1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Time for Suspension Upgrade - Need advice!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by allthescottsweretaken, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Jun 8, 2017 at 11:48 AM
    allthescottsweretaken

allthescottsweretaken [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail
    Hi Everyone,
    New to the owners forum! I picked up a new 2016 Trail Premium without KDSS half a year ago, and I'm looking to upgrade the suspension. Admitting reality, it is my only car and 95% of my driving is done on paved roads, but on the weekends I often find myself on some deeply rutted dirt/mud roads getting into the Northwest backcountry for hiking/mountain biking in the summer, and in the snow in the winter for some backcountry skiing. I'm looking to improve the driving quality of the car on the road (i.e. reduce the excessive nose dive under braking and body motion) and if I'm swapping suspension I might as well increase its off-road performance (I'd hope with the right suspension and tires this is possible?) I'm not looking to throw a huge lift on it, nor am I going to put mudders on it - I have no intention of rock crawling or mudding. I primarily want to improve the ride on road and improve its capability on rutted roads and deep snow. I don't need the thing to Baja, but driving down some of these wrecked Washington roads at 5mph can get tiring - as does getting stuck halfway in the mud, and turning around defeated. I don't want loud tired noise, tires rubbing the wheel wells/frame, or to completely destroy the gas mileage...

I'm thinking a stage 2 icon at about a 2" lift with some BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2s, but its a bit $$$. Or maybe just the Bilstein 5100s.

Just wondering what everyone's recommendation is. Suspension? Tires? Recommended tire size with a 2" lift?

Thanks everyone. Sorry to write a novel about it.

4Runner.jpg

2. Jun 8, 2017 at 12:01 PM
    brochacho

brochacho New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sequoia TRD Sport
    Where in Washington are you? I'm in Vancouver. Looks like your driving habits are similar to mine. I think you would be fine with a similar set up, you don't need a full Icon Stage 2 set up for what you are describing.

Here is what I have:
    Bilstein 5100's all around
    Wheelers T1 lift coils up front (2.5" lift)
    Wheelers T13 coils in the rear (1.5" lift)
    Camburg ball joint upper control arms

With this setup it has greatly improved on and off road handling at a much lower price point than a full Icon setup.

Bob likes this.
  3. Jun 9, 2017 at 2:00 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Listen to Brochacho. I don't have anything against Icon but I built this:

OME 884 fronts w/ Bilstein 5100s Adjustsable set on Zero notch
    Toyotec 2" rear springs w/ Bilstien 5100s

Didn't even need Upper Control arms for this mild a lift to keep Caster good. I would, however, consider it a good investment.

I am in the lift for about $850 and personally, it rides better than stock, handles corners better, and rides both on road and off road better. I do plan on adding UCAs just because later, but my wife said she would never go back to stock suspension after driving this thing around.

4. Jun 9, 2017 at 2:27 PM
    allthescottsweretaken

allthescottsweretaken [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail
    Thanks for the input. One of the other guys I work with put 5100s on his and seems pretty happy, so that seems to be the direction I'm thinking of heading.

@brochacho I'm down in Tacoma; did you have some issues with the 5100s on the back of your 4runner?

What size tires are both of you running?

5. Jun 9, 2017 at 4:38 PM
    brochacho

brochacho New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sequoia TRD Sport
    Yeah, I did have one of rear ones fail but I don't think that is common place. I bought them at Wheelers Offroad in Grants Pass, OR and they helped me through the warranty process quickly. I had 5100's on my Tacoma for 3 years and never had an issue. FWIW the guy I spoke to at Wheelers said they have a fail rate about the same as the higher end shocks. It happens...

I am running 285/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers in load range C

6. Jun 9, 2017 at 9:14 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    I'm running 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W - Load Range E