1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TOO BIG?

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Judobum, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Aug 15, 2015 at 5:09 PM
    Judobum

Judobum [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    1996 Green Limited 4Runner
    Coil lift/body lift, custom fishing rod holder on front bumper,fog lights, remote start, Volo performance chip
    These are the tires that came with my purchase. They are 315s. Yes they look very cool and I can go pretty much anywhere with them. 3 feet of snow was no issue going up or downhill. However, my gas mileage sucks, they hit the frame in the front and are pretty heavy. There is a 1 inch spacer on the hubs. I believe these are the original 16 inch rims. Any suggestions? Go to 17 inch rims? My common sense is telling me to keep the 16 inch rims but IMG_3385.jpg switch to 33's. Also, I'm considering throwing in a transmission cooler because with these tires I'm doing about 2100 rpms at 65-68 mph.

2. Aug 16, 2015 at 9:51 AM
    LTDSC

LTDSC Soccer Dad Extraordinaire

Member:
    Northern California
    sounds like a regear is in order to be able to regain stock momentum and better RPM.

3. Aug 17, 2015 at 11:16 AM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    Vehicle:
    99 T4R LTD- 33's and locked, 01 SR5-,SAS Sold...
    A few things here and there. Still dreaming up stuff
    Pete-

Welcome to running 35's brother. Once you make the jump from 33's to 35's it come with a host of upgrades to have it run and preform the right way. Let me get you the link to the lifts etc that you can read through to help you out. There are some really good ones out there.

This is the reason that I didn't and or will not run 35's on my mostly daily driver 99 limited. I'm going to put a set of 33's under it after I kill this set of Coopers off and call it good. I have wheeled with a lot of 4Runners and with everything to consider they just work with 33's and locked up with armor all around. Yes 35's make this a little easier but with all the extra issue with 35's to me it was not worth it. That is why I have my 01 that is all Solid Axle Swapped out and on 37's for when I really want to get crazy.

Blue

Lets see this beauty anyhow.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  4. Aug 17, 2015 at 5:27 PM
    Judobum

Judobum [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    1996 Green Limited 4Runner
    Coil lift/body lift, custom fishing rod holder on front bumper,fog lights, remote start, Volo performance chip
    Blue-
    Thank you so much for confirming my suspicions, relieving my ignorance and giving me a straight answer that exceeded my expectations. I thought after I posted this that I could end up being the "dumbass guy who doesn't know shit from shinola."
    The kid I got it from put a 3" Toytec "ultimate" lift with the medium coils and a 3" 4crawler body lift with the correct spacers on the left side. I believe he just ran out of $$. So I feel so much better knowing 33's are the way to go. Do you run 305/75R/16's? Which brand are you switching to? I'm doing some research now, as I believe I may be able to sell these tires or trade. Any thoughts?
    I'm waiting for my spare tire holder with Jerry can and bumper jack to arrive from Shrokworks in the next few weeks. Would like to match the tires. My deepest appreciation for your knowledge, candor and 4Runner mentoring! IMG_3387.jpg

Ol'Blue likes this.
  5. Aug 17, 2015 at 7:21 PM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    Vehicle:
    99 T4R LTD- 33's and locked, 01 SR5-,SAS Sold...
    A few things here and there. Still dreaming up stuff
    Buddy

I do not pretend to know every thing nor do I. I just speak from what I have seen with my two eyes. That's all.

So for a type or brand of tire. I'm a BF Goodwrench KM2 fan all the way. They are tried and true.

I'm running a 32in tire on my Daily Drive right now. Well 31.5 something but what ever.

A tire that really works well on this truck is a 255X85x16 They are getting really hard to find but man do they really work well once they are aired down.

There are a few guys that run them around this place and really love them. Look for that guy BestGen in the classic section AKA 1st Gen's. Paul can tell you all about them. I'm honestly thinking about running that on my DD the next time for tires. Time will tell though. My two trucks. Even the DD has a bit of flexy flexy to her...

Blue

20150111_125133.jpg
    20150222_192857.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top