1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towed a deep V boat from Wisconsin to Ohio

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by universalfrost, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Jun 14, 2022 at 9:36 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    You're best off towing in S4. Unless you're towing something small and light, you'll generally downshift constantly out of S5. I will bump mine into S5 when going downhill, but that's about it. Sometimes, it can hold 5th gear on a flat road as well.

K-Paul[QUOTED] and alittleoff like this.
  2. Jun 14, 2022 at 12:10 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Sounds like a great boat that can tackle some rough water as well.

3. Jun 14, 2022 at 2:22 PM
    K-Paul

K-Paul Looking for a water crossing

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin Dallas
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4WD
    So the gear hunting from s5/OD to S4, will that not hurt the engine and transmission over time? it feels very dramatic of a gear drop considering its Overdrive

universalfrost[OP] likes this.
  4. Jun 14, 2022 at 6:00 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    This is why you should tow in S4. It's easier on the drivetrain. There's really no reason to tow in S5, and the manual recommends not using overdrive.

K-Paul[QUOTED] and McSpazatron like this.
  5. Jun 14, 2022 at 6:38 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the tip on this. Just tried shifting into S4 tonight easy as pie. I plan to tow next week with it.

You guys and this forum are the best. I have learned a lot and enjoy it.

6. Jun 15, 2022 at 3:22 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia New Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 4WD
    So I looked at the owner's manual before my recent/first trip towing and it didn't mention anything about transmission gear selection. It all had to do with weight and loading the tongue.

Not doubting, but I will say that towing 1300 lbs over 135 miles this past weekend (and back), when I was in S5 on the highway, the computer did not want to downshift. I was being conservative by speeding up on downhills and gradually lessening throttle input going uphill to keep high gear, but it was only about a 15 mph difference. The 4R just seemed to want to keep high gear/OD the entire time. Being a bit conservative seems to be key.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jun 15, 2022 at 4:27 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    This is from the '19 manual:

"● To maintain engine braking efficiency and charging system perfor-
    mance when using engine braking, do not put the transmission in
    D."

It doesn't actually say not to use S5, but just not to use D. If you're towing something small and light, S5 is probably ok.

But, anything heavy, and especially large things like travel trailers and cargo trailers, you're usually going to want to be in S4.

Plus, at <65 MPH, your RPM's won't be too high in S4 anyway. I learned on my Tacoma that it was generally more pleasant and I actually got decent fuel economy at ~60 MPH in 4th gear

Screenshot_20220615-174336.png

Products Discussed in

To Top