1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension Choice: Toytec Boss Performance VS Icon Stage 2

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Rguest3, May 21, 2018.

1. Jun 1, 2018 at 2:30 PM
    JosephMehta

JosephMehta New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Zombocalypse
    Shrockworks Front Bumper, CBI Rear Swing Away with dual Jerry Cans and full size spare, Full Shrockworks Armor, Warn 9.5 Synthetic, PIAA Lighting on roof rack and front bumper, Rear lighting wired to vehicle's reverse gear, Dobisons dual slide out rear bay storage with sliding top and refrigerator tie-downs, Limb Risers, Gobi Rack w/mounted Powertank, Fire Extinguisher, Jack, Axe, and Shovel, 33" Nitto Grapplers (295/70/17), Body Mount Chop, Icon Stage 7 Billet w/S2 Stage 3 Secondary adjustable front suspension, 3.5 inch Icon Stage 7 Billet with Billet Upper and Lower Links, Icon Bump Stop, 3.0 inch Icon Overland Rear Coils, ARB Front and Rear Air Locker with ARB Differential Breather (relocated to engine bay), ARB Twin Compressor mounted in engine bay, 360 degree, 4-camera system with DVR with monitor mounted on the dash, Dual Rear Headrest Monitors w/DVD and gaming capability Future mods in 2019: Magnusson Supercharger w/Catback system and possibly an roof mounted, solar heated shower and water storage
    It is a 3 inch lift, but adjustable. I never adjust mine.

2. Jun 1, 2018 at 2:38 PM
    PCRIDE4RUNNER

PCRIDE4RUNNER New Member

Member:
    SUPER DUPER
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    You answered my next thought! I wanted to get a warn front bumper with hidden winch and I've seen a lot of comments and videos it does add some weight and stiffer springs are needed.

Yes the tires is one thing I've been aware of, being around jeepers most of my life I've learned that knotty, big, aggressive tires may look cool, but not always the best for the daily driver! Not knowing a ton about what kind to get I was thinking the BFG Ko2's?

The lift seems straight forward to get, less complicated than I thought...

Thanks again @JosephMehta ! I'll check out videos suggested.

3. Jun 1, 2018 at 2:58 PM
    JBTRD

JBTRD As usual, saying something stupid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 (The Real) Trail Edition
    Thanks for the info, i guess my main concern is will the 700lb bring me back to being leveled

4. Jun 1, 2018 at 3:29 PM
    JosephMehta

JosephMehta New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Zombocalypse
    Shrockworks Front Bumper, CBI Rear Swing Away with dual Jerry Cans and full size spare, Full Shrockworks Armor, Warn 9.5 Synthetic, PIAA Lighting on roof rack and front bumper, Rear lighting wired to vehicle's reverse gear, Dobisons dual slide out rear bay storage with sliding top and refrigerator tie-downs, Limb Risers, Gobi Rack w/mounted Powertank, Fire Extinguisher, Jack, Axe, and Shovel, 33" Nitto Grapplers (295/70/17), Body Mount Chop, Icon Stage 7 Billet w/S2 Stage 3 Secondary adjustable front suspension, 3.5 inch Icon Stage 7 Billet with Billet Upper and Lower Links, Icon Bump Stop, 3.0 inch Icon Overland Rear Coils, ARB Front and Rear Air Locker with ARB Differential Breather (relocated to engine bay), ARB Twin Compressor mounted in engine bay, 360 degree, 4-camera system with DVR with monitor mounted on the dash, Dual Rear Headrest Monitors w/DVD and gaming capability Future mods in 2019: Magnusson Supercharger w/Catback system and possibly an roof mounted, solar heated shower and water storage
    As an FYI, toytec does have a heavy duty rear spring option

5. Jun 1, 2018 at 3:33 PM
    JosephMehta

JosephMehta New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Zombocalypse
    Also...I really like the K02s; a really good all around tire. Went through a snowstorm, uphill with probably 8 inches or more of really heavy stuff and the tires ate it up. I was passing cars that were spinning tires, but hardly moving, and cars that had just given up. I kept my speed low, around 20, and then started to test them a little: 30, 40, but capped it at 50 and never once felt any slip on the road. Not saying that you should all go out and do that, but it was my experience.

I'm moving to the Nitto Grapplers begrudgingly; I wanted the K02s in 295s, but there are none apparently. Shop is doing the Nittos instead. We shall see how it goes...

6. Jun 1, 2018 at 3:44 PM
    PCRIDE4RUNNER

PCRIDE4RUNNER New Member

Member:
    SUPER DUPER
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    I watched Wanderlost Overland install video and it is straight forward. Thank you @Wanderlost!

For me I think the 3" lift is a bit too high for being my daily driver, since these are adjustable, has anyone adjusted them down to 2" ? Its just a bit tall and it seems with a 3" I'd need much larger tires so it doesn't look like small tires on a big lift.

lift runner.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Jun 1, 2018 at 3:44 PM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I know but i have no added weight in the rear

8. Jun 1, 2018 at 3:48 PM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Not really, you can go one size up and it wont look small, and 3” really is not much my truck has a 3” now and as a daily driver mine was just fine, never really a problem.

9. Jun 1, 2018 at 5:46 PM
    PCRIDE4RUNNER

PCRIDE4RUNNER New Member

Member:
    SUPER DUPER
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    If I went with this set, do I continue to use the OEM springs?
    https://bilsteinlifts.com/shop/toyo...ng-5100-rear-shocks-for-2010-2015-4runner-fj/

It appears these 5100's would give me 0-2.5" lift, and I keep the OEM coils. ? Let me know if this is correct. It also seems an affordable alternate to getting the entire spring kit a 3" would have.

Seems this set would be more ideal, I guess I would keep the OEM rear springs, the fronts are replaced.
    https://bilsteinlifts.com/shop/toyo...2-rear-lift-shocks-10-17-toyota-4-runner-4wd/

10. Jun 1, 2018 at 6:17 PM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I would not keep any oem springs, i have a 3” lift and my rear coils are still the original, with this your truck will float above the spring, so if you are carrying 5 passengers the rear will sag until it reaches the coils, or if you go over a speed bump you will hear your rear axel bounce until the rear coils make contact. A good general rule is make sure all coils match you lift. Trust me i learned the hard way and im paying for it now by getting a whole new kit.

PCRIDE4RUNNER[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jun 1, 2018 at 6:33 PM
    PCRIDE4RUNNER

PCRIDE4RUNNER New Member

Member:
    SUPER DUPER
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Thanks. So just to clarify, it seems 2" lift kits don't come with springs, and expect you to use OEM coils. Can I still get aftermarket coils with a 2" lift kit?

12. Jun 1, 2018 at 6:39 PM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Check out dobinsions, they have a huge coil seletion, im pretty sure they have some, while you are there check out a 2” lift, it may be cheaper. I am currently undecided myself for toytech or Dobinsions

13. Jun 2, 2018 at 8:16 AM
    PCRIDE4RUNNER

PCRIDE4RUNNER New Member

Member:
    SUPER DUPER
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Thanks a ton for all this great info and helping me out. One thing I’m not totally clear on. If I go with that Bilstein 2” kit, this will use the stock OEM rear springs, sounds like that’s not wise. So would I just replace the OEM with the same size of an aftermarket brand like the donsinsins and it’s the same spring but just stiffer than the OEM spring? Again I wouldn’t want to go higher in the rear but let’s say I was towing a camper or had 2 people w/gear in the back, would it sag with the OEM size springs but just a different rating ?
    I hope that makes sense

How do I choose an aftermarket spring that works with these Bilsteins? What size /rating is the stock OEM?

14. Jun 2, 2018 at 9:18 AM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Sorry for the miss information, i was a little confused and i thought you were lifting the rear. In that case you could get away with oem rear coils because they wont he floating, but i would still highly recommend changeing them as they are very weak and soft. Now as for what rating, it depends on how much you have gear and a trailer. No matter what you doing oem it will sag, but the softest after market rear coils are usually a little stonger and stiffer than stock so your 4runner payload increases. Now be careful dont get higher duty rear coils (like medium or heavy) when you only occasionally run lots of weight, because the times you are not running all that weight your ride will be really stiff. As for brands it wont matter your rear shock and rear coils are in different places unlike the front, so as long as they are for the same lift or no lift you will be fine, lots of people run bilstine 5100s and replace both front and back coils for old man emu.

Also think about your future mods when picking coils, if you know for a fact you will be adding for example a front bumper right away buy coils to compensate for that, i did not and now i am paying for it and looking into whole new kits because i still run stock rear coils and stock weight rated front coils with a 180lb bumper and winch and sag badly in the front.

15. Jun 2, 2018 at 10:03 AM
    PCRIDE4RUNNER

PCRIDE4RUNNER New Member

Member:
    SUPER DUPER
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR

Awesome ! Thanks again. Yea I’ll probably do a front bumper so I’ll need to look if those bilsteins will work. Maybe I just get the shocks, then the coils separate like your saying. I appreciate the info and help!

16. Jun 2, 2018 at 10:54 AM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    No problem, if you are going to use bilstines then you are better off useing old man emu coils, but that will give ypu a 3” lift, dobisions i think is the only brand that has a 2” lift to acomidate weight. If i were you i would suggest going 3” that 1” is not going to make a huge difference.

17. Jun 2, 2018 at 2:48 PM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I have a question when switching out lifts 650lbs or 700lbs? I have been doing extesive research and would like clearificatio. I currently have a sso simline bumper 70lbs and a smittybilt 10k winch with steel cable 87lbs, However i plan on changeing to synthetic so it will only weigh 67lbs. So with an extra ~140lbs will the 650lbs or 700lbs work? i do want my truck level with no sag, and no nose dive.

18. Jun 4, 2018 at 11:56 AM
    PCRIDE4RUNNER

PCRIDE4RUNNER New Member

Member:
    SUPER DUPER
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR

I found this from Dobinsion
    Our C59-599 rear coils are the lowest height lift coils we make. They will lift 1" to 1.25", depending on loads and weight added to the rear. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRSLMPZ

19. Jun 4, 2018 at 3:23 PM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
  20. Aug 27, 2018 at 1:58 PM
    thepman

thepman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kern County California
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD Premium
    Toytec Lift, SPC UCA's, Nitto Terra Ridge Grappler so far!
    I installed the Toytec myself. Love it!

21. Sep 5, 2018 at 6:31 PM
    thepman

thepman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kern County California
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD Premium
    Toytec Lift, SPC UCA's, Nitto Terra Ridge Grappler so far!
    I installed the Toytec with the assistance of Wonderlost Overland video. I love it![​IMG]

22. Sep 6, 2018 at 6:26 AM
    tacotundra

tacotundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    My wife is happy with her ADS set up.

23. Nov 22, 2018 at 9:48 PM
    CalRnr

CalRnr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP Magnetic Gray
    I will be adding a steel bumper/winch and wondering if I go with 700lb springs up front and don't add the bumper for a few months, will there be any issues or any weird ride height in the front as a result? Just don't want to have to buy/install new springs in a few months when I get the bumper. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

24. Nov 27, 2018 at 4:42 PM
    CalRnr

CalRnr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    Just bought an Icon Stage 2 kit. Anyone have thoughts on the track bar? I opted not to get it as it seems like $300 for a piece of pipe might not be necessary. Also looking to go with a 1 inch spring in the rear because I don't want less of a lift. Any thoughts on who makes a good spring for this setup? Thanks!

25. Dec 3, 2018 at 5:45 AM
    Rguest3

Rguest3 [OP] 2018 TRD Off-Road Premium

Member:
    Lakewood Ranch. FL
    You don't want to install the 2" Icon Spring that came with the Stage-2?

I added the Rear Trac Bar to mine to dial it in. With the stock or 1" spring it is not necessary.

26. Dec 3, 2018 at 12:37 PM
    CalRnr

CalRnr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    I may end up going with the 2 inch Icon spring, but I'm going to be running BFG KO2 275's and don't want so much of a lift that those feel small. Kinda want a bit more subtle look, so was hoping to find a good 1 inch spring. Or, guess I could try sticking with the stock lift in the rear for now and see how that looks.

27. Dec 5, 2018 at 4:58 AM
    Rguest3

Member:
    Lakewood Ranch. FL
    Sounds like you are looking for a simple level lift up front and not the Icon-2. (I realize you already have it)

Maybe the Bilstein 6112/5160 (Similar to the Toyota Pro suspension) is a better option for you to install? The ride will be much better than stock, get rid of most of the sway, nose dive and squat. The height is still adjustable. You can raise it more later if adding 2" springs at some point. I have the Bilstein 6112/5160 (SAW 1.5" Rear Spring) on my FJ and, Honestly, I think it rides better as a daily driver than the Icon on my 4Runner.

CalRnr likes this.
  28. Dec 6, 2018 at 1:03 PM
    CalRnr

CalRnr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. Yeah. I was kinda torn and definitely thought of that option. I wanted something that's a level above the Bilstein suspension, but not necessarily with too big of a lift. If I'm spending the time on the install, I want to feel like I've got something that I'll be happy with as my needs evolve (to more off-road use). Regardless, the Icon 2 parts are showing up bit by bit, and I'm going to give it a shot. If the lift is too much with the 2 inch springs, I may go back to the stock springs or find a 1" set of springs. But, I've got the feeling 2" will be ok. I have the BFG KO2 275's on now, and new wheels with -10 offset, and it looks great. Some rubbing in the front, but hoping the lift helps with that.

29. Dec 6, 2018 at 2:10 PM
    Rguest3

Member:
    Lakewood Ranch. FL
    The Icon front Coil-overs are VERY adjustable. Maybe just put those on for now with 1-11/2" additional height with the rear shocks. This will be much better than stock. Test it out and see if you like it better. I'll bet you never go back to the stock Front Coil-Overs.

You can add the Icon rear springs and adjust the front higher and add the Upper Control Arms later if you want. Really can't go wrong.

30. Dec 6, 2018 at 4:23 PM
    CalRnr

CalRnr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    That's actually a great idea. I thought about using the original springs in the rear. I also feel like I can tackle the front myself on a weekend day and see how the lift height is and go from there. Thanks. Below is a pic with the new tires and wheels installed. No lift yet.

SKT_07 and jgcaps like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top