1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Care

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by wlamore, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Mar 27, 2017 at 10:48 AM
    wlamore

wlamore [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner SR5
    This members of this forum have been so helpful ever since I got my 3rd off road Toyota vehicle. 2 Tacoma and just purchased a 2015 4-runner with 13,000 miles on it now 30,000 miles and almost out of warranty by the time limit of months opposed to the miles.

I was thinking of purchasing the full extended warranty up to 8 yrs. 125,000 miles since the cost of the 1 of 5 computers such as the console that provides phone, music, cds, navigation etc. is at least $2,000 to replace I am told. That is almost the price itself for the warranty. Consumer reports says if you have had no trouble up to 35,000 that purchasing a warranty is a waste of the money. Any information on this topic or if you know a way to purchase a warranty online cheaper than the dealer charges that would be most appreciated.

Toyota dealership says it is better to purchase through them so you can just drive in and they fix it under the warranty, if not it has to be pre-approved by the people that sell the Toyota care package.

Again thank you for your help.

2. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:23 PM
    Dtopgun515

Dtopgun515 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Premium and 2013 TRD Sport Tacoma
    None...yet...
    I just bought a 2017 4runner and opted not to get a warranty. I've heard that warrantys usually cover the time frame that a vehicle will typically go without issues. Usually the issues start after the factory warranty ends. With more and more technology on vehicles I could see where it is appealing to consider warrantys. I'm on my third Toyota, had an 01 Tacoma that never had an issue up to 164k when I sold it, have a 13 Tacoma now with 76k and no issues, just bought my wife a 17 4runner currently less than 500 miles. If it makes you sleep better at night, get the warranty. If its not that big a deal I'd probably not worry about it.

3. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:31 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    I think the extended warranties are bullshit. I had a warranty through toyota that I purchased in Washington State. When I moved to Puerto Rico not only was the warranty not valid there, the item to be replaced (the head unit) was not covered under the warranty I had purchased. Save your money.

Palerider likes this.
  4. Mar 31, 2017 at 7:49 AM
    4Runner_Patrick

4Runner_Patrick New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD PRO Black
    Even with the factory warranty, I had both my front and rear diffs fail under 20 K and the dealer could not repair them without getting prior approval from Toyota. This involved 3 more hours of testing, which in the end cost Toyota 3 hours of diagnostic time. I would not get an extended warranty because it is too easy to deny claims.

5. Mar 31, 2017 at 7:35 PM
    alext2280

alext2280 On Instagram as Jerzydevil_4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Whiting NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Magnetic gray
    LEDs, hidden grill light bar, HIDs 5000k, Rhino roof rack
    I didn't get the warranty either because of the things everyone one else had said regarding what's covered. The finance manager tried scaring us with the whole 1 sensor can cost you $2k and that's why our mechanics get this warranty blah blah blah. Told her over 5 times no thank you. I said it's not in the budget then she told us we could put it on a credit card that has 0% interest from Toyota... NO thank you lady...she finally gave up and took her game face off and started talking about her grand kids and stuff.

Palerider and lodi781 like this.
  6. Mar 31, 2017 at 8:21 PM
    lodi781

lodi781 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    ARB BP-51 suspension, T-13 coils, BF Goodrich AT2 275 70 r17, Gobi rack, black oak LED single LB.

I got the same exact speech. I was like " I'll find the broken wire and solder it myself, thanks."

7. Mar 31, 2017 at 8:47 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Yep I had the same experience. When I told the guy I had paid for extended coverage and Toyota didn't warranty the headunit he was like oh, well... uh. Moving on... haha

8. May 9, 2017 at 10:02 AM
    obxbum01

obxbum01 New Member

Member:
    Glen Allen VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Primium
    Dealer didn't pressure me at all to buy the extended warranty. He agreed it was not needed on a new vehicle. However in the past I have purchased extended warranties on two used vehicles and in both cases the warranties paid more than they cost me. So on new vehicles I would say don't buy on used vehicles it could be a wise investment.

9. May 11, 2017 at 3:44 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt New Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    The extra $10 a month on my loan has been worth it, and it gives me some piece of mind. My warranty *does* cover things like the nav screen, etc...

I've never actually had to use the warranty on any Toyota I've ever owned (I'm up to 5 now), because well, it's a Toyota. But, it's still worth it to me.

10. May 14, 2017 at 11:42 AM
    Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited 2WD
    Window and hood deflectors, Pro-Z running boards, 20% TINT, LED lamps interior.
    I can not see buying any Extended Service Contract that can only be used at a dealership. That said. I don't buy them. We drive a 17 Honda CRV EXL Nav, 2016 4Runner Premium, and a 2017 Fiat Spider. The Spider has a 4-year 48-month bumper to bumper warranty (not a service contract).

Sometimes the ESCs are nice to get if you want to sell your vehicle to another. They have no worries and can transfer the ESC if they choose.

Products Discussed in

To Top