1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transfer case shifter question

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by SWTrail, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Feb 12, 2017 at 6:58 PM
    SWTrail

SWTrail [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 4Runner TE
    Ok, possibly a dumb question...today I was changing the auto shifter and reoriented the transfer case knob to straighten it out. Every time I attempted to twist the TC shift knob I could feel the whole shifter twist and make a popping sound where it attaches to the TC. I've heard another Trail make the same noise. I removed the knob and then put it back on...it tightened about 180* to far. Basically upside down. I couldn't really get it to really go any further so rather than just force it I backed it off half a turn to be straight. It made the popping sound quite a few times. I'm guessing it's the shifter moving slightly on the locating pins and return spring.

Which brings me to my question...is it possible to damage the shifter where it goes into the TC from twisting/tightening the shift knob? I wouldn't think so unless you really forced (which I tried to avoid), but I thought I'd ask.

Products Discussed in

To Top