1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by JakeR1, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Jan 22, 2018 at 9:34 AM
    JakeR1

JakeR1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2010 limited 4runner
    Bilstein 5100
    Hello all, new here, hoping to get some answers to questions I'm sure some of you may be tired of talking about, I tried to research on my own and before i do anymore to my 4runner I'd like advice. I just purchased a 2010 4runner limited about a week ago, it's 2 wheel drive, 102k mileage. I searched to find a good deal and wasn't considering a 2 wheel drive or a limited as it's not the 4runner of my preference, I was under the gun as my previous 4runner a 06" sport was stolen and totalled over Christmas. I purchased this one believing i had a good deal. The xreas suspension was leaking and needed replaced, so after reading on this forum and other forums it seemed pretty unanimous that bilstein 5100 were the way to go, so i had the xreas taken off and bilstein 5100 struts and shocks put on. Now here's my question, the ride seems pretty stiff, I put the fronts at .85 and kept everything else stock, coils etc.. what do i need to do to soften the ride? Change coils. Put the fronts to 0". Change bushings. ? I'm trying to do this on limited funds, want it right but not trying to spend too much or go for the off road suspension, just want it to ride nice with no nosedive. It's a 4x2 limited, not off roading with it.

2. Jan 22, 2018 at 11:04 AM
    brochacho

brochacho New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sequoia TRD Sport
    Welcome to the site! Since you set the front to .85" you preloaded the coils, this will create a stiffer ride. Part of the problems with Limited's is the 20" wheels with lower profile tires. There is less "give" in the side wall creating a stiffer ride. 5100's are stiffer shock than stock but should do a better job soaking up bumps as well. It's kind of a double edged sword, 5100's are stiffer but help the nose dive, stock shocks are softer but have significant nose dive.

Outside of going to and expensive coil over assembly I don't know if there is a cheap way to fix your issues.

JakeR1[OP] and Bob like this.
  3. Jan 22, 2018 at 1:50 PM
    JakeR1

JakeR1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2010 limited 4runner
    Bilstein 5100
    Thank you for the response, I guess my best bet is to set the front to 0 and see how it feels, I'm not sure i understand pre loaded coils but im guessing it has to do the length of it and now that it's sitting taller the coil is stretched. So, I'm really wondering how much of a difference that would make setting them to 0? Also i will look through threads tonight, if i were to put coils on it what would be suggested, I like the look of almost level, not looking for much more than that, mostly care to soften up the ride. Also thanks for the bilstein explanation, i was really starting to regret them, but the way you put it with balancing between ride and nosedive made sense.

4. Jan 22, 2018 at 2:55 PM
    brochacho

brochacho New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sequoia TRD Sport
    I hate to tell you "just live with it" but that may be your only option for what you are trying to achieve. Setting the 5100's back to zero will probably not make much of a noticeable difference. Not to mention the amount of work to remove the spring assembly and reinstall it may not be worth your time for little to no difference. If you try and go to a lift coil you will probably end up with the same result since most, if not all, aftermarket lift coils will be stiffer than stock. On top of that the shortest lift coil on the market will net you about 1.6" of lift which will leave you nose high. Maybe other can chime in with some other options but you're in a tough spot for sure. Maybe @Wheeler's Off-Road Inc has some better insight/options?

5. Jan 22, 2018 at 3:14 PM
    JakeR1

JakeR1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2010 limited 4runner
    Bilstein 5100
    That's what my gut was telling me, thought I'd ask before i settled with it. Thanks for the advice even if it isn't what i wanted to hear.

6. Jan 22, 2018 at 3:16 PM
    Wheeler's Off-Road Inc

Wheeler's Off-Road Inc New Member

Member:
    We were just thinking similar thoughts. The valving between stock and the 5100's are not that much of a difference. More than likely it is possibly the tire wheel combination you have. If @brochacho guessed your correct wheel and tire that you are running, that is likely the corporate for the different ride than your previous Runner. Lower profile tires do make the ride rougher. Plus driving it with the XREAS leaking probably didn't help out the initial test drive.

brochacho and JakeR1[OP] like this.
  7. Jan 22, 2018 at 3:29 PM
    JakeR1

JakeR1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2010 limited 4runner
    Bilstein 5100
    Ya, I bought the vehicle knowing the xreas was going out and i knew i could take it off and replace them with aftermarket, what i didn't account for was the rough ride afterwards, It was like with most things, never as simple as hoped. Also yes it sits on stock 20s, I don't know how much i can change on the tires profile without changing the wheel size but i will definitely go as big as i can. I'm hoping to resale the vehicle and move into a trail version just hoping the ride isn't as rough as i feel like it is. I've never owned anything that wasn't 4x4 or had wheels bigger than 17". Also glad to know the bilstein valving isn't really that stiff, as i said i was worried i had made a poor choice in shocks and struts.

8. Jan 22, 2018 at 4:00 PM
    Wheeler's Off-Road Inc

Wheeler's Off-Road Inc New Member

Member:
    No worries. Simply try and change the wheel and tire altogether and go back to a 17" with some actual sidewall if it's within your budget and what you want to do to the rig prior to selling. :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top