1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sway bar and rim upgrade questions

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by TomS, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Mar 16, 2018 at 12:36 PM
    TomS

TomS [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Limited
    None
    Hello all.
    I am interested in bigger sway bars as my 2016 Limited is a bit soft (too much roll) at freeway speeds. I don't go off-road except for gravel roads that are fairly flat.
    So far I have not found any larger aftermarket sway bars for a 2016 Limited. I was wondering if someone made a end link kit that uses the off-road / tail version 4Runner sway bars and gets ride of the disconnect feature as that bar is larger. I have found some firmer sway bar bushings listed in various posts - but the front bar on my 2016 Limited is 33 mm not 29 mm. Maybe the 29mm bushings will fit anyway. My rear is 21mm not 19 as some others have posted.

Also, I want to add 20x8.5 rims with the stock 15mm Offset with 275/55-20 tires (same diameter but 30 mm wider). Can someone confirm these will fit without any fender mods?

2. Mar 16, 2018 at 8:48 PM
    4X4Runner

4X4Runner The Anti Pro, Pro! Staff Member

Member:
    The left coast
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner Smashed Ass Edition
    Mad driver mod. OME Suspension. 285/70R17 BFG AT KO2
    I’m not too up to speed on the limited versions but I presume you have the XREAS system on yours. Someone else correct me if I’m wrong.

It may be why your options are limited in the sway bar. I presume that you are looking at the Trail or the TRD Off Road versions which have the KDSS system. Yes?

If so, the KDSS system is wholly different and will not work with the Limited if you seek a sway bar swap.

As for the wheel, the stock wheel is a 20x7 and your looking at a 8.5” width wheel with stock offset? I would presume there may be rubbing issues. I went with a 285/70 on a stick 7.5” rim with about a 1/2” to spare between the UCA and tire. Your 30mm is about 1.18” increase or .59” on either side of the rim so I would foresee tire rub on the UCA...constantly.

Bob likes this.
  3. Mar 18, 2018 at 5:46 AM
    TomS

TomS [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Limited
    None
    Thanks for the Info. A 285/70-17 is around 32.8 inches in diameter and a 275/55-20 is around 31.9 inches in diameter or 0.9 inches less (about a 1/2 inch all around) - so I am hoping this size will fit without rubbing. Also, the section widths are about the same at 11.2 inches for the recommended rim widths (0.2 inches more and less if you go up and down in wheel width (using 1/2 inch increments)). I'm sure if searched enough I could find someone using 275/55-20 on sock rims (they would be pinched a bit) but I want to use summer wheels with this tire size in 8.5 inch rim width. I could use less offset (less than 15mm) like 12mm but most aftermarket wheels use the stock 15mm offset.

Products Discussed in

To Top