1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tpms Sensors for 2022 Trd Orp

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Redwood, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Apr 21, 2022 at 2:11 PM
    Redwood

Redwood [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner TRD Off Road
    Hoping someone has been through this. The only posts I can find are for older models. I don't believe the dealer even knows. Purchased the Bronze Trd wheels #PTR20-35110-F5 from the dealer for my '22 4Runner Trd Orp. Want to keep both sets of rims so not swapping sensors. The dealer says sensor #42607-02050 this # doesn't come back even for a 4runner. Booklet that came with rims says sensor #42607-33022 this # only goes to '17 4Runner. Previous posts say use sensor #42607-48010 which is good for up to '21 4runner. My '22 has rubber valve stem sensors though not aluminum. Anyone know for sure what's correct for '22. I would have thought sensors for the OEM rims would be fine in Trd wheels but the goofy # from my dealer has me going.

2. Apr 21, 2022 at 2:18 PM
    DesertRob

DesertRob New Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2022 MBM ORP
    I don't know the sensor number but the dealership transferred my factory 2022 TRD ORP TPMS sensors into the Matte Black TRD Pro wheels for me and they work fine.

I know they didn't add new ones because they absolutely would have charged me for them and they didn't.

They're also black rubber valve stems.

3. Apr 22, 2022 at 6:44 AM
    Redwood

Redwood [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for this. Sounds like the OEM rubber ones will do just fine and better for compatibility. I think the booklet that came the rims is a little dated. Going to order the 42607-02050 sensors from what I can see that's the number for the rubber stemmed ones. Booklet says use 20 degrees sensors which all aluminum rims use I believe. Paid for black lug and lock nuts so would rather have black rubber stems as well. Plus they don't corrode. Called the dealer again even though the their online parts website doesn't list 42607-02050 for a 4Runner at all they claim their internal software does for OEM stems via the V.I.N. They say follow the booklet and use 42607-33022 metal stems though. I'll post an update later when parts arrive.

4. May 1, 2022 at 4:43 PM
    Redwood

Redwood [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sensors have arrived and yes OEM #42607-02050 rubber stemmed TPMS sensors work just fine in the Bronze TRD wheels I purchased for my 2022 ORP. This is contrary to the booklet that comes with the rims. Was able to add the new sensors easily through the change wheel set function and initialize. Didn't even need my fancy scan tool. Looks much better with the black rubber TPMS sensors and black lug nuts than the old style aluminum sensors and won't rot out as quick. Quite happy with this look on a midnight black 4Runner.

UtahSooner, xola3que and Spare Parts like this.
  5. May 1, 2022 at 5:56 PM
    DesertRob

DesertRob New Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2022 MBM ORP
    Pics, pleeeeeeeease? Was back and forth between bronze and matte black with my Midnight Black. Curious how yours turned out.

6. May 1, 2022 at 6:38 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    You were able to switch over the sensors in the runners system? If so, please guide me to what tools may be required, although you did say you didn’t need your scan tool. I want to be able to set up winter and summer wheels, and hope to switch them myself.

7. May 2, 2022 at 7:45 AM
    neverEnoughRice

neverEnoughRice New Member

Member:
    Good to know I ordered the correct sensors (Part #42607-02050) then! I wanted to do a tire rotation with my spare and the wheel I ordered didn't have the sensor. Wasn't sure if it was compatible at first but the Toyota parts website confirmed it was for my 2022 MY. I ordered mine from Toyota Parts Deal even though their website doesn't have the year 2022 to choose from yet.

You don't need any OBD tools if you have a newer MY(>2020 I think). There is a menu option in the settings tab that says "TPWS" and then 2 more options in there. I believe it is "Reset" to add a new TPMS and "Change set" to add a different set of tires. Newer Runners with the updated sensors automatically sync with the system after driving a few miles. I don't remember where I read it but someone mentioned that the max is 8 sensors, could be wrong though.

xola3que and Spare Parts[QUOTED] like this.
  8. May 2, 2022 at 7:50 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    thanks for the info, Ill be checking it out.

9. May 2, 2022 at 10:02 AM
    Loco x Toyota

Loco x Toyota New Member

Member:
    Cedar Park, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro Solar Octane
    I just ordered some generic TPMS sensors from tire rack, I'll test the feature of "change wheel" next week and see if they pick up the signal
    if not, OBD2 scan tool relearn still not a problem

Spare Parts likes this.
  10. May 2, 2022 at 3:48 PM
    Redwood

Redwood [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pics coming raining a lot here right now tomorrow I hope. Can't speak for aftermarket sensors. Have learned to stick with OEM sensors the hard way. My son's 2020 Tundra TRD PRO had aftermarket sensors for the snow tires and were nothing but problems. Was able to write the sensor ID's to the truck with my scanner and were good but every time he went over 50 mph the signal was lost and warning lights came on. He finally gave up and put up with the warning light for the winter. Problem gone the day the factory Pro wheels/sensors were put back on. For my 4Runner and OEM sensors just use the steering wheel controls go to settings on dash display scroll to TPWS push the center dot button and scroll to "change wheel set" wait for the warning light to blink 3 times. While ID registration is being performed the light will blink for about 1 minute and show *___* psi drive for 25 mph or more for 10 to 30 minutes with occasional left and right turns. Registration is complete when tire psi is displayed. After that initialize what you want for tire psi settings and your good to go.

11. May 2, 2022 at 4:13 PM
    Loco x Toyota

Loco x Toyota New Member

Member:
    Cedar Park, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro Solar Octane
    I've heard the similar story too, that's why I went with tirerack for TPMS, they are $40 ish a piece vs OEM $60 ish, but they are Toyota specific, I've had them on my Tacoma for months no issue.

these are what I'll be putting on the 4Runner next week. From the OEM ones I bought for my Corolla, they look exactly the same

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 6.12.35 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 6.12.25 PM.jpg

neverEnoughRice and greycoast4 like this.
  12. May 4, 2022 at 1:08 PM
    Redwood

Redwood [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    @ DesertRob. Here's a couple of pics. I'm happy. It's a not in your face look. More subtle than the OEM Off road wheels. Don't get me wrong I like the OEM wheels and I am keeping them. I like the look of the OEM black rubber TPMS sensors on this wheel which is why I stuck with OEM year specific. Still wondering why TRD wheels don't come factory on a TRD 4Runner but it is what it is. Pro style wheels just not black or BBS forged. They are an addon it seems. Fine by me not interested in trying to make it look like something it's not. Wrapped them in Michelin LTX M/S tires which is fine for me. Went to my local craft store and got some bronze paint to touch up the stick on wheel weights so they would blend in nicely. Still waiting for the OEM black lug nuts to come in. They've been on backorder for weeks now. TRD Wheels 2.jpg TRD Wheel.jpg

DesertRob likes this.
  13. May 5, 2022 at 5:23 AM
    DesertRob

DesertRob New Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2022 MBM ORP
    Looks great. Nice touch on the weights!

14. May 12, 2022 at 10:41 AM
    Loco x Toyota

Loco x Toyota New Member

Member:
    Cedar Park, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro Solar Octane
    I tried the "change wheel" setting when I installed the new wheels tires and generic Toyota specific TPMS sensors from tirerack.
    The TPMS dash light was on for almost an hour and I had to drive about 50 miles, but eventually, it recognized the new sensors without any issue. Not having to reprogram is awesome!!

Spare Parts likes this.
  15. May 12, 2022 at 5:52 PM
    Redwood

Redwood [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Glad it worked but wow fifty miles sounds crazy. I used dealer sourced OEM sensors and they all registered and initialized within 5 miles and a few minutes of starting the "Change Wheel Set". Had to first pull over on a secondary highway and stop to start it but not shut the truck off. It doesn't like stop and go driving while performing this function. I did find the process a little confusing though. Maybe I didn't do it right but it worked. Having to be stopped to initiate the ID registration wait for the TPMS lights to blink then no real signs it was doing anything. Then while driving having to back out of the "Change Wheel Set" screen then go to the info screen and scroll to the tire pressure display just to see the blank readings to see if it was doing anything. Then waiting for the truck to populate the display. Would have thought the function once started would go straight to that screen. After the psi was displayed I had to stop again to shut the truck off, restart and in park scroll to "Set Tire Pressure" then drive back. Owners manual says it needs to be done after ID registration or tire rotation. Guessing this let's the truck figure out what ID goes with what wheel after registration. Apparently you can set the base line tire psi setting up or down at this point as well. Never got that far though no need default setting of 32 psi was good for me.

16. May 12, 2022 at 6:02 PM
    Loco x Toyota

Loco x Toyota New Member

Member:
    Cedar Park, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro Solar Octane
    Yeah, I thought it wouldn't work for me after 5 mins of not registering, so I just gave up and kept driving, but eventually the dashes in the pressure reading turned into numbers. I later tried inflating more pressure and the vehicle displays correctly so I can be sure it's reading exactly my tires.

I don't think you need to do "change wheel set" after a tire rotation. For those Toyotas that I have/had which directly display individual tire pressure readout, after the tire rotation, the vehicle will display the position before the rotation (wrong location), but after sometime, it'll correct itself. It's quite interesting technology, the TPMS receiver module can do the calculation with inputs such as speed, steering angle, wheel rotation to figure out exactly which sensor is at which position.

Products Discussed in

To Top