1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tranny leak

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Pipefitter, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Jul 15, 2017 at 9:45 AM
    Pipefitter

Pipefitter [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a 97 limited 2 wd.it has a tranny leak and I am not sure where it's coming from?? Need some ideas! HELP!!

2. Jul 16, 2017 at 8:52 PM
    larramo

larramo 3ed gen faithfully

Member:
    First Name:
    larry
    clearlake ca
    Vehicle:
    4 runner
    3" lift but mostly all stock not a scratch on it it is pristine condition amazing for being 19 years old.
    did you check your trans cooler lines and it depends on where the leak is coming from the front or the rear need to pull off your skid plates drive it and see where its coming from.could be something as simple a trans cooler line or loose trans pan bolts. which you should service the trans every 60.000 miles if you have an automatic transmission new fluid filter and gasket.use toyota certified fluid its synthetic and expensive $65 per gallon it takes a gallon and a qt.trust me its worth it my trans was shifting hard until i changed the fluid and filter with the fluid i am talking about.you can special order it thew orileys don't use any of that stop leak you will screw your trans.while you are under there service your driveline there are 6 zerk fittings on your drive line if yours drys out the u joints will start to wobble and mess up the oil seal between the trans and the driveline which will leak its not hard to fix it's just time consuming.also service your front axle transfer case IF YOU HAVE 4 WHEEL DRIVE rear axle with75+90 gear oil only do not use 90 weight oil it ill take 6 quarts to drain and fill all 3 need a number 10 allen and do the fill plug first that way if it dosnt want to come out you wont leave your axle with no oil when you put the drain and fill plug back in don't over tighten them you will deform the crush washer. LARRY B

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

Products Discussed in

To Top