1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trans woes in a 92 4x4 3.0-5spd

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by GrumpyBobby, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Dec 21, 2015 at 6:51 PM
    GrumpyBobby

GrumpyBobby [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 4x4-5spd 3.0V6
    trans oil change
    I picked up a Toyota for the first time in years. Since returning to TX and needing a commuter/weekend truck this seemed like a good choice. It runs pretty good, and has minimal rust. However in just a few weeks the transmission syncros sen to have really gone south. I drained the old oils and added new, as well as filled what was an almost empty transfer case. Drained only about a pint of BLACK oil out of the TC, the TRANS oil was dark brown with gold dust. At the bottom of the trans case I drug out just a small amount of grey matter with a Qtip and none from the TC. It's hard shifting 1-2 & R and almost all make a chirp on the way into gear. When in N it sounds like it is trying to find a gear, quietest when the TC is in N as well. 1st and 2nd both have some chatter while under way, until the accelerator is released and the load is from the rear. It then calms to normal, thrust bearing ?

No doubt this trans need a rebuild but I'd like to confirm the status of the TC as well before going out on a limb. In searching I found Marlin Crawler as a source for a rebuilt trans 1200.00 for a R150F. Just wondering if anyone has used them or might know of a more local source for a rebuild (Houston TX).

It has other concerns but I'll try and keep the post topic related for ease of confusion for myself and others.

Happy to find a place to read up some on the Toy, Cheers

Products Discussed in

To Top