1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Specific Tacoma to T4R Fox suspension questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jtweezy19, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Oct 15, 2019 at 7:22 PM
    jtweezy19

jtweezy19 [OP] New Member

Member:
    TL;DR:
    1. What size rear shock, lower bushing do I need for a 5th gen T4R?
    2. If my rear shock has a longer compressed length than a T4R shock, do I just need a spacer on my bump stop to move it down and prevent bottoming the shock out?

I have a full set of Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoir + DSC coilovers and shocks from my 2014 Tacoma. Before I hand it over to the dealership in trade for a 2020 T4R ORP...I'm taking the suspension off and would like to swap it onto the 4Runner. The coilovers and shocks are all 0-3" lift, extended travel...and the rear shocks are actually Tundra shocks. I'm fairly mechanically inclined...I managed to install the entire suspension setup on my Taco solo in a day, but I'm new to the separate coil/shock setup of the T4R rear suspension.

Front - I'm 99% sure this is plug and play. Since they are extended travel and can provide up to 3" of lift, I'm also taking my Total Chaos UCAs :p

Rear - I'm 90% sure that the rear shock, lower bushing is 3/4" ID (inner diameter)...is that correct? Also, looking at the design of the lower mount (on the axle), it doesn't look like I need a metal sleeve in the bushing...that there's a sort of "sleeve" attached to the axle as part of how the shock mounts. Is that correct?

Since the rears are for a Tundra, the compressed length is .1" longer than a shock that Fox has listed for the T4R. If I understand correctly...in an extreme case, if I bottomed out the rear, the shock could bottom out before I hit the bumpstops...there would be a .1" gap between bumpstop and plate. So can I put a small spacer in to move my bumpstop down, or just get a longer/taller bumpstop altogether to solve this problem?

Any help/guidance/advice/knowledge is appreciated. Cheers!

Products Discussed in

To Top