1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The FIRST time you were pulled over

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Abanero, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Oct 21, 2020 at 2:04 PM
    Abanero

Abanero [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno Orange 4Runner TRD Pro
    • What were you driving?
    • What was the reason for the stop?
    • What was the end result?
    As for me, I was driving a 1985 AMC Renault. I'm pretty sure it had less than 100 horsepower from the factory and cost me a total of $600.

I was stopped for going to slow (impeding traffic). It was a 45mph zone, but due to a bad carburetor, I really didn't see much above 35/40mph, unless it was downhill. I would always take sideroads, but in this circumstance I didn't have an alternative route.

The officer was kind with a verbal warning, ultimately suggesting I get the issue resolved before hitting the main road. The fix was going to cost more than the car was truly worth, so I ended up getting something new and trading that car for a pair of wheels that my teenage self at the time thought were cool.

mousemeat likes this.
  2. Oct 21, 2020 at 2:37 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    91 Civic Hatchback and no the SI version so slow as hell.

Speeding 40mph in a 25.

Took my ticket and was on my way.

mousemeat likes this.
  3. Oct 21, 2020 at 3:05 PM
    mousemeat

mousemeat New Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN.
    Vehicle:
    1997 4 runner limited
    upgraded suspension, large all terrain tires
    hmmmm, the first time I got pulled over , w/ticket ? set the wayback machine for october 1968. Royal Oak, Mi. in my 1964 Corvair monza Spyder. 4 speed. turbo charged. 50 in a 35 zone...racing a '65 Barracuda...loved that Corvair. Eat your heart out, Ralph Nader.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  4. Oct 21, 2020 at 3:08 PM
    MyNardo

MyNardo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    May
    Vehicle:
    2015 Trail
    Cheap stuff
    I have a 98 civic, pulled over because the cop is tailing me. It was at night, headlights are right on my bumper so I speed up. The headlights was the cop car on my bumper. I was 19, got pulled over 100 yards from my parents house. He told me to get out the car and get on the wall and patted me down. Yup that happened. This is in Venice, CA in 1999.

mousemeat and Toy4X4 like this.
  5. Oct 21, 2020 at 3:14 PM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    I was 32 driving my 4Runnner. I had just passed a slow driver and didn't slow down fast enough. He was coming in the opposite direction behind the 1st car. Got a ticket for 10 over.

mousemeat likes this.
  6. Oct 21, 2020 at 3:23 PM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    1968 Falcon Futura, the county cop that pulled me over said "your exhaust sounded a little loud when I met you." So as the car was idling, (it had a 302 with a fairly ragged cam) I was digging out my license and the cop asked if I knew how fast I was going? I told him, "not really sure," so when he came back from his squad car running my license, he said my speed was fine and he wondered what kind of cam was in the engine, told him it was a Crane cam, he looked underneath at the exhaust system, then wanted to see the engine, and said he thought it looked great, did not get a ticket, and he told me, "keep it between the ditches! have a good day." BTW it had Hush Thrush mufflers.

mousemeat and nimby like this.
  7. Oct 21, 2020 at 4:49 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    1984....I was 16 and driving my first $#!+box, a 1978 Chevy Malibu. Speedometer cable broke about a week prior. I don't remember my speed but guess it was fast enough to get a ticket....So to the good part....my sister is 10 years older than me and was an ER nurse at the time. Knew a lot of law enforcement types. She advised me to show up for court. Her two-pronged approach was A. "if the officer isn't there in court that day, the ticket gets thrown out" or B. "if he is there, ask if his radar had been calibrated recently. if not, the ticket is thrown out". Now remember, I was a stooopid 16 y/o kid at the time so I said 'sounds awesome, I'm in". So I stand in front of the judge and smugly ask if Officer Friendly is in today.
    Well dear viewers, he was.
    So now, I'm having a seat. Doubling down on the act, I ask if the radar had been calibrated. The judge says he'd like to confirm that as well.
    Officer Friendly says "yes sir", and produces a print out of the last years worth of calibration procedures on his equipment. Just done the day before my stop, actually.
    Judge asks if I was aware of how fast I was going, at which point I went for the hat trick and said, "no sir, speedometer broke last week". After seeing the look on his face I then cut my losses and politely asked if I could just pay the ticket and leave.
    Request granted.

mousemeat likes this.
  8. Oct 21, 2020 at 5:06 PM
    Jemplyr77

Jemplyr77 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM Nightshade
    Tinted windows. USR tail lights.
    Ran a red light in my 1969 Mustang. In my defense, the glare from the setting sun on the hood scoop distracted me!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    mousemeat likes this.
  9. Oct 21, 2020 at 5:07 PM
    newlife

newlife Not all who wander are ...... squirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2021 venture 22 JTR
    All of them.
    Picture it Sicily 1952.......

Shit wrong thread. 2000 pulled over in a stolen Chevy Astro van doing circles in the elementary school parking lot. Cops waited until I get home to light me up. No ticket but god I wish they’d taken me to jail that night. The look on my parents face when those lights flicked on and me in the van...... my parents were at friends and I “borrowed the van to go do stupid kid shit”

mousemeat, nimby and Toy4X4 like this.
  10. Nov 3, 2020 at 3:19 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    This is a believe it or not story......I have a lead foot so Ive been pulled numerous times in several vehicles and honestly can't remember the first time. Back in 1985, at 3am (you can imagine what I had been doing) in a 72' Monte Carlo with a 350 Corvette SB and no rear view mirrors, I was pulled by no less than 4 cruisers from 2 different cities. I was promptly put in handcuffs for fleeing and eluding, with my statement regarding no mirrors getting a resounding "Boy!! Shut the F#(% UP"!!!
    Once at the police station the officer who originated the chase, sat me down in an interrogation room, gave me a cigarette, and asked "where the hell did you learn to drive like that"? I shrugged trying to play dumb. He explained his radar clocked me at 85 - 90 mph in a 45 zone, taking two different hard turns at intersections doing better than 55 mph and that he couldn't catch me, forcing him to call for back up during the chase. That pissed him off to no end. "I go to school to learn how to drive like that, and I couldn't catch you"!! Growing up an hour from Daytona, driving fast cars is a redneck right of passage here, so I really had no explanation for him. He wrote me a ticket for "wanton and willful reckless driving" and let me go, exclaiming "don't you go back and get in that car"!
    I walked across the street, stuck my my thumb out, and quickly got a ride back to my Monte Carlo of course. God I loved that car.

The first time I got pulled in my T4R was last month involving a concealed carry license and a 45 auto in the middle of no where GA, if anyone wants to hear that one.

DRobs likes this.
  11. Nov 3, 2020 at 3:52 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Pinstripes, lots of em. Plus a couple dents.
    I haven't gotten a ticket in about 23 years.
    I did get pulled over about 8 years ago, visiting Tucson AZ. Showed him my CCW license and chatted with him for a bit. He was fishing for drunk drivers and let us go.

I've never had a reportable accident. Have had a few folks bump into me. No damage on either vehicle LE / Insurance not involved.

12. Nov 3, 2020 at 3:57 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Let's hear it.

13. Nov 3, 2020 at 5:14 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Having seen a lot of attention on how the police respond to individual situations and your actions during a vehicle stop I knew how I was going to handle this one.
    I had just left an off road park called Durham Town, mostly a dirt bike and UTV park, but they have some cool Truck trails too. I was doing 50 in a 35 when I saw the speed limit sign, let off the gas and at the same time passed the local deputy camped on a corner. As I rounded the next corner I saw him coming up, but he hadn't flipped his blues on, but I knew he had me so I pulled over into a store parking lot right as he hit his lights.

I had gotten my wallet out before I even put it in park, rolled both front windows down, and put both hands out the window as I fished my DL and CC out. Keeping both hands with my wallet and IDs out the window the whole time he approached, he stopped at the corner and surveyed the cargo area of the truck making sure there were no surprises.

I handed him my DL first and held the CC up and informed him I had the pistol between my legs in the sewn pocket of my Wet Okole seat cover. GA has a CC reciprocity agreement with the State of Florida, so I knew I was good in that regard. Being open and honest about my weapon was the exact way to handle it, because upon informing him of it's location he told me "OK, if you don't touch yours, I won't touch mine". I then asked if he would like my insurance and registration and that they were in my glove box, and told him I didn't want to make any sudden movements inside the vehicle. He said "no, if there is a problem the computer will tell me".

I kept my one hand out the window and the other on the steering wheel the whole time, and when he returned he asked what I had been up to. I told him about the 4x4 park and he could see I still had my wrist band on. He asked if I liked it and said he had been there many times. He also asked if I still lived on Merritt Island as he had just been to a wedding there a couple weeks ago and tried to see a Delta launch but it got scrubbed. We ended up BS ing for about ten minutes about the space program and my job with the Golf Channel, and he let me roll with out even giving me a warning citation. He did tell me to slow down on the rest of my trip through rural GA as they were out in force that week. He was right, Po Po was everywhere.

My advice, show the LEOs some respect and 99% of them will do the same. If your doing something wrong? or even act like it? They ain't stupid and are trained to spot it, so being confrontational WILL get you some attitude. So as you can tell even after being pulled dozens of times in my life and having my license suspended and revoked for over 5 years, even being arrested a few times, I still respect and back the Blue. If you don't? Good luck with de-funding, it will go down hill quick imho. My co worker who lives in Manhattan says it's getting out of control with prisoners all getting covid releases and running the show up there.

Sorry for the side bar...back to the regularly scheduled topic at hand.

14. Nov 3, 2020 at 5:32 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    I try to limit my interaction with Law Enforcement. I speed but try to stay around 4mph to 9mph over the limit on the highway. I will punch it get around a pack of drivers though. In town, I at most will do 4mph over. Side roads, I do the speed limit.

Buddy of mine is a Deputy Sheriff, I've had him and another Deputy over to my house shoot.

I also lower the windows and keep my hands on the steering wheel till told otherwise. Find it's best not to dig around for things while the officer is walking up to your vehicle. He has a job to do and I can respect that and be professional.

I went through a DUI checkpoint a few years ago. I had just flown home from being overseas (16 hours + of travel). I handed the Police Officer my DL and CCW License. He smiled handed me a pamphlet, and my ID cards, and waved me through.

MI-FL off roader likes this.
  15. Nov 3, 2020 at 5:50 AM
    EffinNewGuy

EffinNewGuy Completely clueless

Member:
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    Absolutely nothing
    1994, age 16, had been driving for a couple months and had my 1987 LeBaron Turbo (it had a cracked block, no working heat or air, kept eating turbos, and a bent sway bar that kept cracking the lower control arms) packed with friends driving into Cincinnati to find a music venue, we got lost driving around Clifton and I was distracted looking at street signs, ran a red light directly in front of CPD. I also had an empty Dunkin Donuts box in the back window. PO gave me a warning, but called my parents. I really don't know how we didn't die in that car, especially with the stupid stuff we did while in it.

DRobs likes this.
  16. Nov 3, 2020 at 9:41 AM
    DaveW

DaveW New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
    Definitely not my first stop but this incident was kind of funny. I was in the town of Banff, Alberta (Banff National Park) this past summer towing my small Escape camper trailer with my FJ Cruiser. I had just seen a car with decals on the door pull in behind me and from the quick glance that I had, I assumed it was a private security company car. I had driven past my stop and needed to turn around, so when I reached a 4 way stop sign with no traffic coming I made a full stop and then proceeded into the intersection and did a complete 180 deg U-turn in the middle of the intersection before proceeding back the way I had come. It was then that I realized that the security company car behind me was actually the local RCMP police officer in his patrol car and he was just sitting in the drivers seat laughing as I drove past him. He never did pull me over.

DRobs likes this.
  17. Nov 3, 2020 at 10:01 AM
    Abanero

Abanero [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Definition of a perfect stop - specifically as it relates to how you conducted yourself. Well done, and the outcome proves just that.

18. Nov 3, 2020 at 10:21 AM
    JustATallDude

JustATallDude New Member+

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    Gibson Single Exit Exhaust - Magnuson Supercharger - Sprint Booster - GTR Ultra2 Highs - Evil Headlights w/ Morimoto LED - Anzo Black Smoked Tail Lights - LED Interior Lights - A-Pillar Phone Mount Mod - CTH Side Mirrors - Eibach TRD Pro-Lift Springs - Falken Wildpeak A/T3s 285/70/17 - FSW F246 17x8.5 - Lasfit LED Turn Signals - DDI Seat Jackers - Apex Overland Front Recovery Points - Big Red's Turn Signal Mod and AMD Mod - R4T Blackout Turn Signals - BlackVue DR590 Dashcam and more to come...
    I remember my first and only time to date. I was in my first car an 04 Cadillac Deville with the 4.6 and a cutoff muffler. The cop pulled me over for a license plate light but it was definitely the exhaust lol didn't even get a fix it ticket

DRobs likes this.
  19. Nov 30, 2020 at 1:43 PM
    lastcall190

lastcall190 New Member

Member:
    Late to the party here, but was driving through a back road that had some nice ups and downs, nothing crazy. I got up to about 50 mph on a straight, turns out it stayed a 25mph zone. Cop pulled me over and I was beat red. I explained how I had no idea the limit changed (as much as he might not have believed me, was the truth; I was also 17 and tomato red thinking of the absolute lambasting I was going to get when I got home... rightfully so), apologized, he came back said slow down and be careful and I was on my way. Wasn't the last time I got pulled over by a long shot, but it was the first.

Was driving an 89 Supra
    20+ over the limit
    Verbal warning

Thatbassguy likes this.
  20. Nov 30, 2020 at 1:49 PM
    Abanero

Abanero [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I mean, how could you not in a Supra? I dare say your immediate reflection and O'Sh*t red face was enough for him, especially being your first stop. Any repetitive behavior beyond that is fair game - pay to play.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  21. Nov 30, 2020 at 1:56 PM
    lastcall190

lastcall190 New Member

Member:
    Yep, no doubt. Learned how to drive stick on that car, dad used to take me out after he got home from work to learn the ropes. Learned a lot about wrenching by working on it, too. Ah memories.

alittleoff and Thatbassguy like this.
  22. Nov 30, 2020 at 2:04 PM
    Abanero

Abanero [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I miss a manual. I learned in a 1989 Dodge Daytona Turbo and continued driving manual for aprox.. 10 years thereafter.

23. Nov 30, 2020 at 2:36 PM
    4scooter19

4scooter19 New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 and 86 4Runners
    When I started FTEP my first field training officer gave me a piece of advice that I think was the most beneficial advice I received for working the job that I do. He told me "Treat everyone how you want to be treated until they give you a reason not to." This is my approach to any ( not obviously threatening) interaction I have with people. A cop being a dick just to be a dick doesn't help anybody.

24. Nov 30, 2020 at 2:41 PM
    Abanero

Abanero [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I couldn't agree more.

25. Nov 30, 2020 at 2:59 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Haha! In 2000 I got an '85 Supra. The very next day I got pulled over on the freeway. I was fortunate that the cop had been behind me in an unmarked car, so he didn't actually clock me. I had gotten up to 115, and slowed down. He wrote me up at 15 over.

26. Nov 30, 2020 at 7:31 PM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    1976, 18 yrs. old, driving my Dads ‘73 HiLux. Pulled over for no rear license plate.
    Dad and I were at a friends house (Deputy Sheriff), l was splitting firewood and they were making a heavy duty
    bumper out of channel and plate steel. As we broke for lunch my Dad asked me to go back home and get another load of rounds to bring back and split.
    So off I go. Got about 2 miles down the road and was pulled over by a pastel (unmarked CHP cruiser).
    I explained that my Dad and our friend, the Sheriff, were building a rear bumper. He asked who the SO was
    and went back to his cruiser. Five minutes later he told me to go home, get the rounds and head back.

DaveW and Thatbassguy like this.
  27. Jan 14, 2021 at 7:07 PM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Kings front and back, RSG sliders, GOBI ladder BFG AT 285s, OEM phone dial wheels, KDSS
    1984 Nissan 4x4 pickup. I was stopped for speeding and got a ticket. I fought it in court and brought my girlfriend at the time, who was with me when I got stopped.
    After I gave my testimony, it was her turn.

Her testimony? I $hit you not..."What he said."

I lost.

lastcall190 and Toy4X4 like this.
  28. Jan 14, 2021 at 7:14 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    I got pulled over by a new purple Z28,,,,In my Z28.....lol

Toy4X4 likes this.
  29. Jan 14, 2021 at 7:15 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    But I got a speedometer calibration and got defective equipment.....

Toy4X4 likes this.
  30. Jan 14, 2021 at 7:41 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Then they posted an article in n the paper about the purple Z28 police car.....,,,,:frustrated:

Toy4X4 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top