1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transitioning From ‘06 Tundra to ‘20 4Runner

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Rick G., Jul 30, 2020.

1. Jul 30, 2020 at 3:13 AM
    Rick G.

Rick G. [OP] New Member

Member:
    This is my first post here, I just joined the board.

I currently own a 2006 Tundra 4WD TRD that I bought from brand new for myself. I have been extremely happy with it.

I have however been bitten by the new car bug and am getting interested in a new 4Runner. I recently had a chance to rent a 2020 model from Hertz and found it to be to my liking. I want to go with 4WD.

I considered buying one from Hertz car sales with just over 20,000 miles on it, but their fixed no dicker price on it still seemed extremely high for a used vehicle, despite their advertising claims for great buys on their used vehicles. So high that I told the salesman that their price was too high for a used vehicle and that I would be better off just going to a Toyota dealer and buying one brand new. No bargain to be found at Hertz used cars in my opinion.

I have one dislike in particular that I noticed on the 4Runner as compared to my “antique” 2006 Tundra. I was not happy with the corny location of the switches for the power windows up at the top of the door. What were they thinking when they put those window switches way up there???

Does this bug anyone else? I guess you would have to get used to it but what a turn off. My wife didn’t like that either.

Other than that, does anyone know if there are going to be any major changes in store for the 2021 4Runners? I haven’t been to a dealer yet to ask any questions, and obviously haven’t done any research on-line yet regarding this. Thanks for any inputs.

2. Jul 30, 2020 at 5:06 AM
    freak4life

freak4life New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Cañon City Co
    Vehicle:
    2018 off-road
    Fuel Wheels, KO2 33’s RCI skids (alum. full length) Jomax ABS protection SSO low profile w/ Warn Zeon 10s Westcott: sliders, roof rack, ladder, Hitch mount rear tire carrier Nitro 4:88 regear LRA 24gal aux tank Icon he rear springs Treaty Oak spacers Viper security Upgraded stereo, speakers, 400 amp unit Goose gear 100% rear seat delete Dometic DZ95 RedArc man.30 2 Battleborn 100ah lithium Genesis Duel battery under hood ARB duel air under hood Baja 30’ amber and fog Rigid 40” light bar on roof, ditch lights Switch-pro
    Welcome from Phoenix, besides a new color for the Pro and LED lights, hi/lo for the Pro, lo for the rest. Along with LED fog there does not seem to be any major changes just minor ones. People are speculating about a 6th gen in 2022, but that is just that, speculation. The small things that bothered me, also new to the 4r family, like you say, I just adjusted to them.
    Again welcome.

3. Jul 30, 2020 at 6:30 AM
    BgBmBoo

BgBmBoo New Member

Member:
    Kansas
    The #1 problem with that generation Tundra is they simply won't die so you don't have a good excuse to buy a new truck. :D I have an '06 Tundra as well and plan to move over to a 4Runner in the next few months. Never thought I'd drive a SUV but after picking up an '18 4Runner for my wife I was surprised at how much I enjoyed driving it.

I agree on the switches, very odd placement and was one of the things I disliked on the vehicle. However, now that I've driven it quite a bit I don't even notice it anymore. Unless it really bothers you, I think after a while it will blend in and you won't notice it as much.

freak4life summed it up, rumor is 2022 for a new generation. Also rumors it may be a hybrid so who knows what Toyota has in mind.

Toffees likes this.
  4. Jul 30, 2020 at 6:52 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome to the forum.

5. Jul 30, 2020 at 12:28 PM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    i'm coming from a '19 ram..you'd be very surprised about my list :)

6. Jul 30, 2020 at 1:29 PM
    travelinscout

travelinscout New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP MGM
  7. Jul 30, 2020 at 1:39 PM
    Bgdv1

Bgdv1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Butler
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5P
    Bilstein 5100's, AR wheels, 275 70 17 Cooper AT3, Airlift bags, Powerstop brakes/rotors, 12voltsolutions remote start, tinted windows.
    I'd like to go from a 4Runner to Tundra. We have a 19 CM Limited that my wife drives mostly. I keep wanting to pick up another Tundra but hasn't happened yet.

8. Jul 30, 2020 at 6:01 PM
    Starr

Starr Life Off the Road, off the Grid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    SouthEast Maui
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 3rd Gen 2017 quicksand TRD OR, T4R 5th Gen TRD ORP silver , Tundra 2000 TRD OR silver, Deere 5300 4wd, Wrangler 1994 ARB air lockers, 1998 BMW R100RTL.
    KDSS, Baja Sport amber fogs, PRO Black wheels, BFG KO2's
    Enjoy the new 'runner. You'll get over the driver's window with location. It grew on me.
    I still have & love my 2000 Tundra that I bought new in late 1999. The new T4Rs are as good now as the early Tundras were back then.

Products Discussed in

To Top