1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension upgrade help

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Jamesngotts, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Oct 12, 2021 at 12:00 PM
    Jamesngotts

Jamesngotts [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner TRD Offroad
    TRD PRO 17” Rim 265/70r17 Ko2 tires
    Hello community.

Background: I come from the solid axle coil suspension world so I’m asking for some guidance with our 2018 4Runner TRD OffRoad (KDSS). Currently we ha have a level kit consisting of front Bilstein 6112 coil overs set to a 1.4” lift, OEM rear coils, and rear Bilstein 5100s (OEM travel). Rig has the black/red TRD OF wheels wrapped in 265/70r17 KO2s. For protection we have ARB skids and frame mounted rock sliders.

Objective: We would like to fit 285/70r17s with as little increase or zero increase in lift as possible but also not rub like crazy. We want a matching spare and hope it fits under the rig. The chin can not sit up higher than the rear.

Questions: Can we accomplish this with our current lift, some trimming and this mount chop thing I keep hearing about? If not, can I lift the front a bit more and keep the rear OEM height? If I have to lift the rear, who makes the best track bar to recenter the axle? Can we keep our TRD wheels or is there some magic offset number we need like on my Power Wagon?

Thatbassguy likes this.
  2. Oct 12, 2021 at 12:22 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I believe a few have fit 285's at stock height.

You'll need an alignment shop to get you as much caster as possible while keeping camber and toe-in in spec.

Look up the "fender liner mod" as this will give you a bit more clearance as well.

The mudflaps might need some trimming or adjustment. I believe you can reshape the mudflap or fender liner a bit with a heat gun and something to push and hold the plastic back while it cools a bit.

7385 and Jamesngotts[OP] like this.
  3. Oct 12, 2021 at 12:36 PM
    iamincrediboy

iamincrediboy New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 V8 4Runner Limited - Silver
    In addition to the above, if you have stock UCAs you might need to upgrade in order to get the proper alignment specs, if only for more adjustability. Fender liner mod will help, whether you move it forward or just cut it off. If you do need to touch the rear and want an adjustable panhard bar, Dobinsons panhard is probably the best bang for your buck.

Jamesngotts[OP], 7385 and Thatbassguy like this.
  4. Oct 19, 2021 at 10:53 AM
    DurangoMax

DurangoMax New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Edition w/KDSS
    Dobinsons Lift (2.5F/1.5R), Dobinsons UCAs, SSO Slimline bumper, Smittybilt X20 Winch, RCI Aluminum Skids, RCI Gas Tanka dn Differential Skids, RCI Rock Sliders, BFG AT K02 (285/70R17), APEX Rear Bumper
    I put 285s on my 2016 with a 2.5" F / 1.5" R lift. I rub against the mud flaps on full lock in reverse but other than that I run clear. I did replace the UCAs (used Dobinsons for every thing. The 285 spare fits but hung down a bit more. When I replaced my rear bumper with some Steel (APEX from Wheelers) I did cut off the bumper stops so it fit up a little higher.

Products Discussed in

To Top