1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma/6th Gen/LC Water crossing turbo question

Discussion in '6th Gen 4Runners (2025+)' started by wax poetic, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Apr 23, 2024 at 8:42 AM
    wax poetic

wax poetic [OP] New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    OEM+ Trail Edition rims w/ Toyo AT3 in stock size OEM Heritage Grill OEM Black Valences (f + r) Westcott Sliders/Modular Roof Rack Roam 95L case DIY sleeping platform
    I didn't want to clutter another thread, although maybe that would have been better than starting a new post but I digress...

I was thinking about water crossings and then realized I hadn't seen where the turbo sits on the new engines. Is that in an area where, when overlanding or off-roading, it could be an issue or is it fairly high. Especially for people with a Trailhunter who believe that having a snorkel would make them safe? Have they also moved the other breathers or is that still something people should be aware of? Are there other water crossing concerns with the new platform?

I realize this won't affect many of us at all, was just a thought I was having as I haven't seen any mention of it yet.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    Thatbassguy and icebear like this.
  2. Apr 23, 2024 at 11:56 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    Ive been told by various folks that the snorkels are not 100% air tight and actually have weep holes at the bottom to let any stray water drain. The airbox has weep holes as well. I think if anyone actually thinks a snorkel = OK to dunk it up to the hood, they may be in for a bad day. Ive been told its more to avoid splash up and keep the intake away from road dust than to make it a U-boat on wheels.....

Cold water hitting the hot turbo... or a lot of other hot metal parts under there is probably not a good idea either.

2Toys likes this.
  3. Apr 23, 2024 at 12:13 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    5G 4Runner, 3G Tacoma on 35"s
    Turbo's fine. The intake on mainstream trim levels will be over the radiator support. The intake air enters through the front grille, over the radiator support via this little scoop, then into the air filter housing behind it. The hood forms the upper lid of the scoop. You should be fine as long as you don't submerge the vehicle past the hood. Since air is no longer drawn from the fender well, the fender liners can be removed for larger tires without worry. Tacoma pictures shown:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Worry about the other stuff like the electric radiator fan (which typically shatter when hitting deep water), the ADD actuator in the traditional location, rear diff breather in the traditional location, electric parking brake actuators, the ECM that now sits in the engine bay...

icebear likes this.
  4. Apr 23, 2024 at 12:18 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    Rear axle breather on the Tacoma OR:

[​IMG]

A diff breather relocate is still necessary. Another day-1 mod like the airdam delete.

5. Apr 23, 2024 at 12:25 PM
    icebear

icebear Recovering Kia Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    Over in Bronco Sport land, the turbo hasn't been an issue and Ford claims 23.6" wading depth capability. The junction box and ECU live in the driver's side wheel well behind the bumper below that line. I think the verdict for this one was insufficient waterproofing at the factory so probably something to take a quick peek at.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/bronco-sport-badlands-dies-crossing-20-of-water.2527/

For corrosion gore:
    https://www.broncosportforum.com/fo...nds-dies-crossing-20-of-water.2527/post-44035

6. Apr 23, 2024 at 12:26 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    Toyota has been putting turbos on Hiluxes and Land Cruisers for the past 40 years. Think these guys worry about the turbo getting wet?

icebear likes this.
  7. Apr 23, 2024 at 7:49 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    That's just inadequate connector design on the Bronco Sport. You've seen where the 5th gen 4Runner's fuel pump controller lives? It's under the frame, by the spare tire:

[​IMG]

icebear[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top