1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Smoking Driver's door window switch

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Fiiisherman, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Mar 18, 2018 at 6:58 AM
    Fiiisherman

Fiiisherman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner
    Stock
    Hello
    My son's 99 4Runner Limited has been a real work horse. It recently clocked over 500K miles, and routine maintenance (other than a new axle in the rear end) was all that was required to get it there.
    Yesterday he was doing service to the engine front oil seals...general R&R, and had just finished and was in the restroom washing his hands when he noticed that the cab of the truck was full of smoke.
    Apparently there was some sort of short circuit in the driver's door master window switch.
    The short had burned open before he noticed it, but now he's stuck with a driver's door window that is down with no way to roll it up.

My son is a experienced Toyota mechanic, and has worked at a Toyota dealer in the past as a mechanic, along with working in several other shops on foreign cars.
    He doesn't (and neither do I) believe that any of the work under the hood could have caused this problem.
    He had the battery cable disconnected during the work, and the problem occured after he re-attached the cable and then went to wash his hands.
    He plans today to pull the door panel and investigate, and to also try to get the window rolled up.

Any ideas?
    Anyone have a schematic of the window controls on a 98-2001 4Runner?

Any response is appreciated.

Products Discussed in

To Top