1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension suggestions

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Kellapitter, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Jan 12, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    Kellapitter

Kellapitter [OP] New Member

Member:
    First off I'm new here (first post) so I hope this is in the correct place to post this. I just bought a new 2021 ORP as a daily driver with plans to do occasional overlanding trips, nothing serious with rock climbs but my runner has the stock suspension (double wishbone). I have been reading about the nose dive breaking and definitely experience it so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what suspension I should go with. My first priority is that it handles great as a daily driver but also performs well if I take it to easy/moderate trails. Price isn't necessarily an issue, I'm more concerned with performance. I don't think I want to lift it, I'm more looking for better handling and the nose dive when breaking to go away. Thanks, for any and all suggestions.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  2. Jan 12, 2021 at 8:26 AM
    TXKK626

TXKK626 New Member

Member:
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture Edition
    Welcome!

I don't have any answers for the nosedive while braking, but sure notice it myself! I've seen it mentioned more than a few times around the forum.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  3. Jan 12, 2021 at 8:51 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    Hmm I think the best thing you can do is find TRD Pro Fox take-offs from a new vehicle where the owner wanted something else (a lift). For $1500 or less, that can't be beat as far as handling goes especially for off-roading (nothing crazy). This package is also available new from Toyota but pretty pricey at $2700. I still think it's worth that price as, IMO, it's as good as the handling gets for the 4Runner. Most would suggest something else for nearly three grand, but most would also want a lift at the same time.

Other than that, I would suggest Bilstein 6112 for the front. It's adjustable so choose stock height or a tiny lift. Then pair it with Bilstein 5160 shocks for the rear, and keep your stock springs. This setup is also fantastic, simple, fairly "OEM+" but with its digressive valving will make the truck feel more controlled and planted, especially with ON-road driving.

FYI, the TRD Pro models come with the front about an inch higher than the Off-Road / SR5 models.

edgesalon and Thatbassguy like this.
  4. Jan 12, 2021 at 9:38 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    You could swap out the shocks for some bilstein 5100’s with stock coils. The coils will be what greatly affects the nose dive but a firmer shock will still help, and improve body roll.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  5. Jan 12, 2021 at 9:44 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    ^ Or Eibachs, or Foxs.. But I still think the 6112 is a vastly better option.

Without changing the spring, you can change how quickly or slowly the front end dives.. but it will still dive roughly the same amount.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  6. Jan 12, 2021 at 3:50 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    I have a thread on here entitled ELKA. Your description sounds a bit like me, my priority was performance. A 4 Runner has a lot of high speed driveability, and so I didn’t want to compromise that by doing anything that might be a downgrade. Ok, Elka suspensions are expensive, but so are 4 Runners. My suspension is definitely an upgrade. I’d recommend it to anyone who is discerning and can afford it.

Toy4X4 and Thatbassguy like this.
  7. Jan 12, 2021 at 4:42 PM
    Kellapitter

Kellapitter [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to do some research now and see what feels like the best. I'm leaning towards fox because Toyota puts them on the trd pro and I have the pro wheels already. I'm sure I sound novice but I'm very new to this, I've always had old beat up vehicles and now I just want to have this one set up to handle what I'll be doing with it.

8. Jan 12, 2021 at 5:01 PM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Welcome from Wisconsin! I would look into the Elka suspension, primo stuff!

9. Jan 12, 2021 at 5:12 PM
    gunsnob

gunsnob New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD ORP
    Kings Shocks, SPC UCA’s, Method MR702 rims, Toyo AT III’s in 285/70/17, Gobi Roof Rack, various Baja Designs lights.
    Welcome. I had Fox 2.0’s that helped tremendously. I’m running Kings now and it is even less prone but still present upon often last minute braking in Chicago traffic....

10. Jan 13, 2021 at 3:21 PM
    kireoltim

kireoltim New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 5th Gen TRD PRO
    Come'up winch, C4 lowPro Front bumper, C4 Sliders, Victory 4x4 rear bumper and dual swings, Magnuson Superchagred, King 2.5 with Icon unibal uppers, Icon Aluminum Rear Trailing Arms and Camburg Lower Control Arms, TrekBoxx and MUCH MORE..
    Running Kings 2.5's on mine with the Icon billeted upper control arms and the Camburg lowers. Things a beast on or off road..
    I just dont have great turning radius, its kinda embarrassing.. BUT off road driving is a dream, seriously.. rarely do I get nose dive on freeway driving unless I smash the breaks.

SlvrSlug likes this.
  11. Jan 13, 2021 at 5:56 PM
    edgesalon

edgesalon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Te
    Vehicle:
    18 FunRunner :-)
    welcome to the forum
    there are many different ways that you can go so do your research so you get what you want for your needs with the truck, i was in the same situation you are so I went with OEM Trd Pro Fox suspension from the market place here got great deal too, it works very well for my needs and I am very happy with it the ride quality on road & off road good luck

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  12. Jan 14, 2021 at 3:07 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I just got them and still learning that how much they adjustable in few clicks. I guess I might need few days to understand it accurately.

https://youtu.be/WCyzwYRZqwc

13. Jan 14, 2021 at 4:48 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Wow, kmeeg, they look great! Super nice truck.

Toy4X4 and kmeeg[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Jan 14, 2021 at 4:51 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Thank you.. :):)

Oldtoyotaguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jan 15, 2021 at 5:33 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    That is really nice!

kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top