1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing Tips /Question 2018 TRD OFF road

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by PCRIDE4RUNNER, May 27, 2018.

1. May 27, 2018 at 7:36 PM
    PCRIDE4RUNNER

PCRIDE4RUNNER [OP] New Member

Member:
    SUPER DUPER
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Hi, I wanted to reach out to all y’all for some towing tips. At some point i’d like to buy a small camper trailer, gross weight around 3200lbs. This is the weight advertised on a new trailer. Does that weight include water resivioirs filled and estimated gear or is that inaddition? I’m guessing about another 500-800 lbs of weight gear. Let’s say that puts the total gross weight at 4200 lbs, the 4Runner has 5000 lb rating.

In the manual there are weight ratings. GCWR - gross combination weight rating. The vehicle + total trailer weight is 11,300 lbs max

The total capapticy weight limits for passenger and gear is 835 lbs if you have a locker, w/o the locker it’s 1165 lb (inside the 4 runner)

The curb weight of the vechical is 4400-4800 lbs

So let’s say I have a camp trailer fully loaded and comes in at 4200 lbs, + 4800 lbs curb weight of the 4 runner+ another 200 lbs of gear luggage and 2 adults 300lbs let say... so i’d be about 10,000 lbs with another thousand to spare. That could be 2 more passengers and their gear and i’d Be close to maxed.

Question

1) who here tows a small camp trailer in the 3200 lb range. Have you had any issues?

2) the manual says you need sway control if the trailer is 3000 lbs or more? What is that?

3) how is tongue weight load configured? i presume the trailer would have a dry tongue weight, then it’s about how you load the trailer would change it. How do you know your toung weight when fully loaded? I think the 4Runner has 1000lb rating

4) Any other tips would be great!

Thanks for reading my long post!!

2. May 29, 2018 at 11:03 AM
    JBTRD

JBTRD As usual, saying something stupid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 (The Real) Trail Edition
    2) it is something that helps with when someone passes you from the trailer going all over the road. Is is a little bar that hooks up from trailer to hitch

Products Discussed in

To Top