1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing a teardrop

Discussion in 'Towing' started by nebraska, Jun 23, 2023.

1. Jun 23, 2023 at 4:50 PM
    nebraska

nebraska [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm looking to get a 4runner tomorrow and trading in what I have now. What I have now on paper should be able to tow my camper but after one nerve-wracking trip, I want something better. Plus, a 4runner has been my dream car since I was a kid.

On paper the 4runner will work.

Trailer details:
    ~3100 lbs with everything except water and beer/food (went to a CAT scale and measured with our typical gear loaded in plus all awnings/propane tanks, etc installed)
    11 gal water tank (~92 lbs)
    12 ft long
    Trailer has it's own breaks - will be getting a redarc TBC no matter which vehicle I get. I've had them before and really like them.

Driver details:
    I am cautious. I don't foresee me exceeding 70 mph while towing. I do live in a mountain area so going uphill faster than 35 mph is a must for my sanity and safety because people here are not patient on the uphill.

Would this work out? I don't want to buy the car only to find out I still cant comfortably tow. I've read on other forums about 4runners not being great for towing campers but those comments usually mention 20+ft campers.

2. Jun 23, 2023 at 5:29 PM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    Welcome from Arizona!
    The 4Runner is rated for 5000 lbs. tow weight. You are well under that unless you go wild with beer and food (just kidding). Trailer brakes and controller are a good safety measure. If you go west to Colorado to the mountains be prepared for some bozo mountain drivers. Using the manual shift function on the hills will help prevent automatic transmission gear hunting and help maintain your speed.
    Enjoy your new rig!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
    Thatbassguy and nebraska[OP] like this.
  3. Jun 23, 2023 at 6:47 PM
    RedWings44

RedWings44 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner SR5, 2017 Tacoma TRDOR
    Should be well within range. Not exceeding 70 while towing would be wise. I believe most vehicles don't want you going over 65 while towing even though you see people do it all the time.

4. Jun 23, 2023 at 7:44 PM
    Cowboy59

Cowboy59 Enjoy the Adventure

Member:
    N. Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off-Road Premium w/ Predator package & KDSS
    I pull a 5x8 off-road camper. You will have to pull in 4S much of the time, as in 5th gear the 4R will be downshifting often. Also gas mileage will drop to 14-15 mpg. This of course depends on flat land versus hills or mountains. But actually pulling the trailer is no issue.

Our trailer and hitch combined probably weigh about 1750 lbs.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
  5. Jun 23, 2023 at 8:29 PM
    MoreOutdoors

MoreOutdoors New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road Premium
    Yep, you’ll be fine. We tow a trailer heavier than that and are fine. Even towing over the Sierra Nevada mountains we maintain 45 mph on steep slopes. You won’t win any races and you will notice even slight grades that’s for sure, but you won’t be losing your mind level of slow.

6. Jun 23, 2023 at 11:14 PM
    Schlappesepple

Schlappesepple New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Depending on what vehicle you're coming from, you might notice the engine noise more as the 4R downshifts during climbs. It sounds like it's working hard, but it's really fine.

I'd say your setup sounds fine, especially with the brakes. Agree with others about using S4 when towing. Gas mileage is the same as Drive, but temps stay lower.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  7. Jun 24, 2023 at 5:40 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Should be fine.

- keep it at or below 65 as recommended by the manual.

- tow in S4 to save the transmission from constantly downshifting. It won't hurt your mileage.

- I believe there was another thread around here somewhere discussing trailer brake controllers.

I recently towed approximately 5700#, which I certainly don't recommend. But, I didn't have a lot of good options, so I decided to chance it. I was actually impressed with how well it went. I also never exceeded 60 miles per hour , and was very conservative on the gas and brakes.

PXL_20230618_030759698.MP.jpg

I'm assuming that you meant S4? When I read 4H, I think 4wd.

8. Jun 24, 2023 at 9:42 AM
    Cowboy59

Cowboy59 Enjoy the Adventure

Member:
    N. Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off-Road Premium w/ Predator package & KDSS
    Yes I did - thanks I will fix that,

Thatbassguy likes this.
To Top