1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Smittybilt XRC side armor

Discussion in 'Armor' started by Starr, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Jul 2, 2020 at 5:37 PM
    Starr

Starr [OP] Life Off the Road, off the Grid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    SouthEast Maui
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 3rd Gen 2017 quicksand TRD OR, T4R 5th Gen TRD ORP silver , Tundra 2000 TRD OR silver, Deere 5300 4wd, Wrangler 1994 ARB air lockers, 1998 BMW R100RTL.
    KDSS, Baja Sport amber fogs, PRO Black wheels, BFG KO2's
    Has anyone installed or had experience with the new Smittybilt SRC Side Armor?
    They look like reasonably affordable side protection for my 2020 T4R that I can get shipped to Hawaii without big shipping costs. My budget won't cover true sliders.

7385 likes this.
  2. Jul 3, 2020 at 4:16 PM
    Starr

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    SouthEast Maui
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 3rd Gen 2017 quicksand TRD OR, T4R 5th Gen TRD ORP silver , Tundra 2000 TRD OR silver, Deere 5300 4wd, Wrangler 1994 ARB air lockers, 1998 BMW R100RTL.
    That sounds like a good vision to weld a set up locally, and we could even do it in house. but we have so many projects stacked up that it would be years before getting to it. The John Deere Tractor & farm work has the priority.
    I just want something better than the plastic OEM TRD OR ones that I hate and which flex & bounce as steps.
    The Smittybilt ones look ok with two 2”x.120 welded tubes and powder coat so it’ll be a while before they rust. I’ve had their tube bumpers in the past.
    This is mostly my wife’s runner, and we have other wheels for the rough stuff. I have so-so N fabs on my Taco, and the real mccoy on the Wrangler.
    Still, there are often big chunks of sharp lava rock and old rock walls hidden in tall grass around, and I’ve learned how costly it gets with a new nice vehicle here with bare rocker panels finding that stuff.
    I’m hoping someone who has run or at least seen these things would chime in.

3. Jul 3, 2020 at 5:10 PM
    Antman

Antman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner off-road premium, 2022 Tacoma
    2021 4Runner: King Coilovers King rear shocks Camburg UCA’s Spc rear Trail arms Icon 52700 rear springs Icon panhard bar SCS Ray10’s Rci Sliders Rci Full Skids 2022 Tacoma Offroad: King Coilovers King rear shocks Deaver leaf springs Camburg UCA Scs Gen 5 Bamf front hybrid bumper Rci Full Skids Rci Sliders

Buddy of mine had those on his Jeep. Completely destroyed them and offered no real protection. I suggest saving up a little bit more and getting true sliders. Maybe BAMF since their in California. Might be cheaper than others to ship since their closer to you.

7385 likes this.
  4. Jul 7, 2020 at 1:38 PM
    Starr

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    SouthEast Maui
    Vehicle:
    It’s looking like the Caliraised are the best deal for mid range sliders. will probably go that route although KDSS makes the install somewhat more difficult.

5. Jul 7, 2020 at 2:48 PM
    gunsnob

gunsnob New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD ORP
    Kings Shocks, SPC UCA’s, Method MR702 rims, Toyo AT III’s in 285/70/17, Gobi Roof Rack, various Baja Designs lights.
    Ordered some in March before the pandemic... still haven't received them... I know they are sick of hearing from me... I am sick of hearing from me... Maybe after the pandemic is over I will get them... :annoyed:

6. Jul 7, 2020 at 4:30 PM
    Starr

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    SouthEast Maui
    Vehicle:
    Is that Caliraised? Sorry to hear that. Hope they move your way soon.

To Top