1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering Rack Issue Help!

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by limp mode, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Aug 31, 2015 at 5:09 PM
    limp mode

limp mode [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Vehicle:
    2000 4runner
    Hey all!
    Im new to this forum so hey! I just got my runner and I'm having issues with the steering rack. Ive attached pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. after the lift and bigger tires ect i got an alignment and it went out of immediately. Long story short I've been chasing down the issue and after countless alignments i figured it out. It looks like the steering rack is almost pulling apart. While driving my steering wheel is off about one inch and the car pulls HARD to the right. Ive replaced my LBJ, new bushings, 3" toyotec suspension and new tires. Is this a common issue and if so can it be fixed easily, or do i need a whole new steering rack??? Ive been searching and i can't find this issue. Help :annoyed::bananadead:

2. Sep 1, 2015 at 11:09 AM
    UssMoGn

UssMoGn That Vegas Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    1996 TaCoRunner
    Extented Coil Lift. Custom bumpers
    I just did mine. I dont know anything about this problem but your probably up there miles. id just replace the rack and pinion. It makes a world of differance.

3. Sep 7, 2015 at 9:27 PM
    RussToy

RussToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russel Lee
    Granville Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    A Work in Progress
    I have about 20,000 mile on my lift. Once installed I got an alinement and haven't had any issues since. Now I'm not an expert...but far from being a Rookie also...but, I've never read/heard of anyone else have this problem.

Don't know how many miles you have on your Runner, but I'd probably take UssMoGn's advised and just replace your rack. Lot cheaper than weekly $75 alinements and new tires.

- Russel

Products Discussed in

To Top