1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spacer setup suggestions?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by LaGenesis, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Sep 25, 2017 at 11:27 PM
    LaGenesis

LaGenesis [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TEP 4Runner
    New Wheels Fuel Vapor, plan to upgrade suspension, add tint and look for guidance through these forums!
    Heyo everyone...

I'm a college student in AZ. I'm looking for more clearance and bigger tires.. from my research (and my budget) it seems like 3" spacers in the front and 1.5" spacers in the rear are the way to go. That way I don't void my warranty and since I am new to wheeling and probably won't go out every weekend it'll still be a nice ride on the highway.

Thoughts?

Suggestions for what spacers to get?

Better ideas?

Much appreciated.

2. Sep 26, 2017 at 9:48 AM
    brochacho

brochacho New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sequoia TRD Sport
    Don't get spacers if you are going to be using the rig off road on a regular basis.

Other ideas...here you go...

1.Spacers- Not recommend but many folks report they work just fine. They are cheap, but if used off road extensively can cause damage, ride quality will suffer as well.

2. Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustable shocks. You can set the front shocks to gain .85, 1.75, or 2.5 inches of lift using stock coils. At 1.75" lift in front you will be sitting just about level at the fenders, but will have slight reverse rake at the body. If you go to 2.5" you will need to either get lift springs for the rear or spacers. This set up will run you around $400-600. The higher you go the stiffer the ride will be due to preloading the factory coils.

3. Also utilizing 5100 shocks you can get some taller front coil springs to gain lift. Toytec, Wheelers, Old Man Emu make 1.6"-3" lift coils. This will add about $170-$200 to first option. This will make for a better ride due to your are not preloading your factory coil springs.

4. Ride height adjustable coilovers. Many different brands to choose from (Icon, Toytec, Fox, King..) but they are all going to run from about $1000-$5000 just for the front. These are a nice option because you can change the ride height while they are installed on the vehicle from 0-3" without removing the entire coilover assembly. This option will also give you the best ride and off road performance. Only drawback to this option is that most of these will need to be rebuilt/serviced every 30k miles or so.

You will also need to take into account that when you do a lift you may need to add some after market upper control arms (UCA's) in order to keep you factory alignment in spec. In general most people can stay within factory specs with stock UCA's as long as you keep the lift under 2.5", but ever vehicle is different and even a 1" lift may require them. They run from $450-$1500 a pair.

LaGenesis[OP] and Bob like this.
  3. Sep 26, 2017 at 2:34 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    3" front will put you nose high. 2.5" front / 1.5" rear will be almost dead level, slightly raked forward.

If you are wanting spacers then my suggestion is Toytec's setup that comes with 2.5 front, 1.5 rear; get the front ones in anodized black so they don't look obvious. Around $240, plus install, plus alignment after. I've used it, it's a good kit, and if spacers are what you want then it's the way to go.

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com...it-for-FJ-4Runner-Works-with-XREAS_p_162.html

Kritsana21 and brochacho like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top