1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spare key for 5th Gen

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by ATXRunner, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Jul 14, 2017 at 10:42 AM
    ATXRunner

ATXRunner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver TRD
    I'm looking for a spare that I can carry with me on my runs. I don't like carrying the remote key (a) because it's bulky and (b) because I sweat like a prostitute in church when I run. I only need something that will unlock the doors. Anybody have any experience getting a key cut that will do just that, or am I going to have pony up and drop the cash on a full-bore replacement key?

2. Jul 14, 2017 at 10:45 AM
    FerTheDiddly

FerTheDiddly New Member

Member:
    The Freezing North
    Vehicle:
    2016 T4R TRDP
    Another option is find a magnetic box that has a lock and carry that key? Just stick it to your frame under your car.

3. Jul 14, 2017 at 11:19 AM
    ATXRunner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver TRD
    Not a big fan of the magnets. Hoodlums pretty much know all the good hiding spots, and I'd have to advertise to the world that I'm keeping one under there when I crawled to get the key.

4. Jul 14, 2017 at 11:20 AM
    FerTheDiddly

FerTheDiddly New Member

Member:
    The Freezing North
    Vehicle:
    2016 T4R TRDP
    Fair points. Didn't think about it that way.

5. Jul 14, 2017 at 1:27 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    I don't have experience doing this with a 4Runner specifically, but I have had keys cut for other cars with FOBs and they work just fine at opening the doors.

6. Jul 14, 2017 at 3:03 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    Yeah it'll work fine. It's a fairly standard blank.

7. Jul 15, 2017 at 7:05 PM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    As said above, standard blank no frills, no rubbery/plastic junk on it.

Steve

8. Jul 16, 2017 at 12:43 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    One option if you don't want to use a magnet - and granted, this is more for an emergency spare key than a key you would use regularly - is to cut a blank, drill a hole in the head, and place it under the frame or bumper cover using an existing hole, a bolt, a standard nut, and wing nut. This is more secure than a magnet, more stealthy, and the key can still be removed with no tools by spinning the wing nut.

44357 and RainGoat like this.
  9. Jul 16, 2017 at 5:55 AM
    flieger45

flieger45 HH Hawk Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Vehicle:
    2017 White TRD Off Road
    LED's throughout, interior and exterior.
    How about one of these? I don't have any experience with it but it looks good. 550c5e785fe5e4d2fd36ff8c0c0cc11f_1a2f8fc23d2ab5b7eb864eb810d4ec80a27d4314.jpg

10. Jul 16, 2017 at 2:37 PM
    JBTRD

JBTRD As usual, saying something stupid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 (The Real) Trail Edition
    Mine came with 3 keys. Two normal keys that have the remote. And i did get one that was a normal key with nothing on it. You have to manually lock/unlock. And starts the truck.
    So maybe Toyota offers one precut already.

11. Jul 17, 2017 at 5:59 AM
    ATXRunner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver TRD
    I was liking this idea a lot until I saw flieger45's post.

Picked up the 4Runner off a used lot. It came with the remote key plus only one other key that I want to keep at the office as an emergency spare. I was under the impression that both keys had a chip that was necessary for the engine to crank, and I thought that chip might be needed for door locks too. But I'm going to try getting just a plain jane blank cut and see how that works.

12. Jul 17, 2017 at 6:02 AM
    ATXRunner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver TRD
    This is a slick idea. Not cheap at $45 (Wally World). But slick nonetheless. Here's what the interwebs say about it:

Secure keys, cards and valuables during outdoor activities that are a hassle or can become lost. It features all-metal construction and vault is self-secured inside the receiver. It easily allows you to set and change your own combination any time with 10,000 codes possible. It includes a heavy-duty rubber dust cover that conceals and protects. It is compatible with Toyota Tacoma 2005-current, and Tundra 2007-current require longer bolts.
    HitchSafe HS700 Key Vault:

Converts Receiver into Concealed Vault!

• The durable, all-metal HitchSafe converts receiver into a vault. Hitch pins are secured inside receiver via 2 sliding bars that can only be accessed with a 10,000 possible combinations drawer. HitchSafe secures keys, license, cash and credit cards. Great for active lifestyles where these can be stored during outdoor sports with no need to hassle with carrying or losing keys/cards. Combinated drawer is concealed/protected with an attractive dust cover.
    Great for outdoor activities where keys are a hassle or can become lost

• HitchSafe can store spare keys that will always be there when needed most. It can also be utilized for sharing access with friends/family or special situations such as outdoor sports where carrying keys can be problematic and credit cards/cash left inside vehicle would otherwise run risk of being stolen.
    Secure, concealed key storage that will not fall off like magnetic key holders

• Far superior solution to magnetic key holders that eventually fall off (they are never there when you need them!). If your magnetic key holder has not joined millions of them lying on roadside, you then have an open invitation for someone to steal your car because everyone knows where they are hidden! HitchSafe is contained within solid steel structure of hitch receiver via a combination where only you can access keys when needed.
    How to Use:
    • Pop off dust cover
    • Enter in 4-digit code
    • Release lever
    • Spring-loaded drawer comes forward
    • Show friends your cool, new key safe
    Inside the Box:
    • Vault that slides into receiver
    • 10,000 combination drawer
    • Dust cover
    • 2 Nickel Cadmium Bolts (interlock with sliding bars inside vault
    • 2 foam O-rings to seal bolts
    • 4 foam flange seals/spacers

Most important feature:

"Show friends your cool, new key safe"

13. Jul 23, 2017 at 12:18 PM
    RainGoat

RainGoat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    Vehicle:
    2014 T4R TEP
    I've had a Hitch Safe since the beginning of their 2nd Gen (I think about 5-8yrs ago). I use it on the Family MDX where we only use the hitch for a bike rack occasionally in the summer. I've kept a valet key, credit card, cash & copy of my ID their for years. Never gets wet (& we live in the PacNW & park outside). Nobody has ever removed the cover that I can tell. It doesn't look like anything at all to the casual observer. I have been very happy with ours as we take that car on multiple multi day vacations to remote parts of the NW. I don't use it on my rig as I have a shackle in the receiver of that vehicle.

14. Aug 2, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    billnourse

billnourse New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Bloomfield, NM
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    Toytec Ultimate lift, SSO Slimline bumper and 10,000# winch, emblem blackout, hood scoop wrap.
    If you are going to have a key cut for the door, do not use it in the ignition until you insure that it will not lock your system. On my Rubicon, if you used a key without the programed fob in the ignition it would lock everything up. Don't know if it is the same with the 4 Runner or not.

I had a hid-a-key cut for the Rubicon, but made sure I didn't use it in the ignition, and if I used it to unlock the door it caused the alarm to go off.

Bill

15. Aug 2, 2017 at 1:48 PM
    RainGoat

RainGoat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    Vehicle:
    2014 T4R TEP
    That's correct on my '02 Path & '09 MDX. I keep a cut key hidden in the under frame & then you can get in if you've locked your keys in or you could hide the 2nd full fx key inside the rig. You can go to Accessories with the cut key in my other vehicles. It only immobilizes it if you try to start the engine (in theory-I haven't tested it).

16. Aug 10, 2017 at 3:56 AM
    Ex-MA Hole

Ex-MA Hole New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner SR5
    I have one of the hitch safes that I used on my Tacoma. I like it. Sticks out a bit far on the 4Runner. I wrapped a key in a pepper towel then put it in a sandwich baggie. It didn't rust, but it was only in there for about a year and a half. The only suggestion I have is to open it every month or so and get the dust out. I had trouble opening it once as it was left unused and a small pebble was lodged in there and I needed pliers to get it out. M

17. Aug 12, 2017 at 8:22 PM
    RainGoat

RainGoat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    Vehicle:
    2014 T4R TEP
    Just for clarity. My credit card, cash, key & photocopy of my license have just sat in the hitch safe (no baggie) for 80,000+ miles & ~6 years in the Pacific Northwest with nothing ever getting inside. With the end dust cap/cover & the foam o-rings on the bolts, nothing has ever gotten in there.

18. Aug 13, 2017 at 5:16 AM
    Ex-MA Hole

Ex-MA Hole New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner SR5
    I've never seen any condensation in my setup. I tend to go for overkill so my setup seems to be just that - overkill.

RainGoat likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top