-89210. I paid approx $2250 delivered for the kit.
    Small bump compliance isn’t as good with digressive shocks (Bilstein). I wanted the best of both but for me, running fast down rough dirt roads to access camping, hiking and biking spots was top priority over massive wheel articulation. We don’t offroad for off-roading sake. It’s a means to an end for us. I traded a 2019 TRD Pro Tacoma for the 4Runner. The Tacoma OEM Fox suspension was surprisingly smooth over washboard roads at 50 mph. We did 150 miles on dirt from Kanab to Toroweap (Grand Canyon) and were totally comfortable.
    All the decent aftermarket Stage 1-3 kits were more expensive than the OEM Kit.
    Sorry to ramble on but I hope this helps those like me contemplating an upgrade.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    koukimonster and Moon Landing like this.
  2. Feb 13, 2021 at 9:40 AM
    Moon Landing

Moon Landing AFFTC 1967/68 Eddies Air Patch

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    La Quinta, Ca. AKA "The Skillet"
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    fwiw

Decide on your tires and the rest should fall into place. Once that is figured out you will know how much lift (if any) you need. ***Keep the lift as low as you can while getting the tire clearance you need.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    olliechristoper and azmtnbkr1 like this.
  3. Feb 13, 2021 at 1:13 PM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    I am sitting on the fence with the decision of a new 4Runner Pro or TRD ORP. Since you had a 2019 Pro Tacoma and now have a 2021 TRD OR (premium ?) 4Runner, and are planning to install the Fox Pro Suspension Kit for $2,250 on the new 4R, aside from the obvious additional cost of a Pro - why did you choose the TRD OR trim in the new 4Runner? Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Feb 13, 2021 at 2:20 PM
    edgesalon

edgesalon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Te
    Vehicle:
    18 FunRunner :-)
    they are the same Truck "except Fox Suspension, Wheels and Tires, Front Grill and special Color " thats it and black front and rear Valance :facepalm:

5. Feb 13, 2021 at 4:04 PM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    Don't forget the 12 speaker JBL sound system and piss poor roof rack!

edgesalon[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Feb 13, 2021 at 4:24 PM
    20AGPro

20AGPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro 4Runner
    All the Pro hate still cracks me up! I’ve only been on here for 6 months or so and never read one Pro owner criticize someone for what they bought but it’s daily how people hate on someone who bought a Pro or wants Pro take offs. It’s unreal. The Pro suspension is solid. Is it the best? No. Is it overpriced ? What the hell isnt overpriced? But it never fails. Someone mention anything about a Pro in a thread and all the trolls come out. I love it! To the OP get what you want but absolutely do your research. The Pro set up is very nice and a smooth ride on and off road! Don’t let people talk you out or how you want to spend your money. But I do agree I would try to get a lightly used take off first. And if you want to spend some more money you can buy better but unless you’re hardcore off-roading it’s not needed.

7. Feb 13, 2021 at 4:30 PM
    20AGPro

20AGPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    where did you find this out? News to me

8. Feb 13, 2021 at 4:36 PM
    Jtorral

Jtorral [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    I love the roof rack.

After lots of reading, I went with the king oem kits withe from t and rear reservoirs. It's awesome.

olliechristoper likes this.
  9. Feb 13, 2021 at 4:42 PM
    20AGPro

20AGPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Can’t go wrong with that!

And I agree. I love the roof rack on mine. It’s all I need. Again I don’t know why people just talk so much crap. If you don’t like it don’t buy it. Simple! But there’s a reason the Pro is so popular. I see tons of OR and ORP every single day. Rarely do I see a Pro. I love everything about mine. But glad to hear you got a set up YOU like. All that matters!

olliechristoper and azmtnbkr1 like this.
  10. Feb 13, 2021 at 5:15 PM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    As I have clearly stated numerous times I am equally torn between purchasing a Pro or ORP. My heart is saying Pro and my brain is saying ORP! Severe paralysis by over analysis on my part, thus I am constantly probing on these forums to help with my pending decision. With that being said, I truly don't care for the Pro roof rack. I feel like it is a beacon that says "I am a Pro" instead of being a sound functional roof rack! I my intent with the Pro would be to keep it stock.

11. Feb 13, 2021 at 5:34 PM
    20AGPro

20AGPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    As was I honestly. But I just personally didn’t want to fool with changing out wheels and tires and suspension or anything really. Those days are done for me but the ORP is awesome but I would’ve wanted to change things so it just wasn’t worth it for me personally. I actually like the roof rack. I loved it on the FJ. I don’t really know why. Guess I’m weird but I like the looks of it a lot and it’s enough for me but I don’t want a RTT or a rack that holds half my belongings. Can’t wrong with either choice though honestly.

Moon Landing likes this.
  12. Feb 13, 2021 at 5:42 PM
    edgesalon

edgesalon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Te
    Vehicle:
    18 FunRunner :-)
    I actually like the Rack it works for my needs i have it on my Rig.

@azmtnbkr1 i have the 20 Pro Fox shocks i am in SoCali and have had no issues but it doesn't get that cold out here i been to the mountains in the snow and also have not heard Clunk yet but it could just be me. the only thing that i now about 21 Pro Fox shocks that the bottom perch is change to accommodate the new springs that not coiled close together at the end they are more open springs i have not read anything about the shocks them selves.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    azmtnbkr1 likes this.
  13. Feb 13, 2021 at 5:43 PM
    20AGPro

20AGPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Same here! Good for a spare too!

14. Feb 13, 2021 at 5:43 PM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    62B1DC98-2F5D-4B83-AEB8-BE6465F4106A.jpg Yes I made a few changes to my Pro but nothing I cannot undo. I did not like the pro rack so I sold that. I can easily put my stock springs and stock tires and wheels back on. But I like my pro better now than stock. And I also still have that awesome value if I decide to trade it in again. Also I must add my AG is a rare breed in my area. Don’t see many Pros around especially with SCS wheels!!

azmtnbkr1, YetiMtnBkr and nimby like this.
  15. Feb 13, 2021 at 5:44 PM
    20AGPro

20AGPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Looks great! Love the bronze and AG together.

YetiMtnBkr and edgesalon like this.
  16. Feb 13, 2021 at 5:46 PM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    Thanks I get a lot of compliments wherever I go.

17. Feb 13, 2021 at 6:10 PM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    Aside from the Pro OEM roof rack, we are in the same boat! I prefer the sleek look of no rack and since I would be the sole user / inhabitant, plenty of interior space to sleep and storage.

Now as much time as I have wasted switching gears from a new Tacoma to a new 4Runner, and now the Pro or ORP choice - it's ridiculous! The amount of time I would waste going forward with potential mods for the ORP from the choices to the actual implementation would have major opportunity cost implications for me. The Pro would ultimately be a more prudent choice for me since I am not mechanically inclined as well! Not a Pro hater at all - enjoy yours, as I hope to too!

20AGPro[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Feb 13, 2021 at 6:53 PM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    I love how sleek your Pro looks without that rack. I feel that my eyes are constantly drawn to the stock tubular roof rack on the Pro which seems incongruous with the linear look of the 4R. I think the low profile after market roof racks look great accenting the linear lines of the 4R, but I don't foresee me having a need for one - fortunately! But, clearly the Pro racks have market appeal and are easily sold upon removal for those that choose to.

azmtnbkr1 likes this.
  19. Feb 14, 2021 at 6:27 AM
    azmtnbkr1

azmtnbkr1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    I love the look of the Pro especially the Lunar Rock color and would’ve gone there again except for these few things:
    I actually wanted cloth seats. I didn’t care for the Softex here in AZ. I know they’re supposed to be breathable but that wasn’t my experience on a long test drive. (Tacoma Pro seats were leather.)
    KDSS - This was a must have after driving one without. (98% of my driving is on pavement.)
    Didn’t need the sunroof. Planning to install a full length overland style rack with full floor deck.
    Price and availability. I felt I could add the Pro’s best feature (Fox Suspension IMHO) after the fact. I do miss the JBL sound system though. It’s significantly better than the premium sound in the OR.
    Bottom line. If the Pro had KDSS, it would’ve probably been a done deal. It’s a sweet package.

YetiMtnBkr[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Feb 14, 2021 at 6:31 AM
    azmtnbkr1

azmtnbkr1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    Moon Landing likes this.
  21. Feb 14, 2021 at 6:43 AM
    azmtnbkr1

azmtnbkr1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    My brother put a $10k suspension on a 10 year old Tundra. He’s never gonna jump that beast but wants to know he could if he wanted to. I’m the opposite. We use ever room in our house. I want what serves our needs with as little excess as possible. For me, the Pro suspension seems “just right”.

20AGPro[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Feb 14, 2021 at 7:41 AM
    20AGPro

20AGPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
  23. Feb 14, 2021 at 9:30 AM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    Thanks for your feedback! I had been curious about the JBL Pro sound in comparison with the Premium OR sound system.

Must be nice to mtn bike in AZ in the winter time. Snow, ice, mud, and the constant freeze / thaw affect here in MD this time of the year! We have some great trails, but no scenic vistas.

24. Feb 14, 2021 at 9:42 AM
    azmtnbkr1

azmtnbkr1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else nine months of the year. We try and get away for most of the summer.

Moon Landing and Rainier42 like this.
  25. Feb 14, 2021 at 9:54 AM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    I am hoping to the same in reverse soon! Become a snowbird with the exception of a ski trip or two!

azmtnbkr1 likes this.
  26. Feb 14, 2021 at 10:04 AM
    azmtnbkr1

azmtnbkr1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    It’s definitely a great way to live! Hit me up if you come out this way and I’ll show you some desert trails.

YetiMtnBkr[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top