1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toytec BOSS or Toytec Ultimate???

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by r0nnierae, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Nov 25, 2017 at 8:55 AM
    r0nnierae

r0nnierae [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Raezor
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Gray Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium w/3rd row
    2016 SR5 Magnetic Gray Premium 3rd Row, Tints, LED internal, LED backup light, amber marker lights - grill, amber fog lights, black out kit - emblems, night shade - tail lights, smoked front marker lights, hitch step, plastidip roof rack, N-Fab nerf bars 3inch, AVS external visor, AVS hood protector, Bilstein 5100's shocks all around, Old Man Emu Springs 3/2, JBAOffroad UCA's
    So i have them in my cart but cant make up my mind.... is there that much of a difference besides the shocks? Also the BOSS states: "Note: Boss front coilovers are only designed to work with stock front lower control arms" does that mean i dont have to bye after market UCA's? and with the Ultimate i do?

Advice please? Experience?

will be installing this to a 2016 SR5.

upload_2017-11-25_8-51-59.jpg

2. Nov 25, 2017 at 9:37 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    LCAs and UCAs are totally different.

Hardly anyone replaces LCAs on a basic lift.

Some people do choose to replace UCAs, but either kit should work with stock UCAs assuming you keep the front around 2.5".

Frankly, neither kit impresses me much. I don't care for adjustable coil overs as those feel gimmicky to me (see below). I'm fairly certain the coils in both are Eibach, which are good but not as expensive as the kit coils, and I believe the rear shocks are Bilstein 5100, maybe 5160. I'm unsure what struts are in the front coil overs.

I personally would put a setup together yourself. You don't need a diff drop, you don't need UCAs, etc. A good setup can be had for under $800 at Wheelers - 2 T1 2.5" front coils, 2 T13 1.5" rear coils, 4 Bilstein 5100s.

I had the BOSS kit with Total Chaos UCAs on my 2014 TE and the front sagged badly and the preload is very awkward to adjust once the coilovers are installed, so don't think you will be playing around with settings and such, it's inconvenient. The UCAs were $600 wasted, they served 0 purpose and actually required a shitload of maintenance and squeaked constantly.

I'm getting ready to lift my 2017 and based on my personal experiences with the BOSS, TC UCAs, I opted for the Wheelers setup I described above.

Opinions vary. Good luck.

Backslider likes this.
  3. Nov 25, 2017 at 6:44 PM
    Gramps

Gramps New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Some Old Guy that knows nothing
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    Just some stuff to make mall crawling easier.
    From experience I would recommend the BOSS Kit over the ultimate kit. The BOSS kit has been great on both my Tacoma and my 4th gen 4r. Just bought a 2018 SR5 Premium this week and it will most likely get a BOSS 2.5 kit in the future. Really liking the ride on I have felt on the 2.5's so far. But I am picky on my ride. My Tacoma now runs a full ICON 2.5 system. The rear has custom valving for my needs.

As noted in the post above the diff drop is optional. But I would advise getting UCA'S if you are going 2.5" or full 3"s of lift. SPC's are a really good all around UCA. No uniball squeaks and a greasable BJ. Also the SPCs have an adjustable BJ so you can dial in the alignment perfectly.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

4. Nov 26, 2017 at 5:15 AM
    billnourse

billnourse New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Bloomfield, NM
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    Toytec Ultimate lift, SSO Slimline bumper and 10,000# winch, emblem blackout, hood scoop wrap.
    I have the Ultimate at 2.5 with 650 front coil and like it alright, but I have had nothing to compare to. I did not replace UCA's and dealer said it aligned within spec. It tracks and drives alright, but I don't have enough miles to know about tire wear.

Do the prices I see in your post include installation? Looking at the Toytec page, the price for either kit should be about 1,320.00. I only paid 1700 for mine installed.

Bill

5. Feb 22, 2019 at 6:58 PM
    Dltnate

Dltnate New Member

Member:
    Hey I had a question on your boss rear kit how does the ride feel? Is it soft and bouncy? Or does handle pretty well? I have a 3rd gen 4Runner and I’m trying to figure out what rear 3 inch lift to go with. I was debating OME 891 with 5100s. Or the toytec boss rear lift. Any advice what help! Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top