1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tablets & cameras

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Sandbuster, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Jan 13, 2022 at 7:37 PM
    Sandbuster

Sandbuster [OP] Breaking Wind

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Power Commander, LED lights upgrade, Eibach Pro Truck Series suspension upgrade (front & rear), Airbags (rear), dash integrated trailer brake control, Body Armor front bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch
    Has anyone setup a tablet to view front and rear cameras? Would like to use a 10” tablet for better GPS view along with capability of selecting either front or rear camera on the bigger screen.

2. Jan 13, 2022 at 7:53 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
  3. Jan 14, 2022 at 5:16 AM
    Sandbuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Power Commander, LED lights upgrade, Eibach Pro Truck Series suspension upgrade (front & rear), Airbags (rear), dash integrated trailer brake control, Body Armor front bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch
    Well thanks for the heads-up on what NOT to try o_O. Should you find something that actually works please re-post. Seems like such a technically simple task but my research has not really been very productive. I don't care for the puny little screen that comes OEM with the '19 4runner. I've even considered upgrading the head unit which is a little bigger (at quite a cost) but not as big as a 10" tablet. I'm after a super high resolution, 10.1" lightweight android tablet with GPS and the capability of inputting live camera feed from a camera - front or rear. Doubtful I'll find a tablet that allow for multiple camera inputs so I'll just set up a splitter switch that can direct one or the other camera feeds to the tablet through the OTG USB-c tablet input (at least that's my "theory"). The tablet would be pretty much dedicated to just GPS and camera views...

4. Jan 14, 2022 at 6:48 AM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    How and where do you plan to mount that? That’s a big screen.

5. Jan 14, 2022 at 7:12 AM
    Sandbuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    I've got a plan... If it works out I'll post some pics. I've got to come up with an idea for a solid mounting - maybe a heavy duty cup holder mount with additional horizontal support but before I cross that bridge I have to know that I can get a live feed from the cameras into the tablet..

6. Feb 1, 2022 at 10:04 AM
    SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Venture & 2010 tundra limited
    Here's what I did and works well.

pros- only one wire to front for camera, one wire to the back camera and no wiring harness, anytime, it loops and records. 4k, which Is a big plus and you get a dashcam. Dashcam (link below) wifis to any tablet or phone. No wires. Clean set up.

Cons- had to buy two dashcams. But used the second dashcam for my 3rd gen without the back cam. Have to unplug and plug in the camera you want to see on tablet or phone (I'm looking for a double female headphone jack to one male with switch for cameras, no luck) or you can just install the back secondary camera in the front, which is what I would have done but didn't think about it until after installing the camera to the back and didn't feel like removing it. The wire went under the head liner.

I have two other dashcams and this one is by far the best. Hope this helps

REDTIGER 4K Dual Dash Cam Built-in WiFi GPS Front 4K/2.5K and Rear 1080P Dual Dash Camera for Cars,3.16" Display,170° Wide Angle Dashboard Camera Rec https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TT1RRGP

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  7. Feb 1, 2022 at 2:17 PM
    Sandbuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    I've actually considered the wifi configuration but I'm determined (for now at least) to interface both cameras to the Galaxy tablet. Running wires doesn't bother me - I'm retired and have plenty of time to do such things. I have ideas on how I'll lay everything out including the tablet mounting and switch placement which is super simple. Still working on the video integration but I'm close...

8. Feb 2, 2022 at 2:39 PM
    Sandbuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    I like to keep things as simple as possible:

upload_2022-2-2_17-33-28.jpg

note the small strip of weatherstrip - this simple serves as a cushion and resistance to movement..

upload_2022-2-2_17-34-58.jpg

The tablet stays securely in place (via the magnetic mount) and will soon have a hidden cable to keep it charged up. I did have to make a very minor cut on the lower corners of the tablet case in order to fit perfectly in the clock basin. Yeah, I can't see the clock but the tablet displays one so its no big deal and to remove the tablet takes about second..

Jynarik and ElectroBoy like this.
  9. Feb 2, 2022 at 3:22 PM
    JaSC

JaSC New Member

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Black 2018 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, crawl control and MTS
    ToyTec Lift, Dual Batt Redarc. Rear safe drawer, console safe, Aux 2004 JGC fuse box, Warn bumper, 12,000lb winch
    I have pondered often a way to run, basically webcams, converting to 12v stepped way down and use tablet as a multi camera monitor. Place very small cameras on roof rails pointing down towards front. Not a high priority for me right now, but it is interesting and I'm sure there are several ways to skin this cat. I have this thread on watch now.

Products Discussed in

To Top