1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing capacity help 2019 ORP (stock)

Discussion in 'Towing' started by mschf3, Aug 16, 2023.

1. Aug 16, 2023 at 10:18 AM
    mschf3

mschf3 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi! We just moved to the mountains and we have a 3000lb Kubota tractor that is in for service. We would like to get a trailer and pick it up ourselves, but I'm concerned about the safety of towing a tractor that weighs that much PLUS the weight of a trailer - most of the ones we're looking at are 1800ish lbs. We would be towing it about 35 miles in the mountains.
    Do I need to get anything added to my 4Runner before attempting this, and is it even a good idea?

Thanks.

2. Aug 16, 2023 at 10:27 AM
    HotelMedicis

HotelMedicis No Commercial Interests

Member:
    Hopefully @Thatbassbuy will chime in -- I think he has a lot of experience towing boats.

mschf3[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 16, 2023 at 12:15 PM
    Schlappesepple

Schlappesepple New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    At that weight you'll need a trailer with brakes.

How exact is your 3000 lb weight on the tractor? You're right up against the limit, and it's honestly a pretty aggressive rating for the short wheelbase and soft suspension of the 4R.

Are you planning to buy or rent/ borrow the trailer?

Personally, I'd probably do it, if it's an infrequent thing, I'm absolutely sure the weight is under 5k, and the trailer has good brakes. It's going to suck, though, and you'll want to keep it under 55 mph. I wouldn't buy a trailer to tow it, unless you're planning to buy a bigger truck soon, too. Not a tractor, but I towed an absolutely loaded 6x12 U-Haul (around 5k) through the NC mountains, and it was okay (i.e. miserable but moderately safe). I don't think I'd do it in Colorado.

Depending on the type of mountains you're talking about, shifting into S4 might be enough (you should do this even when it's flat), or you might need to do S3 (or even lower) and go really slow up and down the grades. The first thing I'd buy is a scan gauge, Ultragauge, or similar to watch transmission temps, and they're handy down the line too.

Are you new to the mountains? Can you go down the steep grades without using the brakes by downshifting already? Or are you going to learn that with the trailer? Even a big truck with burn up the brakes if you ride them all the way down.

4. Aug 16, 2023 at 12:19 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    In the mountains?

Needs brakes and your 4R will hate you up hill.

mschf3[OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 16, 2023 at 12:22 PM
    mschf3

mschf3 [OP] New Member

Member:
    These are all GREAT insights. No, I'm not super excited/comfortable with the idea of doing this. I managed a 26'UHaul truck with a trailer for a short time in the mountains and nearly had a heart attack. I felt pretty darned good that I managed, but I really don't want to ruin my ride.

And yes, my spouse wants to buy a trailer. However, it's looking like doing this even once isn't such a good plan. Thanks for your thoughts - they're great.

6. Aug 16, 2023 at 12:35 PM
    josephp732

josephp732 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Limited, 2021 White TRD OR Premium
To Top