1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starter replacement, rear shocks replacement on 3rd gen 4runner

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by tbird, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Oct 18, 2015 at 6:42 PM
    tbird

tbird [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    1999 4runner limited
    Tundra front brakes 17 inch wheels and after market radio
    Hello folks been using your site for a while and thought I would contribute.

Starter replacement made easy:
    1. Remove Battery ground
    2. Take the sway bar links loose at the A-frame. Need metric allen and correct wrench for nut.
    3. Pry the links out of the control arm and push sway bar ends up. This will give you clearance for the starter to come out and go back. Mine came out but the new one was a little bigger and needed this extra clearance.
    4. Remove the wires and 2 bolts. Starter should come out and back with no problems.
    P.S. I forgot you have to take the skid plate off first. Sorry about that!
    Rear shocks replacement:
    The nut at the top is always rusted and is going to break off.
    1. Jack and block the side you are working. Be sure to jack up the frame not the axle unless you have super human strength and can compress the shock with your hands.
    2. Use a ratchet strap to hold rear axle housing on the side you're working on. Just hook it to the frame and take the downward weight off the shock.
    3. Loosen the bottom shock nut but leave the shock on the stud.
    4. Find the best fitting hex socket and attach it to the top shock nut. Use a breaker bar on the socket and wedge it on the frame or under carriage.
    5. Hears the time saver. Get a pipe wrench and put it on the shock shaft. You can get a lot more leverage and break the top shaft off at the nut. You may have to cut or rip off part of the pretective shock sleeve to get the pipe on the shaft but believe me its the easiest way. Now remove the bottom nut and pry the shock off the stud.
    P.S. It's a must to remove the spare tire!!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    Bob likes this.
  2. Dec 15, 2017 at 7:59 AM
    kf4aqo

kf4aqo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    near Athens, GA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner, 1986 FJ 60
    Is this for 2wd or 4wd? Thanks

3. Dec 22, 2017 at 8:32 PM
    ToddsRunner

ToddsRunner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    96 4runner
    Rough Country's New 3-inch N2.0 Suspension Lift for '96-'02 models, KYB MonoMax front struts K&N air filter, braided front brake lines,Kenwood touch screen dvd player,10" sound stream subs . Rockfordfosgate mono amp. Cooper discover A/T Tires,17" Pro comp polished Aluminum rims
    I took off passenger front tire and removed little rubber fender protector. and unbolted brake line bracket on inner and outer frame and wiggled out of way and took starter out threw there was tight but wiggled it out. and worked for me ... Rear shocks on mine were so rusted had to cut off with grinder real pain poor design.

4. Dec 23, 2017 at 12:39 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R TRD Offroad
    2018 T4R Offroad SAS 1995 Tacoma
    That damn rear shock bolt is the worst. Pipe wrench on the shock is the only way to go.

Products Discussed in

To Top