1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transponder key/ignition switch 99 4runner

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Jonjonau007, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Jul 9, 2018 at 8:01 PM
    Jonjonau007

Jonjonau007 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Brand new here. A new problem started 2 days ago, not being able to turn my key in the ignition. Originally I thought the wheel was locked, but it isn't. It took 30 minutes to get 4runner to start this afternoon and right now I can't get it to turn, so I stopped trying to avoid breaking my key. I've found an ignition switch online and have a friend who helps me work on my SUV at his shop. It looks rather inexpensive and quick fix. My concern is having a transponder key. Anyone have any info or advice??? I don't want to spend $$ & time if I'm just going to end up at a Toyota dealership anyway because of the transponder key. I can't really find much info online. Thanks!

2. Jul 10, 2018 at 6:35 AM
    Roman

Roman New Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    Unless your friend has access to a Toyota scan tool and TIS, you aren't going to be able to program the transponder. You'll have to go to a dealership. Have you tried using any lubricant to clean the ignition cylinder? Some WD-40 might do the trick.

Products Discussed in

To Top