1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota 4Runner Frame Recall Campaign

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by DHiller617, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Jul 10, 2018 at 4:26 PM
    GandalfTheWhite

GandalfTheWhite New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Seattle, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2001 White 4Runner SR5 4X4
    My frame is in great condition. The body is the thing that wants to rust

2. Aug 6, 2018 at 3:28 PM
    toyrota

toyrota New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Vehicle:
    2002 4 Runner
    Dave.
    I just got my oil changed synth as always! and the mechanic showed me the frame rust. WOW! the oil cost me more than the truck is worth! Before the oil change He remarked on how nice my Truck looked, and said it was worth more then the blue book. I'm not on face book, but I wrote a complaint to the NHTSA. My local Toyota Dealer Said it was the frame manufacturer's fault. Japanese people hold them selves to be very honorable. The stack of frames behind the dealership for the Tacomas And Tundras show that they will step up, but only if there is mounting pressure to do so. The 4Runner owners with the same issue,are not worthy of any compensation for this Frame Design flaw. Not Honorable in my book!

PS. That was my Last oil change on a Toyota!

Ken

3. Sep 23, 2018 at 10:44 AM
    wolfie 8

wolfie 8 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 silver sport 125000
    18in.
    Same problem just wish I could take this 4/runner and put on display so thay can see just how bad it is mines a 2000 with 146000 mi.on it .runs good looks good till you look at the underside .tryed to fix just no way shock mounts GONE shoved through saarted taking gas tank out broke off all bolts tank rustef through HOPELESS got it w/110000 mi. On it NO i dont live up north what to do what to do hell of a loss for me

4. Oct 17, 2018 at 11:38 AM
    BOGDOG

BOGDOG New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    997SR5,2000L IMITED
    The frames rust from the inside out. It would be hard to coat the inside of the frame to prevent them from rusting apart. I was driving mine and heard a snap followed by noticing that it was very squirrely. I stopped and found that the rear control arm mount on passenger side had snapped off. The bottom inch or so of the frame was very thin with material rusted away on the inside. It was full thickness about 1" up. This is a safety issue and due to the number of these trucks still on the road Toyota is gambling that nobody gets hurt. I contacted NHTSA and Toyota.

Mdcutler and wolfie 8 like this.
  5. Oct 26, 2018 at 6:06 AM
    wolfie 8

wolfie 8 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 silver sport 125000
    18in.
    Yes im glad all the people with a good frame are happy with theres but i payed good money for a bad product and not only that i dont think anyone should be killed because toyota wont step up and address or own up to it rust problem it not just money we're talkin about it lives at risk and responsibilities on toyo part .all the monry in the world cant repace a loved one

BOGDOG likes this.
  6. Nov 16, 2018 at 6:42 PM
    ktowsley

ktowsley New Member

Member:
    Tonight I was surprised to have my Toyota dealer tell me that my 2005 4Runner frame was rusted out. He recommended that I not have them do the routine maintenance I had scheduled and he zeroed out the invoice. He questioned whether it was safe to drive, and said it would no longer pass the next inspection. The rest of the vehicle is in great shape. Despite doing oil undercoating ever since Toyota warranty expired, the frame was no match to the salty winter roads of NH. Guess I need to add my name to the NHTSA list. :(

7. Dec 3, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    shadow247

shadow247 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner
    These threads have never gone anywhere, and never will. Metal rusts, some trucks more that others. My 99 4runner has 382k, with plenty of beach time in that last 40k, and my frame still looks great.

Salt on the road is what kills these frames, I saw 2 to 3 year old trucks in Maine with significant rust on them due to the terrible winters.

Buy a used rust free frame and swap it, but I don't think it's worth it.

8. Dec 6, 2018 at 6:36 AM
    Mdcutler

Mdcutler New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4Runner
    None
    My frame is compromised.
    I have a 1998. It looks beautiful on inside/out for 20yr old age but the frame rust makes it worthless, unsafe and undrivable. And I’m not the only one. Other owners of the like that I’ve encountered have the same issue. I’m seriousy praying for a recall - it's useless and unsafe otherwise.

IMG_2146.jpg
    IMG_2148.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top