1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tips for sand driving?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by nantucket9, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Nov 26, 2016 at 4:16 AM
    nantucket9

nantucket9 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bought a 2016 Trail for soft, deep sand. Any tips on tires (are the standard 17 inch tires adequate if reduced to 13 pound pressure?) and deep sand driving are appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Nov 26, 2016 at 12:32 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    You bought it just for sand?

The OEM tires are pretty shitty off road in general, but that shittiness is exacerbated in soft, deep loose sand. You really need a dedicated sand / paddle style tire or at the least a decent off road tire for sand. The problem with sand is also the trick to driving on it - getting up to speed. Once you achieve a certain speed than you float on the top, and any tire will work. But getting up to speed, and not getting bogged down while doing it, is tricky and requires decent tires and a modicum of skill.

Hard pack sand is no problem for even the most street oriented AT tires but sugary, bottomless sand is a nightmare without the right tires.

I consider myself a fairly proficient off road driver and I won't take my truck on the beach if the sand isn't packed from the tide.

bahndrvr, Low'n'Slow and Bob like this.
  3. Nov 26, 2016 at 1:26 PM
    nantucket9

Member:
    Thanks for the info.
    I've been driving on Nantucket in soft, deep sand for 35 years. That's nothing new. The sand takes me to the fish.
    I was just wondering if the tires are particularly lame or if they will work well when down to 13/14 pounds....

4. Nov 26, 2016 at 5:17 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    Well with 35 years of doing it I'm not sure why you asked the question. You should be answering the question !

Never deflated the stock tires. Cant help you there.

BestGen likes this.
  5. Nov 26, 2016 at 5:49 PM
    JerryM

JerryM New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jerry
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail (KDSS)
    Pending
    You can air your stock tires down just not that low. If someone tells you different don't pay attention to it. You do want to replace the stockers as soon as you can but try out the stockers. With the low pressure you just need to be more careful as you are turning at slower speeds. I've taken my stock trail all over the SoCal deserts before i modified mine and yes soft sand. You'll be ok. Have fun enjoy it.

Bob and Palerider like this.
  6. Nov 26, 2016 at 7:32 PM
    Palerider

Palerider New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD PRO quicksand
    Installed Rago brackets and 4" cube ditch lights. Weather tech mats. Cargo net. Cargo mat. Ordered Gobi rack with ladder.
    You are very blessed to live in one of the most beautiful ares of this Country. Like Jerry said, do not lower your tires to 13, some of the worst accidents I've seen have been a result of under inflated tires.
    Your stock tires should be fine unless you are in quick sand.

7. Nov 26, 2016 at 10:10 PM
    Stuck CAPS

Stuck CAPS Truck killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2007 Nautical Blue Metallic Limited V6 4x4
    ARB Bumper, Some Stuff, Some Other Stuff, and some Stuff.
    I'm with everyone stressing tires. I'm not super familiar with sand, as I've only really gotten to drive on actual sugary sand maybe twice. However, I can tell you in my experience of nasty-ass mud in Missouri, that the stock tires that came on my new 4th gen didn't grip at all, just buried me a lot deeper than if I would have just waited the extra 2 days to go wheeling before I swapped for the tires on the old rig. Got to try the same spot with the new tires and I didn't even bog this time. (Could have also been a result of a slightly better approach, but it worked with the new tires without a single problem).

Edit: And by with everyone stressing tires, I mean get a better set than stock

8. Nov 27, 2016 at 4:29 AM
    nantucket9

Member:
    Thanks for the responses about the tires.
    On nantucket, they have a rule..go less than 14 pounds inflation for the beach.
    But I hear you about the risk of going that low.
    let me ask--for your soft sand driving what tire pressure do you use???
    thanks again...

Bob likes this.
  9. Nov 27, 2016 at 10:49 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    I rarely drop pressure and frankly, don't think I have ever dropped on sand - because of lack of interest in doing long stretches of deep sand.

When I do drop pressure (picture the Dos Equis guy) I prefer 18 pounds, no less. Obviously depends on tires and sidewall construction but you are risking breaking the bead at much below that.

brochacho likes this.
  10. Nov 27, 2016 at 4:51 PM
    wnelax04sr5

wnelax04sr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 Galactic Gray
    as others have said, stock tires aren't your best bet for basically any category (highway, off road, multi use) and I definitely wouldnt air stock dunlops down that low

11. Nov 27, 2016 at 8:37 PM
    Relentless

Relentless Offroad armor Fabricating beast! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks NV
    Vehicle:
    05 Limited 4.7 V8, long travel, dual locked
    Lifted on 35s and Relentless Armored, too much to list!
    I wouldnt go that low on the stock tires. Get yourself some better LT 6/8ply AT's and let er down to around 10-12 no problem to float on the sand. Obviously keep the speed in check and dont turn too hard/fast while that low and you should be fine then. The sidewalls on the stock tires are very thin, I would think trying to go that low on them is inviting a slashed tire if you go anywhere but clean and with them aired down like that.

Palerider likes this.
  12. Dec 19, 2016 at 1:41 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    I'm a bit late to the party here, but just for future information. I have done a 19 mile beach run through non-packed areas with my wife's stock 4Runner Trail w/ Dunlop AT20 Grandtreks @ 25 PSI. She followed me in my Tacoma with the Stock Goodyear A/T w/ Kevlar tires. I'd say the Tacoma tires look better, but she followed me through all of it and sometimes took different routes (didn't just drive in my path I carved) for all of it, and really didn't have any trouble.

We were doing about 10 mph most of the time, and as long as you haven't stopped in something really silky or on an incline you will do pretty decently, even with the uninspiring stock Dunlops.

Just went to our 2nd OHV park with mud and rocks with her stock truck with stock tires, and again...did well and didn't get stuck in the mud like I thought it would have.

I hate that these tires keep doing ok, I'm ready to have an excuse to pick another set.

That said OP, I didn't really plan to go past 20 PSI on these, especially since the stock rims aren't beadlocks.

Palerider likes this.
  13. May 8, 2017 at 8:54 PM
    lodi781

lodi781 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    ARB BP-51 suspension, T-13 coils, BF Goodrich AT2 275 70 r17, Gobi rack, black oak LED single LB.
    Floor it. If you get stuck, floor it more.

Barcelona Trail and OvrlandNoob like this.
  14. May 11, 2017 at 8:09 AM
    bahndrvr

bahndrvr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Melbourne, Fl
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 V8 4Runner
    2003 4Runner SR5 v8 - Temp Front: Top hat spacer 2.5" on Tacoma struts/springs Rear: TJM/King heavy extended Tacoma shocks 315 BFG AT KO2's (35's) Thrush Welded muffler and rear watermelon delete with turned exit K&N drop in, and extra filter delete Strengthened/Welded passenger side front diff mount Front diff drop - due to the top hat spacer and massive droop.... Scion headunit CB Other stuff done, 6th 4Runner:)
    Live in florida and have sugar sand all over here, my best combo is slightly bigger tires for floatation and light throttle with center diff lock on in 4 high:) if you start to bog down momentum is your friend, if you get down in it, forward and reverse with ATRAC around 2k will get you out of almost everything sand related until you high center....

My 285 BFG AT KO's never had any problems and pulled out many people that were down on the frame with light initial tug then letting my atrac and 1500-2k rpms. Now i'm on 35's and the ATRAC isn't as effective due to the larger tire and stock gearing as well as being harder on the brakes. Will be re-gear and rear lsd or locker soon to combat this but even with those in the sugar sand = extremely EXTREMELY soft - still haven't had problems:)

The new KO2's have the side biters and they have made a huge difference for me, also as mentioned here don't go below around 20psi on the stock tires. For my 315/70/17 as hard as they were to get on the stock 7.5" rims I would be confident going down to around 10 if necessary as there is NO way I'm going to slip the bead, preetty much same was to be said with the 285's.

15. Sep 4, 2017 at 10:33 PM
    58jake

58jake New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    1990 White 4Runner SR5
    Currently dead
    Like bahndrvr said, BFG A/T's are some of the best tires for sand. They just seem to work. We've driven everything from long travel Ford Rangers (and not your high school white fender prerunners) to lifted Superdutys on 44's through the dunes in Glamis, and the A/T's grip and handle the best. I currently have Toyo's on my Tacoma, they're ok, but not as good as the BFG's. But I have taken the Toyo's down to 9lbs with no issues. However, they are 31x10.50's, and with sand, smaller wheels are your friend.
    IMG_20170114_160505393_HDR (Small).jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top