1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering Wheel Vibration

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010+)' started by Wyo Trails, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Mar 12, 2018 at 5:54 AM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    so @10K miles it started ... that is to me , with my investigations the front diff bearings etc casting of the front diff ..

check the diff output shafts and the input shaft .. block wheels put in neutral .. grab on the shafts see if they flop around .. if so then you need this replaced poor casting of the front diff damages the bearings ...

now since you had all those wheels screwed with and tires etc...... more confusion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I hope they did balance the tires properly toyota wheels do require special tools to do this balancing ..

2. Mar 16, 2018 at 5:38 AM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    how did this work out ?

TN_TRAIL and rsimi72 like this.
  3. Jun 8, 2018 at 7:48 PM
    f631

f631 New Member

Member:
    I've had the same issue on my 2017 sr5 premium. Mine started at 5000 miles. I took it in for a rotation and noticed the steering wheel shimmy/shake. I had numerous balances including road force balances. They swapped the 2 front Dunlops with new Dunlops. They then swapped the sr5 stock wheels with a new set of Trail wheels and new dunlop tires. The shake came back. They then bought me 4 new Michelins and the problem persist. They then had the regional field tech look at the vehicle and he said the tires were the problem. After 10 visits to the dealer which I bought the vehicle I used the NCDS(national center for dispute services), an entity which is paid by the auto makers. The arbitrator rode in my vehicle and noticed the shake. We then drove a brand new off the lot sr5 and no shake was noticed. He ruled in Toyota's favor stating that while there was a shake he did not believe that the shake caused an issue with the operation, safety, or value of the vehicle. I call BS on the value for sure. Following this I purchased the TRD pro black wheels crossing my fingers that it would help. When I purchased the vehicle my plan was to buy those so I thought I might as well try it. They were better for a brief period, but the shake came back. I went to a different Toyota dealer for the purchase and install of the TRD pros. I brought the 4runner back to them and they moved my tires to another 4runner on the lot and put that runners tires on mine. Both shook. They then contacted their regional field tech(different region from the previous tech). He came out and said he did a road force balance and found one bad tire. He bought a new Michelin and installed it and said the problem is fixed. The wheel shake came back the next day. I currently have a lawyer and am persuing litigation against Toyota. I also follow a forum on CarGurus.com and it has many other owners having this same issue. The link is below for anyone interested. The most recent one is from a finance manager at a toyota dealer in Michigan. He is have the same run around and said to stay away from the 4 runner until they figure it out. I've literally had 16 different rims and 19 new tires on my vehicle in just over a year of ownership. The dealers are trying to help, but Toyota is denying any problems with their vehicle.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t60099_ds754672?sntEmlId=1866168786#msg834185

rsimi72 likes this.
  4. Jun 9, 2018 at 10:57 AM
    4X4Runner

4X4Runner Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    The east coast
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner Smashed Ass Edition
    Mad driver mod. OME Suspension. 285/70R17 BFG AT KO2
    I think this is more of a low number of issues per 4Runners on the road. I’m on my second 4Runner without the issue and I have two friends with 4R’s without the issue as well.

5. Jun 11, 2018 at 2:55 PM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    so you had NO problems until the dealership rotated the tires @5K miles correct ?

6. Jun 11, 2018 at 3:18 PM
    f631

f631 New Member

Member:
    I had no vibrations until the 5k rotation

7. Jun 11, 2018 at 4:57 PM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:

possible they damaged the rotor or wheel when they rotated the tires..

I have seen idiots torque the wheel lugs down improperly when they torque them down .. they snap the drive train with the wheels off the ground.. they do not torque wheels sitting on the ground this can damage the drive train bearings or other related parts like the U joints..

I would go to the dealership and ask them how the torque the lugs down ... vehicle on ground or up off the ground ///,,,,,
    do not reveal your vehicle issue before asking ..

8. Jul 6, 2018 at 3:45 AM
    Crank

Crank New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 4WD
    Steering wheel vibration/shake. This is the flange plate and pins, use with Road Force on these Toyotas, as Toyota also has a TSB out on this, not current.
    Get a good tire store to do road force, then one that will up the game with the 6 pin flange plates. I have owned 4 new 4Runners since 2008, all had the same issues, except the '08, almost perfect. Latest one, just took delivery a week ago, 2018 SR5-4WD. First up, new Michelin LTX/MS tires, and used these on all previous. First with Defenders, all other years, MS2. Great tire. IMO, R&P; out of balance rims, etc, does not get it. The tire guy has to know indexing, and Michelin should have the red and yellow dots on each tire. You can research indexing wheels. Discuss 'lug centric-cone centric'

Crank

Trac-2.jpg

Flange Plate-1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  9. Jul 8, 2018 at 6:11 AM
    Crank

Crank New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 4WD
    The Haweka adapter firmly locks the wheel onto the balance machine in its true center. It holds wheel very solid and prevents movement. Toyota realized they had a problem with balancing these wheels and issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB SU002-96) requiring the Haweka adapter when balancing these wheels. The problem is that it seems that few Toyota dealers know about the TSB let alone have the adapter.

While on one of my many, many visits to the dealer to get the vibration fixed, I saw one of my tires on their balance machine. I walked over to it and grabbed the tire and shook it. It wobbled all over the place. I asked they guy how he thinks he can balance the tire with it moving around so much, “all the truck wheels do that.” That my friends, is the very center of the problem. If they cannot get the wheel to hold still on the shaft there is no way they can ever properly balance it. The Haweka adapter does two very basic things. First it mounts the wheel to the balance machine the same way it is mounted to your truck, and second it locks it to the shaft of the balance machine and prevents movement so you get a consistent and proper balance.

Products Discussed in

To Top