1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Temperature rising after being turned off

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by tpham18nm, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Aug 16, 2016 at 4:36 PM
    tpham18nm

tpham18nm [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello,

This is my first 4Runner that I've had. It's a 1994, 2wd, v6, 3.0, with 167k.

So far everything is running well on it. I recently done the spark plugs and wires and got the valves cover gaskets replaced + a coolant hose.

I did not notice if this happened before, but after I turn the runner off and let it sit for about 20 minutes and turn it back on; the temperature gauge will move up to the middle and sometimes even past the middle to the red side. When it's running it'll be a hair below he middle mark. Today I was quiet scared that it was going to over heat, but I turned the heater on and the needle went back down quickly. Like it jumped to its normal position. Sometimes I just drive it normally and it'll go down as well (without the heater turned on).

I checked if their was air in the system and everything looks good.

My question is if this is normal for the SUV. I need this thing to last!

P.S. I normally drive in 95 degree weather and it is city driving. it has not overheated while driving.

2. Aug 17, 2016 at 9:39 AM
    jester243

jester243 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium w/ KDSS
    I changed some lights, tires and tinted windows...mind blowing huh
    I think you're describing "heat soak", sounds normal as long as the temp goes back to the normal zone when the vehicle is running again. Basically you have all the heat of an engine that was running and your cooling system is not running to get rid of it so it just sits there and builds up a bit. I would think as long as you're not boiling coolant you would be ok, oh and welcome to the site :wave:

Bob likes this.
  3. Aug 18, 2016 at 7:14 AM
    Kyle11863

Kyle11863 King of the BS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Big Bear California
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 5 Speed Manual
    Doug Thorley long tube headers and lots of mud
    What @jester243 said. Its normal for the temp to rise after you turn the engine off because there is nothing cooling the engine anymore. That's why if you ever start to over heat while driving its best to not stop/shut off the car because it'll just get hotter. Granted if you're blowing coolant everywhere from it boiling over you're going to have to, but if you catch it before that point just crank the heater and try to keep the speed going without putting too much load on the engine. Having the vehicle moving and air forced through the radiator is one of the best things that cools you're engine. Hope this all helps

Oh and welcome! Get some sweet pics taken and post them on the 4runner calendar thread (link in sig) so it can maybe get featured ;)

Bob likes this.
  4. Sep 20, 2016 at 4:45 PM
    Desert rat

Desert rat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Maricopa california
    Vehicle:
    93 4runner
    Lift in rear 31" tires
    Make sure your radiator is clear and clean.

Products Discussed in

To Top