1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Something looks odd - Signs of collision repair?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Evensteven, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Jan 28, 2017 at 12:35 AM
    Evensteven

Evensteven [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guess
    Vehicle:
    2008 T4R Sport Edition V8 4WD. Galactic Gray
    Bone stock
    Hi

Just took possession of 4Runner I've been chasing a while. Low mile, late year sport V8 4WD.

As I look the car over some things look off. Beside the bug shield -that's gotta go- the wheel wells are not uniform and there is a plastic panel on one side of car that's not on other. I'm not sure what it is but it's bugging me. I figure I could take it to Carmax those guys are experts and have them do a estimate or a Toyota dealer but I thought I'd ask somebody here Car drives s little mushy too. Do 4WD DRIVE a little softer than AWD 2X?

Thanks. Hoping I did not get hosed. Bought car from dlr out of state who seems very above board. It's hard to explain but it's almost like undercarriage is to clean for 9 yr old car.

IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg

2. Jan 28, 2017 at 5:19 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Often used car dealers will paint the underside of the car black to help cover the years of dirt. Wheel wells, frame etc...

3. Jan 29, 2017 at 6:14 AM
    JerryM

JerryM New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jerry
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail (KDSS)
    Pending
    I agree that used car dealer want to clean the underside to make it present better for one but what side is that plastic piece? If it is the drivers rear then it is most likely just a cover they put on to protect the gas lines from the fill point. My 16 has a plastic shield that looks just like that when i clean it up really good after off roading. Look from the bottom of the rear and look up and you will most likely see the gas tank filler lines running behind it. Good luck

4. Jan 29, 2017 at 7:00 AM
    Evensteven

Evensteven [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guess
    Vehicle:
    2008 T4R Sport Edition V8 4WD. Galactic Gray
    Bone stock
    Hi Jerry

First off thanks for taking the time to read and reply. I did some investigating and came to same conclusion.

Buying a used vehicle is risky enough when you can see it in person. Buying from out of state at high blue book is another level. I would not do it agsin but I was so hell bent on finding a clean late model 4th gen Sport 4WD V8 in Gray sub 100k that I bought the only one I could find.

At the end of the day I got exactly what I wanted as my research proved I couldn't find any in the United States under 100 K for sale. Not one.

Thanks. Happy driving.

Steve

5. Jan 29, 2017 at 10:41 AM
    Grifter

Grifter New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Off Road
    Icon Stage6 - Method Wheels - KO2's
    take it to carmax to get an appraisal, like you said. It takes maybe 15 minutes and they will run the VIN and find out if its been in any REPORTED accidents. Thats the most surefire way if you are really worried about it and its free.

Products Discussed in

To Top