1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So I drove a Chevy Tahoe the other daaay...

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Tama1968, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Mar 16, 2020 at 5:30 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    ...and am convinced I made the right move shelling out some $$ on a 4Runner. Flew into Atlanta and rented an SUV, wound up with a Tahoe (not sure what year, probably 19 or 20 (?). My kids thought all the tech-WiFi, multiple USB ports and enviro controls- were better than the T4R. As the driver though, I did not like it at all. The 4Runner isn't exactly built for highway use, I will admit, but the Tahoe was a real pain. Getting around Atlanta (my least favorite city ever to drive in), I felt like I was fighting it a lot more to control. Did a little around town driving, and had problems cornering without grabbing curbs-admittedly could be a combination of unfamiliar roads/unfamiliar vehicle but I am just not a fan. And, in my opinion, the newer 'hoes and Suburbans look like hearses.

celaw309 and Oldtoyotaguy like this.
  2. Mar 17, 2020 at 4:27 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Haha, I hate Atlanta, too!

I agree that there are better cars for high speed travel. But, the 4runner is pretty good up to 90-ish. At 100, I feel a little less confident. Not that I've ever driven it that fast.:spy:

Singleminded and Tama1968[OP] like this.
  3. Mar 17, 2020 at 8:38 PM
    celaw309

celaw309 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM TRD ORP
    I borrowed my buddy's 2019 Tahoe right before I got my 4Runner and was not impressed. He hates it too and is on the fence about getting a 4Runner...the only thing is he likes the size of the Tahoe and the 3rd row which the 4Runner can't compete with...

Tama1968[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Mar 18, 2020 at 3:18 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Tell him to get a Sequoia!

5. Mar 18, 2020 at 4:26 AM
    SCMountaineer

SCMountaineer New Member

Member:
    Upstate South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    On my third 5th gen — 2021 SR5 premium 4wd
    Gunmetal TRD wheels, Yakima rack, Canvasback covers
    Just before I got my first 4Runner (in 2018), I had a Tahoe rental while the BMW that came before was having one of it's frequent visits to the shop. I was impressed with the overall interior fit and finish and the volume of the thing, but I found it extraordinarily uncomfortable for anything more than a half hour trip and utterly boring to drive. The new ones look cool though.

6. Mar 18, 2020 at 7:20 AM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    I was a Chevy guy for years (if you read a lot of my posts, this is a theme...) Kept a Blazer going for just over 15 years and still have a 2006 Trailblazer that I gave to my son as an incentive to work hard and one day buy a real vehicle. Now, both Chevy products were great the first 3-4 years , and you can keep anything running forever if you keep throwing money at it, but all the while, my wife has been driving Toyota products and I finally realized that I was spending literally 10x the money fixing the Chevy's vice the 'yotas even when they got older. I do think there would be a market for a version of the 4Runner with the Tahoe's tech suite, especially since at least half the market use them as grocery getters and vacation machines. Even if they don't upgrade, I still love mine.

7385 likes this.
  7. Mar 18, 2020 at 8:08 AM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Pro + 2018 Platinum Tundra
    My work vehicle is a 2017 Tahoe that I’ve put around 60k miles on.

The good:
    - Very comfortable cruiser for long trips. Tons of room. Very quiet. 5.3L gets about 18.3mpg combined, and that’s with 33” BFG KO2’s. Interior is basic, but laid out well and has held up well.

The bad:
    - Dropped a lifter due to AFM failure at about 50k miles, and took out top half of the motor. Has had intermittent transmission issues throughout its life.

8. Mar 18, 2020 at 9:07 PM
    celaw309

celaw309 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM TRD ORP
    I told him the same thing haha!

7385 and Thatbassguy[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Mar 19, 2020 at 4:18 AM
    DGP1961

DGP1961 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    Hmmm not sure about the 4R highway comments mine actually gets down the road like a big boat relatively comfy in my opinion and personally I can comfortably sit in it for hours. Yeah it doesn't handle like a Porsche I get that but highway comfort I give mine a 10. I'm not crazy about the primitive finish and trim level of the 4R but then again I didn't buy the Limited either. I like it overall but it definitely is my first and last one.

10. Mar 19, 2020 at 7:34 AM
    4x Old Guy

4x Old Guy New Member

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver TRD Off-road Premium
    Big-O Bigfoot A/T tires
    My 2019 ORP with KDSS corners better than my 2003 Tacoma 4x4 even though the ORP weighs about 1300 lbs more than the Tacoma (have a few miles of “twisties” going back and forth from home). It also rides smoother going straight than my wife’s Cadillac SRX. In my opinion it’s safer driving my ORP than all the “new-fangled tech mobiles” because the controls are simpler and cause fewer distractions (how much focus is spent away from driving while tinkering with the Infotainment or climate control).

Products Discussed in

To Top