1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota extended warranty?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by rmiked, May 16, 2023.

1. Sep 22, 2023 at 5:57 AM
    gmoliver

gmoliver New Member

Member:

2. Sep 22, 2023 at 6:01 AM
    gmoliver

gmoliver New Member

Member:
    Read the posts and the answer will be revealed to you bro.:oldglory:

3. Sep 22, 2023 at 11:05 AM
    Tino

Tino New Member

Member:
    New York City
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 Premium
    Just accessories
    Was just wondering? Are those cali raised cat shields considered a modification as far as the dealer voiding the extended warranty is concerned.

4. Sep 22, 2023 at 11:37 AM
    Nubes

Nubes Toyota Addict

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Short answer is no. In order to void warranty due to any modifications you make, the modification has to have caused the damage you are trying to warranty.

5. Sep 22, 2023 at 12:03 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    thank you

thank you.

I stand by my statement, this forum is for us and should be helpful, including saving money. Any company that hides pricing is not a company I want to support, and if folks don’t like they are not selling their over priced stuff, maybe needs to stop trying to screw everyone and treat people fairly.

peelxite likes this.
  6. Sep 22, 2023 at 12:04 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    Read my post above and catch my point. :frustrated:

7. Sep 22, 2023 at 1:07 PM
    Deuxdiesel

Deuxdiesel New Member

Member:
    SE MI
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5P
    I bought my Platinum warranty 4 years ago when I purchased my 4R with 30K on it. I paid around $1,000 at Wolverine Toyota. I just found out my water pump needs replacing at 70K miles, but it is totally covered. Around $400 labor, $300 parts, so it almost pays for itself.

T in Texas, Spare Parts and Nubes like this.
  8. Sep 24, 2023 at 5:03 PM
    stephbm6

stephbm6 New Member

Member:
    West Jordan, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro

So if I get the 10yr warranty it'll really be a 7yr after the 3yr factory warranty right?

9. Sep 24, 2023 at 7:47 PM
    BobRoberts

BobRoberts New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Nautical Blue ORP
    That is correct

MooreKen likes this.
  10. Sep 26, 2023 at 12:34 PM
    gmoliver

gmoliver New Member

Member:
    It’s important to note and understand that they are Extended Service Plans and not an actual “warranty”. The BtoB is a warranty in that it will cover nearly everything during the warranty period. The ESP does not. It will only cover what is specified and outlined in the actual wording of the plan for the duration of the plan and possibly include a deductible.

jgalt likes this.
  11. Sep 26, 2023 at 1:07 PM
    BobRoberts

BobRoberts New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Nautical Blue ORP
    The plan some here have purchased is the “platinum” version, and has no deductible.

Items covered are listed on the attachment. It also outlines what is NOT covered

Attached Files:

12. Sep 26, 2023 at 3:54 PM
    TeslasBigCarbonFootprint

TeslasBigCarbonFootprint New Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD ORP Super Ice Cap White
    2014 Neglected by the previous owners 2020 is an abused former rental... 2023 New I've been buying above my pay grade ☹️
  13. Sep 26, 2023 at 11:39 PM
    MooreKen

MooreKen 2023 TRD PRO “Solar Octane”

Member:
    I read the list of covered vs uncovered and found it to be pretty reasonable. The Car Care Nut Guy goes thru the list and points out that much of the covered items are things that he has never seen fail on a Toyota but there are quite a few items that in my case (if you plan on keeping the vehicle 10 years /100K miles) there is a good chance the plan could pay for itself. Additionally, I’m viewing it as added value since it’s transferable one time should I ever sell. I just wish the verbage regarding suspension was more clear. But since mine has Toyota’s Fox suspension I’m planning on replacing it myself at some point since it’s a normal wear item. ($3000) but should it out right fail, then I’d have to probably prove my case for it to be covered.
    Finally, I will mention that if you plan on making lot’s of modifications to wheel size, suspension, wenches (things that add lot’s of front end weight) then you might run into issues with getting things covered under both factory warranty and the Extended VSA because some mods add additional strain to components causing them to break or wear out early. (Just repeating what the Car Care Nut Guy said on his 4 Runner video)

14. Sep 29, 2023 at 6:01 PM
    4 shopper

4 shopper New Member

Member:
    Shopping for a 4runner for my son. Keep seeing info on calling Jerry for deal on exteded warranty. Im in California, can I buy an exteded warranty from him? If i'm reading all this right I have to have a 4 runner with less than 36,000 and 3 years old to get that 10 year wanrranty? Also, do I have to buy the $ runner from a Toyota dealership? Maybe i should reach out to Jerry....but hoping someone here would know. i'm looking at a 2020/2021 Limited 4 runner. i know nothing about them. Assuiming you all here hightly recommend the 4 runner. He is 17 and I'd like him to be safe and be able to take it to college with him in 2 years. Any info from you experienced 4 runner owners would be greatly appreciated.

MooreKen likes this.
  15. Sep 29, 2023 at 6:18 PM
    TeslasBigCarbonFootprint

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2014 Neglected by the previous owners 2020 is an abused former rental... 2023 New I've been buying above my pay grade ☹️
    First, speak to Jerry to get the most up-to-date information. What I was told in July of 2022 may not be pertinent any longer. At that time, I was told that my certified used vehicle needed to have the extended warranty purchased at the same time as my car purchase.

As for practicality, where is your son going to school? Parking in and around campus is very different between UCSD and University of South Dakota...

A big gangly vehicle might not be good for somebody unless he's already exhibited excellent vehicle control skills.

I've got two kids in college right now both driving RAV4s.

16. Sep 29, 2023 at 10:14 PM
    MooreKen

Member:
    The first 4Runner that made an impression in my mind was one that a LT in the USAF had all thru college and drove to his first duty station. I told myself some day I want one of those. Point is, he’ll love it. It would be nice if he had plenty of behind the wheel time before hand. My bet is any accident will most likely be parking lot stuff. As long as it’s not already a certified pre owned, the you are correct about the 36K/ 3y .

17. Sep 29, 2023 at 10:24 PM
    TeslasBigCarbonFootprint

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Another likely scenario is that there'll be a bunch of kids all piling in... $5,000 medical payments might be a good, lawsuit-avoiding, insurance coverage.

A front and rear (+passenger) 3-channel dash cam system would be an excellent investment... Along with a contract expressly detailing the terms and conditions while operating the vehicle, maintenance and care, etc...

18. Oct 2, 2023 at 2:09 PM
    Deuxdiesel

Deuxdiesel New Member

Member:
    SE MI
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5P
    I don't know what changed, but I just dropped off my 4R for the water pump replacement and the estimate is now $1,300. The extended warranty pays for itself just like that.

19. Oct 2, 2023 at 3:34 PM
    rmiked

rmiked [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fort Mill, SC
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP, Lunar Rock , Moonroof, rear sliding cargo deck, cargo mat
    I am the OP. A timing chain cover oil leak will cost you $5000 at the dealer. Ask me how I know. It happened to my 2016 Tacoma. They said the Toyota procedures required removing the engine to do it. That matches what the Car Care Nut says for Tacoma. I’m not sure if the 4 Runner requires engine removal? But since 2016 there are more safety systems (radar, collision avoidance, BSM etc). Also the 4 Runner has expensive things the Tacoma didn’t have associated with rear hatch. I don’t see how you can go wrong especially since it’s refundable (pro-rated) and transferable.

20. Oct 2, 2023 at 3:50 PM
    rmiked

rmiked [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fort Mill, SC
    Vehicle:
    Does anyone know IF the VSA covers the sensors for the TSS. Like collision avoidance sensor, radar for adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitor sensors? I have read the coverage and while the brakes are generously addressed along with cruise control module, I don’t see TSS features specifically listed or excluded. Might be good question for Jerry. I just called Jerry. He said all the factory TSS is covered. He said the brochure needs to be updated. I asked him how he knew it was covered. He bought the Platinum policy for his wife’s car. He said her BSM stopped working. He got it fixed under the $0 deductible VSA and didn’t cost him a dime. I believe Jerry. He also said he has received many phone calls from forum members.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  21. Oct 3, 2023 at 5:04 PM
    pastoreater

pastoreater New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 sr5 2wd toyo 115T
    For any shoppers out there, maybe you can use the extended warranty as a way for both you and the dealer to save face, since it contributes to the transaction price but you can get a partial refund. Like . . . let them bring it up and sell it to you after you have that little conversation about extra cheddar on top of the sticker price. They will come in over the low prices listed here . . . basically try and pay for a warranty instead of anything else, then return to that finance office in X months and tell 'em you realize than you like driving on dirt, you like silt/water, your friends all are on 35's, you want a swingout tire carrier, you like the quality of service and access to mechanic personnel that your independent shop offers. I haven't canceled my dealer fee plan yet, I guess I'll edit this after I do. I'm expecting to pay an admin/doc fee as part of this cancellation.

He thinks he should be able to pay a lower price than you and he says he'll keep his mouth shut, or more, to get there.

22. Oct 29, 2023 at 7:37 PM
    peelxite

peelxite New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    leep

Preach! What, so we're supposed to take it up the passenger side so the corp can rake it in and NOT also respect a consumer's motivation and obligation to have all the info they can. Just sold my house to a wholesaler. got some bids. This guy...first pass from an up and coming company that sorta brokers those sales. He was COMPLETELY off the rez. went on and on about how much work needed to be done/wasn't ready for market...I'm like "ok, I thought your company handled situations like this...him "we do every day". At this point, I'm backing up, noding but this guy is getting, like angry???? He then pointed to a folder from a competitor who'd already been through. Our boy, he gives me this sad/angry/devastated look like I took his wife on slow walks through the park. Then (this is where it relates).

the Rep asks "well, do you have a number in mind?"
    Me: Yep
    Him: what is it?
    Me: oh, let me clarify. I invited you here, as a representative of your company to inform me of what you were willing to pay for it...not what I think it's worth. Had to ask the guy to leave three times. I maneuvered the dining room table between us.

After a discussion with the CS manager ,I agreed to let them send someone else out. I think they're terrified I'm gonna burn them down. their offer came in over 20% higher than the next bid, and 30% or more higher than the other three bids i got. bwahahaha

23. Oct 29, 2023 at 7:44 PM
    peelxite

peelxite New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    leep
    solid advice generally here. Had a professor, she was Israeli, so of course did her time in the armed forces growing up.
    the night before boot camp, her uncle pulls her aside and tells her that, should someone ask if she plays a musical instrument, he advised she didn't answer.
    Sure enough, next morning, almost first thing...the DI asks for as show of hands of people who play a musical instrument.
    Everyone who raised a hand got TWO WEEKS latrine duty...the lesson (esp in that kind of threat environment, regardless of what side you're on):
    Don't share anything, even something trivial unless you know WHY and you have a GOOD REASON.
    I never forgot that, I don't always keep my mouth shut...but I owe that professor for her advice keeping me out of a few scrapes lol

24. Oct 29, 2023 at 7:57 PM
    peelxite

peelxite New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    leep
    Clarification please, admittedly I haven't researched Toyota warranties, but are you sure that your coverage is described that you are covered for "X" years AND X miles? It's only a word, but I don't rember ever seeing this. it has always been, with any of these warranties "X miles OR x years" and crucially ended with "which ever comes first"

I don't want to appear to be nitpicking, but that's a BIG difference...can you verify which it is?

25. Oct 30, 2023 at 4:59 AM
    rmiked

rmiked [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fort Mill, SC
    Vehicle:
    Yes, you are correct. My use of the word “and” was intended to list the miles and time compared to factory warranty. But if you get the 10 year/100,000 extended warranty, it’s whichever comes first. As you know the 3/36 warranty covers more items than the 5yr/60,000 mile drivetrain warranty. The extended warranty 10/100,000 covers listed items addressing both categories of issues. The big advantage I see is the very expensive nature of repairing most anything. My dealer in January was charging $145.50/ hour labor. The collision avoidance electronics and rear hatch items (motors, wiper, etc) would exceed the cost of the warranty. Not to mention the drivetrain (engine, trans, diffs, transfer case). Like I said in original post, my 2016 Tacoma needed the timing chain cover resealed due to oil leak. Needing to remove the engine, the cost was $2950 only charging 1/2 labor rate! Apparently Toyota only allows the dealer to charge 50% labor when using Toyota extended warranty. Using the warranty booklet was pain free. It took about 2 hours for the dealer service dept to call the booklet phone number and get the repair approved. After that, it costs me nothing with $0 deductible.

26. Oct 30, 2023 at 8:47 AM
    Nubes

Nubes Toyota Addict

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    As far as I've seen, the anecdotal evidence suggests that the mileage does not play a role in the purchase cost as it is back dated to the original purchase date. Now the price may go up if Toyota decides to institute a price increase across the board on their plans just like everything else that has been going up in the last couple of years.

27. Nov 29, 2023 at 2:48 PM
    Fortuner

Fortuner New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium w/KDSS
    To anyone on the fence...I found Jerry Johnson's info here and on Tacomaworld, and decided to give him a call for the extended warranty...I'm glad I did. I was hesitant at first, but there's 3+ forums where users had reported positive experiences, so that helped keep my mind at ease.

He was easy to work with, seemed very transparent and provided pricing that was $800 cheaper than what my local dealer offered. I purchased a 7yr/100K through him, and highly recommend him. Contact is below:

Jerry Johnson
    Warranty Manager
    Midwest Toyota
    Midwest Superstore
    Phone 800-530-5789

T in Texas and Slapping Kittens like this.
  28. Feb 25, 2024 at 7:41 PM
    John4x4

John4x4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    None
    Can anyone clarify, I'm the 2nd owner can I still purchase the platinum warranty before the 3/36 is up? Some saying you have to do it at time of sale

29. Feb 25, 2024 at 7:59 PM
    John4x4

John4x4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    None
    Send you an FU. Well that's nice of Jerry to take your money and leave you with that

30. Feb 25, 2024 at 11:53 PM
    MooreKen

Member:
    F/U = Follow Up; and yes you are eligible. I was the second owner and had less than 3/36 and was eligible. I see you are from Michigan. Just know that “rust” issues need to be addressed in the original 3/36. Toyota’s Platinum doesn’t cover rust issues, trim, etc…

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024

Products Discussed in

To Top