1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing not so great on F150 Lightening test

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by mac1usa, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Jul 14, 2022 at 8:41 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Interestingly, the 6th gen is rumored to have the ability to choose between running the ICE or Electric mode.

We shall see.

Trail Runnah and Thatbassguy like this.
  2. Jul 14, 2022 at 8:49 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I don't think I've ever anticipated the next generation of a vehicle as much as the 6th gen 4Runner. I was excited to hear they were bringing the Supra back, but that died when I found out about the BMW collaboration.

I'm strongly considering trading up if they really nail it. Maybe after the bugs are worked out.

nimby[QUOTED] and Trail Runnah like this.
  3. Jul 14, 2022 at 10:41 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I’m still a little jealous about the Hybrid jeep that joined us on that trip last year. Cruising up the rock in whisper mode lol.

I’m really warming to the idea of a hybrid. But not the usual flavor of hybrid. If I were in charge at toyota, I would take the 4runner, and totally run with the “overlanding” angle on the design and marketing. We might not like the word, but it’s what sells, and it captures what people want. We basically want a go-anywhere earth-rover and commuter. It would be even more 4runner than it is now!

The 4runner’s mission makes it too big/heavy to pretend it’s all about “being green”. That’s ok. The design/marketing angle needs to be:

-improved MPG/range for functions sake.
    - The battery needs to be simple and durable, and designed to cycle. Because we’ll be able to use it for our fridges, slide-out induction cooking stove, cordless chainsaws, even a bit of supplementary heat for winter camping if we want. They can cannibalize the Toyota forklift parts bin if they need to.
    -swap-able forklift batteries :). The 4runner needs to remain a 15 to 20 year vehicle.
    - It needs to have built in solar panels, constantly charging. Offer optional deployable solar panels.
    - Give us control over the electrical system with lots of gauges, switches, alerts….and overrides so that we can roll into camp with a full battery if we want. Yes, it can have auto mode, it can preserve it’s own health, but otherwise, let me make decisions how Im going to use it the electrical energy stored aboard.
    -The IC engine needs to be stone simple, accessible, and easily maintained. 4cyl normally aspirated please. Enough to power the vehicle in demanding off-road and max-load situations, all by itself. That can be accomplished through gearing if need be.
    -traditional drivetrain, like the hybrid jeep, to make use of gear reduction. This can ensure the vehicle has enough torque to deal with whatever it has to deal with, say for situations you prioritize charging and rely on IC only for propulsion. Also, because a traditional drivetrain is traditional.
    -Body on frame. Plenty of space for batteries between the frame rails.

Dont go crazy the with battery capacity. We just need enough to take advantage of the MPG benefits a simple hybrid makes possible (regen braking, electricly propulsed initial acceleration, stealth/commuting e-mode). The battery is otherwise there to serve our “overlanding” or work needs.:D

Trail Runnah and nimby like this.
  4. Jul 15, 2022 at 3:08 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Canadian Bacon is right they will tax the shizzo out of us on the gas.

But don’t be too nieve to think that electric rates won’t go up. It already is happening in Europe.

Plus we will see if there is anything left in the next few years. At this rate we will need a start over from scratch plan.

On my way to catch some walleye in the meantime. Screw it life goes on

2Toys likes this.
  5. Aug 14, 2022 at 8:42 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    How are you supposed to charge them in the rain? Is it low-voltage or something just doesn’t seem safe?

6. Aug 14, 2022 at 9:03 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I don't have any experience plugging in an electric car, but I have to imagine they have some sort of a weatherproof connector on them. I can't imagine that engineers haven't thought of this issue before.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    Thatbassguy likes this.
  7. Aug 14, 2022 at 9:16 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    There’s gonna be a bunch if electrocuted people at the charging stations?

Thatbassguy likes this.
  8. Aug 14, 2022 at 9:18 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    No. There will not. I think the chargers have a sensor of some type so that they know when they are connected to a battery.

9. Aug 14, 2022 at 9:20 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    I’m ready I got 220 in the garage.

Products Discussed in

To Top