1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I purchase a 4Runner?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Yellowstone, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Nov 1, 2020 at 6:52 PM
    Yellowstone

Yellowstone [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello!
    I am new on here and I’m trying to decide if I should buy a new 4Runner. My hesitation comes from buying a 2016 Tacoma. It was bar none the worst vehicle I’ve ever owned. Had non stop problems and sold it after only one year. I vowed to never buy a Toyota again. Well, I’m thinking about buying one again. I’ve read a ton of reviews about the 4Runners and they seem to be great vehicles. I just need some reassurance from actual owners that I’m not going to be disappointed in Toyota for a second time. Any insight would be really appreciated!

2. Nov 1, 2020 at 7:10 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome to the forum, I’m not going to try and sell you on Toyota 4-Runners. They pretty much stand on their own merit, do some more research, and take your time.

TRDPro916, Red_5, DRobs and 4 others like this.
  3. Nov 1, 2020 at 7:12 PM
    06_dark_knight

06_dark_knight New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Vehicle:
    06 sr5 in black
    Lights all around. IVD front standard travel
    I can’t say much about the new 4runners but I have an 06 with 176k miles and I love mine! It’s a well balanced vehicle, low maintenance, tons of accessories and in my experience they last. Good luck with your purchase and I say do it

7385 and Thatbassguy like this.
  4. Nov 1, 2020 at 7:12 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    What issues did you have with the Tacoma?

I mean, the data is out there. Toyota is hands down one of the highest quality vehicles you can get.

importman, 7385 and Thatbassguy like this.
  5. Nov 1, 2020 at 7:14 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    Welcome to the forum,
    What @SlvrSlug said. Also, we love ours. Please remember that this is a 4runner site so not many people are unhappy!
    Being honest,
    Ryan.

DRobs, SlvrSlug and Thatbassguy like this.
  6. Nov 1, 2020 at 7:14 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    4runners are well known for being basically bulletproof. Test drive one and buy it if you like it. The biggest issue I can think if is the front differential needle bearing, which there are solutions for.

nimby and 7385 like this.
  7. Nov 1, 2020 at 7:48 PM
    Yellowstone

Yellowstone [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the quick replies, I really appreciate it!
    My 2016 Tacoma had all kinds of weird issues. The worst being the transmission. It would literally shift constantly and then would get stuck in the high gears, and would also have extremely hard shifts. The infotainment system would go black all the time while driving. Only way to get it back was to pull over and turn the truck off. One of the weirdest was when I was driving in a strong crosswind it sounded like a loud kazoo! Drove me absolutely crazy on a road trip. It was my first Toyota and I was really disappointed. I really attribute the issues I had to being the first year.
    I’m heading to the dealer tomorrow for a test drive!

Trail Runnah and Thatbassguy like this.
  8. Nov 1, 2020 at 7:57 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    Many people complained about the Tacoma transmission. The 4runner is a completely different truck

travelinscout, DRobs, 7385 and 2 others like this.
  9. Nov 1, 2020 at 8:03 PM
    Kyblack76

Kyblack76 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Layton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD O.R
    No. If i was you, i would not buy one. Look else where.

10. Nov 1, 2020 at 8:23 PM
    4Runner170V

4Runner170V New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner Trail
    SSO Slimline Bumper w/Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch FOX 2.5 Front, 2.0 Rear/ICON UCA/OME Rear Spring 33X12.50R17 DRIFTA Drawer System ARB Awning APS Side Steps ICS Fab. Center Console Mount LFD Roof Rack Cross Bar Dual Battery System HAM/GMRS Mobile Radio
    Welcome to forum. I owned 08 Tacoma TRD and that truck has never gone to the shop. Only time was when I drove to empty fuel and damaged fuel pump. Truck just was rock solid. I remember that Toyota changed Tacoma factory from US to Mexico. I am not sure when exactly, but may be it was just bad batch unfortunately. Now, I have 2014 4Runner with 80K and rock solid. Both Tacoma and 4 Runner was treated with rust protection product. and Tacoma frame looked new until early this year. 150K... But at the end, it is your gut feeling. When you get in the car and test drive, you will know.... That is my feeling.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  11. Nov 1, 2020 at 8:47 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    If you'll take it offroad, get one in 4x4 and God bless. If you don't need to go offroad, get anything else with better MPG, people/cargo room, acceleration, ride quality, etc. No point in having one if you won't take it out.

MeefZah, DRobs and 7385 like this.
  12. Nov 1, 2020 at 8:49 PM
    DreamsComeTrue

DreamsComeTrue New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture
    Aside from the problems you had with Tacoma, why are you considering a 4runner?

7385 likes this.
  13. Nov 2, 2020 at 1:41 PM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    Just a little info. When I bought my last Tacoma it was 2015. I had my choice between 15 or 16. I don’t buy first year model. No matter what brand manufacturers. First years are not good to buy. Now 4runner same model been out for a long time. That I would buy. Good luck on your decision.

14. Nov 2, 2020 at 4:11 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    NO!

Everyone knows the 4Runner is a chick vehicle.

15. Nov 2, 2020 at 4:35 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    OP might be a chick.

nimby[QUOTED] and Thatbassguy like this.
  16. Nov 2, 2020 at 4:42 PM
    mousemeat

mousemeat New Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN.
    Vehicle:
    1997 4 runner limited
    upgraded suspension, large all terrain tires
    no, 4runners...especially 3rd gens...are bullet proof. rock solid. money well spent. do the research...ask people who have owned...or still do....and go from there

17. Nov 3, 2020 at 5:15 AM
    Red_5

Red_5 New Member

Member:
    Very true. I only buy 11th model year or later!

18. Nov 6, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    Jack Diesel

Jack Diesel New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR Premium
  19. Nov 6, 2020 at 1:52 PM
    OldButStillAdventurous

OldButStillAdventurous New Member

Member:
    Just ordered 2021 TRD OR premium mgm with moonroof,running boards and the usual other stuff
    Got 6% off sticker
    Comes in next week hold be fun, taking it to the beach soon as I can

20. Nov 6, 2020 at 8:49 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    If you had a Taco, you must have had a need/want for a utilitarian 4wd vehicle. That description definitely applies to the 4R!

If you're looking for the latest tech, good mpg, or a cushy ride, the 4R is not for you.

I really like mine. I find it does everything I need it to do. It's comfortable on the highway for long trips, it has a good amount of cargo room for utility, my two labs fit behind the 2nd row and love the slide down rear window, it's got a good amount of offroad capability. It's large for a "midsize", but easy to maneuver and park.

The buy in is high, but they also hold value really well. I like knowing it will always "work" which is the main reason I bought it over the Wrangler that I really wanted.

It's put together well. Mine is 7 years old with 110k miles, and not a peep from anything over rough roads or when hitting speed bumps at 30.

It's a good jack of all trades vehicle.

On the other hand, if you have no desire to offroad, tow, and don't require all weather capability, there are other vehicles that can fill the family hauler role with more comfort and economy.

21. Nov 12, 2020 at 7:17 PM
    Riding Dirty

Riding Dirty Sinner; saved by grace

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 T4R Pro 040
    Is plasti-dip a mod?!
    Yes! I had a turd gen (2016) and it was a turd. I too was soured after purchasing the tacoma. But I did my research and am so glad I traded the turd in on the 4 runner. The runner is totally awesome and made me really appreciate it after the tacoma. Test drive and see if it suits you. Yes, it rides like a truck and not like a unibody suv-wannabe and don’t look for great mpg’s. But that’s part of its appeal, rugged, simple and tough. Once you dump the turd you won’t look back. Good luck!

Taco Supremo likes this.
  22. Nov 12, 2020 at 7:34 PM
    Cowboy59

Cowboy59 Enjoy the Adventure

Member:
    N. Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off-Road Premium w/ Predator package & KDSS
    I bought my first 4runner back in Feb. I have not regretted it. I have had zero issues and it is clearly a proven setup. I had a jeep wrangler for many years and it is now owned by my son. So I needed to replace my 4WD vehicle. I drove a Gladiator, Ranger and few others. My wife and I are older now, and I really wanted a vehicle we could travel in and do all the off the beaten path exploring we wanted. I think we made a great choice. My off-road with KDSS is wonderful. Drives fine, allows us to pack our stuff easily and goes anywhere we want to explore with ease. I only wish it got better gas mileage, but that goes with the territory when you have 4WD.

23. Nov 12, 2020 at 7:40 PM
    Skyblue88

Skyblue88 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    88 4runner blue unicorn
    Nothing yet.
  24. Nov 13, 2020 at 10:34 AM
    Moots34

Moots34 New Member

Member:
    The 3rd Gen Tacos were lacking in drivability from the factory. My 4Runner has been great.

25. Nov 13, 2020 at 10:44 AM
    kittyhawk

kittyhawk New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner SR5
    None
    We made the switch from fords to Toyota with my wife's 13 4runner and its been Great. Its now at about 150,xxx miles and runs great i have Zero hesitation to jump in it right now and drive cross country. I got out of a 02 superduty and got Tundra in 15 and more than pleased with it. So I'd say Hell Yes get a 4runner!

26. Nov 13, 2020 at 11:50 AM
    importman

importman The mountains are calling and I must go...

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Carolinas
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver SR5 V6 4X4
    Blacked out, Ironman 3" Nitro Gas Suspension lift, JBA High Caster upper control arms, Differential drop and sway bar relocate, Upgraded to Sport Front Cardone Calipers with Brembo Rotors and Akebono Pads, Added Spoiler, Sony XAV-AX100 with Apple Carplay, USB Jack, Backup Camera, Black TRD Pro Wheels with General Grabber ATX 265/70/17, Rear differential vent extension, Auto Dimming Mirror with Compass and Homelink, Map Light Mod, Tekonsha 90160 Trailer Brake Controller, Recoil SL1708 Sub, Sealight LED Headlamps, K&N drop in air filter, Weathertech floor mats, Homemade rear storage compartment with built in pull out table.
    Your Taco is an anomaly. Toyota's in general are the best built, best backed, most reliable vehicles made, bar none. I have a 3rd gen,(05) 4runner with 287k miles on it that I just bought in Feb 2020. I've upgraded some stuff but done very little in the way of repair work. I think 2 cv axles and a blend door motor are the only repairs I've done to it. It runs and drives perfectly with no squeaks, rattles or other noises, even on gravel roads. I also have an 07 Tundra that I've had for almost 12 years with 168k on it. In those 12 years the only part I've ever put on it that would be considered a repair is a water pump. A little coolant came out of the weep hole after I drove it hard one night and I was planning to pull my camper on a long trip in a few days so I replaced it out of caution. Everything else I've done to it was maintenance: tires, oil changes, coolant change etc. And it hasn't had an easy life. I've pulled countless cars on my car trailer and I've towed my 29 ft camper thousands of miles. I also have an 09 Camry with about 128K on it that I inherited from my mother. Zero repairs in the 10 years that she/I have had it. My wife has an 11 Rav 4 with about 140K on it that has been slightly more trouble prone. By that I mean I had to replace the front wheel bearings and a little coolant pipe on the engine. One other thing with it which was a problem but also illustrates how serious Toyota is about their quality reputation, is the paint on it. It's the Pearl White color and they had widespread problems with the paint peeling. So what does Toyota do? Recall. My wife got the entire car, (except the rear tailgate door), completely repainted at no charge. They actually stripped it down to the primer, (or the metal), including the door jambs ect. and repainted it. I'm guessing this cost Toyota upwards of $5000 for this, considering the amount of work involved. This just got done earlier this year. So the car is 9 years old and Toyota stood behind their product and made it right. I'd like to see ANY other manufacturer's response to that situation. Even Nissan, who I think builds a quality product, wouldn't have done that, as evidenced by 99 percent of the Titan's on the road with all the paint gone from the roof. So to answer your original question. Emphatically yes. If your only concern is reliability, you should go for it. Toyota's are the most reliable vehicles and 4Runners are likely the most reliable Toyotas.

27. Nov 13, 2020 at 3:30 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    The Tacoma just came out in 2015? I thought it was a lot older platform? maybe I misunderstood

28. Nov 13, 2020 at 4:00 PM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    The last 2nd Gen Tacoma was 2015 before it changed over to the 2016. I had my choice which one to buy. I stayed with the 15 and traded it in on my 17 4runner Pro. I got almost what I paid for that truck when I traded it in.

nimby likes this.
  29. Nov 14, 2020 at 10:24 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    Yes

It's infinitely superior to the new Tacomas, despite being "old tech" (or maybe because it is "old tech")

Taco Supremo likes this.
  30. Nov 14, 2020 at 10:26 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    Pics

Products Discussed in