1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension lift combinations

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by hdiron1200, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Apr 12, 2017 at 6:21 PM
    hdiron1200

hdiron1200 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 4runner Trail
    I need some advice....
    I have a 12' 4runner trail(no KDSS), It currently has a ARB bumper/winch combo, Shrockworks sliders, and full Shrockworks armor (steel), ARB diff breather, Gobi ladder, Yakima Mega warrior roof rack, 265/70/17 BFG KO2, and Supreme Suspension aluminum spacer and rear composite spring toppers for an approx. 2.5-3" lift, and differential drop kit.
    Now due to all the weight of accessories it is almost like there is no lift at all :(
    The research I've done all points toward replacement of this set up with OLD MAN EMU 3" lift kit with medium duty rear springs, with rear nitrosport shocks. Front heavy duty springs, with nitrosport struts, and left front spacer to combat "taco lean".
    Some have said I can combine both kits, for a little extra height? Some people say just replace with the OME kit. I use it as a daily driver, but do off road and camp, 40% of the time.
    I welcome your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

2. Apr 13, 2017 at 7:44 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    I'll toss this out there and say each lift has different weights, so you'll have a different result. There's not a guarantee "This combination" will result in this lift.

However, I think you're on the right track.

ARB Bumper + Winch is probably around 160 - 180lbs on the front.
    Steel skids are probably another 150 lbs
    Gobi ladder + roof rack around 90 lbs total
    Tires don't matter, they are un-sprung weight

I'm assuming no rear bumper since it wasn't mentioned.

You're going to want the heavy duty springs up front, period. That bumper + winch is gonna eat up your lift and cause nosediving. With the extra weight of the accessories it's struggling greatly. In addition, that spacer is compressing your springs, so you're limiting travel and your ride is probably pretty rough at this point. I'd consider a 885 or 887, depending on the weight of your bumper+winch.
    Medium / Heavy: Heavy Duty: Seems backwards but the heavy duty springs without the spacer will likely improve your ride quite a bit, since you'll have full spring / shock travel and a firmer ride. It will likely reduce body roll too, as I imagine with all that weight you have a good bit of it.

As for the rear springs, I think the factory spring rate is about 180 lbs. With the extra weight of the roof rack and the armor / sliders, you'll probably want to bump up a good bit. I went with a Toytec 2" spring and it was much better, but I have light armor and light skids without a rear bumper, and it netted 2.5" lift. So, without a rear bumper, I'd go medium, maybe like this for 3" of lift: Personally, chunk the spacers.

As far as the lean, I don't run a 1/4" spacer on the drivers side, and other than hitting it with a tape measure, you really can't tell. I think the Taco Lean spacer is a placebo and while it technically does what it says, your weight changes every single time you load it up for camping, fill it up with gas, and have different weights of people sitting in different configs.

3. Apr 13, 2017 at 9:45 AM
    hdiron1200

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 4runner Trail
    Thank you soooooo much....great info!!!
    That is exactly where I was heading, but sometimes you need a cooler head to prevail
    Thanks again.

4. Apr 13, 2017 at 8:23 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Well I hope my advice helps you, but hopefully others will chime in, as there's plenty of experience on this forum regarding lifting. My little bit of advice was just from personal experience, which, with OME and Bilsteins, have both been good.

5. Apr 14, 2017 at 10:01 AM
    brochacho

brochacho New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sequoia TRD Sport
    Whatever you do, do not stack lifts. Everything else @fajitas21said is correct! You need heavy duty front and rear springs.

6. Apr 20, 2017 at 10:50 AM
    hdiron1200

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 4runner Trail
    Thanks all, I have installed the OME 3" complete lift system, with Heavy duty up front and medium duty in the rear!
    I removed all other spacers and components. This netted me another 1-3 inches of ground clearance, and still able to commute normally!
    Thanks again.....pics soon!

fajitas21 and brochacho like this.
  7. Apr 20, 2017 at 7:02 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Excellent, how's the ride vs the spacers?

Products Discussed in

To Top