1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spring Compressor - Need Recommendation

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by BobbyB, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Jun 25, 2021 at 6:49 AM
    T4R13

T4R13 New Member

Member:
    Clarksburg wv
    Vehicle:
    19 sr5p
    No compressor needed for front. Set frame on jack stands take wheels off. Floor jack under ball joint on lca. Pump up and remove strut top nut. Watch nut as u start to back it off to make sure ur floor jack is pumped up enough. Then slowly release floor jack and it will all come apart easily. And I used a ratchet strap on the back coils. Once you have don’t it a few times it’s the quickest easiest way. Just be careful

2. Jun 25, 2021 at 7:52 AM
    08TXRunner

08TXRunner New Member

Member:
    Be careful. You're going to set off the crazy dude in this thread again lol.

3. Jun 25, 2021 at 7:57 AM
    jetmechG550

jetmechG550 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2021 Off Road Premium
    Hmmm, who's the crazy know it all? That's right...it's you you fucking pigeon

4. Jun 25, 2021 at 9:07 AM
    T4R13

T4R13 New Member

Member:
    Clarksburg wv
    Vehicle:
    19 sr5p
    Ahh it’s ok everyone’s comfort and skill level are completely different regardless of how much documented experience you have

5. Jun 25, 2021 at 9:25 AM
    36tacundra

36tacundra New Member

Member:
    Every man, or every person does any job just a bit different. That is ok, that is how I learn. I watch how people do jobs or trial and error.

I do not remember what I was working on, but I do remember my dad telling me to do it "this way." I was struggling at the time. I was irritated. I looked up and finally told him that I was going to do it all the other ways fist before I would try the way he recommended. They didn't work. I ended up doing it the way he mentioned. It worked and that pissed me off more, LOL! Since then, I will always consider others methods and input even if I do not follow it.

I do enjoy fixing and getting the job done. Places like these bring more like minded people together. This is good. On the other hand I do also enjoy the back and forth of people who don't see eye to eye.

I still use hand tools. I do most jobs on my own. I never liked the rickety look of a spring compressor and when I first tried it with the strut in the vehicle, It was so easy, I do not see any need to buy, rent or borrow a spring compressor.

...but if I was at your house and you wanted to try one I would definitely stay and play.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  6. Jun 25, 2021 at 9:58 AM
    Sandbuster

Sandbuster Breaking Wind

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Power Commander, LED lights upgrade, Eibach Pro Truck Series suspension upgrade (front & rear), Airbags (rear), dash integrated trailer brake control, Body Armor front bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch
    Found this on sale at harbor Freight for $22 - it worked fine. Just use a little caution..

jetmechG550 and A&P like this.
  7. Jun 26, 2021 at 11:56 AM
    Doglover2003

Doglover2003 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '18 ORP w/KDSS
    What I used for my King suspension coil springs. Going from 650 to 700 springs was a lot easier and safer! You get what you paid for

Screenshot_20210626-115534_Amazon Shopping.jpg

A&P and Daytonaviolet like this.
  8. Jun 26, 2021 at 12:36 PM
    lrizzo

lrizzo New Member

Member:
    Northern New Jersey
    I bought this one a few years ago. Why mess around? If you buy this you can pretty much compress any spring from any vehicle, safely. I saw my dad almost lose his head when I was a kid working in his shop. A spring popped out of those cheap shit compressors you all are talking about. The spring literally struck the ceiling of the shop and tore through it.

https://www.amazon.com/Myers-Tire-S...sprefix=brannick+spring+compre,aps,168&sr=8-7

9. Jun 26, 2021 at 1:28 PM
    Deuxdiesel

Deuxdiesel New Member

Member:
    SE MI
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5P
    A high quality spring compressor is an awesome tool, but a simple floor jack/trolley jack can be used for a multitude of tasks. The "no spring compressor" method has no real downsides to it.

A&P likes this.
  10. Jun 26, 2021 at 1:54 PM
    08TXRunner

08TXRunner New Member

Member:
    Agreed. It's not that the parts store compressors don't work - my point all along is what happens if there is a failure. If the hooks or threads fail on a compressor you're in for a whole bunch of trouble. And who knows how a rental spring compressor has been treated? There's no downside to the jack method, and there's no way anybody/anything can get injured or harmed if the jack suddenly fails. The control arm would just get driven downward and the spring is still captured by the upper/lower strut mounts. That's the only point I wanted to make.

11. Jun 26, 2021 at 1:58 PM
    lrizzo

lrizzo New Member

Member:
    Northern New Jersey
    Totally disagree. That method is a total back breaker. I'd be done with both sides with the spring compressor while you setup and fiddle with a floor jack on the first side.

jetmechG550 likes this.
  12. Jun 26, 2021 at 2:37 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    Looks similar to the ones I used for my kings also

Shankly Spring Compressor Tool (2 Pieces) - Heavy Duty Build, Ultra Rugged Coil Spring Compressor, Strong and Durable Spring Compressor with Safety Guard and Carrying Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DQJG24/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_GM4GAQMBXVWVKX1FS68K?_encoding=UTF8

Doglover2003[QUOTED] and A&P like this.
To Top