1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota extended warranty?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by rmiked, May 16, 2023.

1. Aug 5, 2023 at 3:18 PM
    TRD Ted

TRD Ted New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    interesting I’ve never heard of this before. I just did a little research and geico rolls it into an insurance policy which cost a lot more than my current provider so it’s not worth it. Progressive will do it with a stand alone policy and with an online quote it’s double what the the Toyota is. You also need to maintain your vehicle at the severe use schedule or they will deny the claim.

2. Aug 6, 2023 at 9:52 PM
    TeslasBigCarbonFootprint

TeslasBigCarbonFootprint New Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD ORP Super Ice Cap White
    2014 Neglected by the previous owners 2020 is an abused former rental... 2023 New I've been buying above my pay grade ☹️
    In tomorrow's mail, an envelope from Jerry...
    mailpieceImg (2).jpg

3. Aug 7, 2023 at 9:02 AM
    Tino

Tino New Member

Member:
    New York City
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 Premium
    Just accessories
    Hello

Can you tell me what your deductible is with the Geico Mechanical breakdown coverage and how many years and miles they will cover you up to? I have them as my auto insurance carrier. I'm a new member here sorry for not introducing myself. My name is Tino.

4. Aug 7, 2023 at 9:07 AM
    TRD Ted

TRD Ted New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Just purchased 8/125,000 for $1,500

djb1 likes this.
  5. Aug 7, 2023 at 9:25 AM
    Tino

Tino New Member

Member:
    New York City
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 Premium
    Just accessories
    Hi Ted

Did you purchase from Jerry? or where did you get it from if you went to a different dealer and what is the deductible.

6. Aug 7, 2023 at 10:25 AM
    TRD Ted

TRD Ted New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    I purchased from Jerry. It’s the platinum plan with no deductible. Took about ten minutes over the phone.

7. Aug 7, 2023 at 11:54 AM
    TeslasBigCarbonFootprint

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2014 Neglected by the previous owners 2020 is an abused former rental... 2023 New I've been buying above my pay grade ☹️
    Hello, Tino. Welcome to the Church of the Immortal 4Runner, please remove your hat and sit in the pew.

Check with whoever is offering you mechanical breakdown insurance to see if they will cover things like radio malfunctions, Toyota dealership calibration of radar and optical systems, wiring harness replacements in case of rodents or water intrusion right along with using OEM parts, especially important when it comes to the windshield and having the optical safety equipment, but equally as important is OEM headlights and tail lights because the plastics will age differently from a generic supplier. Also, there may be a clause about performance, not that it is probable with a Toyota as much as, say, a Mercedes-Benz... Will they cover malfunctions that are not leading to a breakdown? Will they cover a sensor that is inaccurately reading the fuel trim and making you have really bad gas mileage because it's under reporting the amount of air? The VSA covers it as if it's the new car warranty throughout the 10 years from purchase date if you get the 10-year Platinum coverage, there would be no deductible or co-pay involved.

In my two years as a GEICO field office representative in Nevada, I recall MBI was a spiff item. Meaning that it garnered a special commission as opposed to just selling a regular insurance policy which had a flat rate commission structure. By the way, working at GEICO is kind of like being a doctor at Kaiser Permanente, it's not really being an insurance agent just like it's not really being a doctor. You're part of a system and you must comply in spite of what is needed or is in the best interest of your client.

I would also encourage you to weigh it against a Toyota OEM parts policy using a VSA where items will be replaced with Toyota OEM items and using Toyota certified mechanics. No doubt, there is a clause in the MBI that states generic parts could be used in any or all occasions.

Also, it would be wise to find out who the plan administrator is and check reviews.

Happy shopping!

LuLu, rageandlove and Spare Parts like this.
  8. Aug 7, 2023 at 12:27 PM
    Tino

Tino New Member

Member:
    New York City
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 Premium
    Just accessories
    The deductible from the Geico MBI is 250 dollars which is ridiculous. That's the first time I have ever heard of a VSC with such a high deductible and for only 7 years and 100k miles. I need more years and a zero deductible. I already sent an email to Jerry and hopefully I will get a response either later today or tomorrow. I need 10 years and 125k. I almost forgot thank you Tesla for the response and the greeting to the forums and everyone else on here.

9. Aug 8, 2023 at 1:18 AM
    LuLu

LuLu New Member

Member:
    Utopia
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    OEM Crossbars OEM Hood Deflectors OEM Running Boards Tints
    The Geico 'MBI' - says it all. Doubt if electronic components are covered. Diagnosing and repairs for such are usually high.

10. Aug 12, 2023 at 2:04 PM
    lowflyer

lowflyer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP w/ KDSS <2021 Venture w/o KDSS <line of Tundras
  11. Aug 12, 2023 at 2:09 PM
    TeslasBigCarbonFootprint

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
    rmiked[OP] and lowflyer[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Aug 12, 2023 at 2:23 PM
    LuLu

LuLu New Member

Member:
    Utopia
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    In addition... how did you guys securely pay for the transactions across a different state.
    Not used to giving CC and CVV insecurely over the phone or email.

13. Aug 12, 2023 at 2:27 PM
    TeslasBigCarbonFootprint

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    I have no problem with it, and here is why...

If somebody were to steal that information, my credit card company would not only protect me, but they would automatically issue a new card.

That is one reason why you use a credit card and not a debit card for online /telephone orders. Debit cards may offer some protection, although there are many more hoops to jump through and delays in putting the funds back into your account.

As a side note, my Amazon, Costco and American Express cards all have email transaction notices available when the card is not present. If you're extremely worried about it, having that prompt can be assuring.

14. Aug 12, 2023 at 3:38 PM
    Shanky

Shanky New Member

Member:
    Over 210,000 miles in two 5th Gen 4Runners. Never had an issue outside of the standard warranty period. Maybe I saved $3000 in warranties I did not need. Maybe I’ve been playing Russian Roulette with a notoriously dodgy vehicle……

Unless an unexpected repair would cause true financial distress, my bias is against extended warranties. Even good ones.

djb1 and Old Tanker like this.
  15. Aug 12, 2023 at 3:52 PM
    TeslasBigCarbonFootprint

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    The new models feature rear cross traffic radar, front facing radar and optical recognition systems. In addition, they've got those horrible Panasonic-made (or is it Pioneer) head units with Toyota operating systems jammed into it.

In Southern California, labor times are over $120 an hour. I believe for a Prius RCTA recalibration they were doing a 7-hour labor book fee. $840 for RCTA calibration!

I believe it takes even longer on the optical calibration. The book that they go by is uniform amongst all the dealerships in Southern California and, deductive reasoning, probably all dealerships in the country. There may be differences in shop labor depending on the state.

It really isn't about the mechanical stuff, it is about the electronics. Hey, if a shock or strut goes bad, they're going to give you a pair of them for free. The head unit fails and you're looking at easily over $1,000 to replace it. I've had two radios fail in the last 10 years. Fortunately, both were within the 3-year, 36,000 mile warranty period (Subaru and Nissan). This just gives me the protection for an additional 7 years up to 100,000 miles.

One nice little side effect is that if your radio goes wonky, you go in with no deductible have them check it out and they'll do an update for you at no charge. If your labor rates are an hour for $120, they're going to book time you at 90 minutes, if I recall correctly.

To each his own, for something like $11.67 a month I would rather not dick around even worrying about if it's going to be covered and how much it's going to cost.

A $6 PCV valve suddenly turns into a $120 job when you count labor and retail parts pricing. You only get billed for 45 minutes of labor I believe.

wsu_runner likes this.
  16. Aug 12, 2023 at 10:31 PM
    Bald Michelins

Bald Michelins New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21' SR5P
    Took care of this today. Jerry is a true professional.

17. Aug 13, 2023 at 3:18 AM
    Hungryhawk

Hungryhawk New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Southern CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    I have the platinum 7 year, 100,000 and I actually used it when dealer repaired my Drive Line Shudder. A solenoid and valve failure in the transmission valve body caused a torque converter judder/shudder due to incorrect lock up and release of the FlexLock system. I was past the 60 months initial driveline period. Dealer replaced torque converter and transmission $$$.
    I bought mine at time of perchase thinking of all the electronic gizmos. I never thought it would be used for Transmission!

18. Aug 13, 2023 at 4:12 AM
    rmiked

rmiked [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fort Mill, SC
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP, Lunar Rock , Moonroof, rear sliding cargo deck, cargo mat
    I used the warranty to reseal the timing chain cover (for oil leak near power steering pump) on my 2016 Tacoma TRDOR. The bill for the repair was $2950, allowing only $72.50/hour labor rate. The retail labor rate is $145/hour. Apparently when getting repair under Toyota Financial extended warranty the dealer is only permitted to charge 1/2 labor rate. If I had to pay for the repair at full price it would have cost>$5000. They pulled the engine (removing the hood) to do the repair. It was $0 deductible. This one event sold me! Especially with the TSS systems (Collision avoidance, radar cruise, Lane departure, rear cross traffic alert) these sensors would be costly to repair. Not to mention costly things like the rear hatch window, wiper, defroster. On top of that if you decide to sell the vehicle you can cancel and get a prorated refund on unused warranty. Or transfer once to another buyer of your vehicle.

19. Aug 13, 2023 at 5:48 AM
    Tino

Tino New Member

Member:
    New York City
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 Premium
    Just accessories
    This Is how it works for anyone looking to get an extended warranty from Jerry.

You will receive your copy of paper work from me within 3 to 4 weeks by mail and the warranty will be active, Toyota will send you the warranty book within 4 to 5 weeks

And the warranty book will have all your information on your warranty

Thank you so very much for your Purchase and have a Blessed Night

Jerry Johnson.

My wife used her debit to avoid the extra fee which is what Jerry suggested. Did anyone get their paperwork sooner than the 4-6 time frame?

dbrad1985 likes this.
  20. Aug 13, 2023 at 9:04 AM
    TeslasBigCarbonFootprint

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    I paid on July 31st. He mailed the receipt August 3rd and I received on August 7th.

I will update when the packet arrives.

According to USPS Informed Delivery, I am getting my license plates tomorrow pretty much a straight 3 weeks.

21. Aug 13, 2023 at 2:20 PM
    Tino

Tino New Member

Member:
    New York City
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 Premium
    Just accessories

I'm a little confused. So you got your receipt pretty quickly. Secondly did he also do your license plates? that's where I am confused about?

LuLu likes this.
  22. Aug 13, 2023 at 2:39 PM
    TeslasBigCarbonFootprint

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    The purchase receipt, including the charge card slip and documentation that the VSA was sold to me came quickly. It is not the actual VSA contract, it is just proof that I paid for it. The paperwork even itemized the processing fee for using my credit card.

Jerry has been a very strong communicator and provided clear documentation of the transaction.

Now all I wait for is the official packet including the VSA contract and policy cards being mailed by Toyota's Financial Services office, which I think is in like Idaho or Wyoming, I forget.

As for the license plates, those would always be managed through the selling dealership (as you pay for your registration as part of the purchase price of the vehicle). Most states have a 3-month window that these plates can arrive in, mine are coming in 3 weeks

23. Aug 13, 2023 at 3:44 PM
    LuLu

LuLu New Member

Member:
    Utopia
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    Did you buy your 2023 T4R at the same dealership that Jerry works at? These are completely different transactions.

Am assuming you ordered the VSA over the phone. And you are yet to receive the package.

What percentage was charged for using your CC?

Are Certified checks no longer acceptable for getting VSA at a Toyota dealership?

I got my Honda Pilot extended warranty at MA Honda Dealership online. I mailed a check. Transactions was confirmed when the certified check got cleared.

24. Aug 14, 2023 at 6:03 AM
    Tino

Tino New Member

Member:
    New York City
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 Premium
    Just accessories
    I believe that there is a 40 dollar charge if you use the cc. As for my plates I got them the same day that we picked up the vehicle at the dealership which was on a Sunday. The only thing that we are waiting from the dmv would be the registration sticker and card with the plate information which is good for 2 years. We live in NYC. The labor rate here at the dealership is $160 per hour. Which is why we got it. We got a temp registration sticker from the dealer.

25. Aug 14, 2023 at 11:05 AM
    TeslasBigCarbonFootprint

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    The credit card usage fee is 3%. For the current 4Runner 10-year/100k VSA, that fee works out to be $40.80.

26. Aug 14, 2023 at 11:13 AM
    2016Pro

2016Pro Why all of the Pro hate?

Member:
    Waste of money

27. Aug 14, 2023 at 11:30 AM
    rmiked

rmiked [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fort Mill, SC
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP, Lunar Rock , Moonroof, rear sliding cargo deck, cargo mat
    My 2016 Tacoma repair of timing chain cover oil leak cost me $0 to fix. Bill was $2950 charging 1/2 labor rate. At the full labor rate (applicable without the warranty) the bill was >$5000. Repair involved removing hood and pulling engine.

28. Aug 14, 2023 at 1:49 PM
    Texas4Runner

Texas4Runner New Member

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth Texas
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner ORP+ CSM and Ice Cap
    Not a waste of MY money. Insurance is like your best friend, it's there when you need it. :yes:

29. Aug 14, 2023 at 2:00 PM
    2016Pro

2016Pro Why all of the Pro hate?

Member:
  30. Aug 14, 2023 at 2:44 PM
    TeslasBigCarbonFootprint

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Be kind to @2016Pro, he's got an old one that doesn't have radars, surround cameras and that god-awful Entune 6 or whatever they're calling that horrible head unit that has an MSRP of $4,946.61. For Christ's sake, replacing his windshield is only like $350; nothing like the $2,200 for our modern 5th gen 4Runners with the optical sensor system...

brownersd, 2016Pro and LuLu like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top