1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shauncho's Slow & Steady 3rd Gen Build

Discussion in '3rd Gen Builds (1996-2002)' started by Shauncho, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Apr 6, 2014 at 7:55 PM
    Shauncho

Shauncho [OP] New Member

Member:
    Welcome to my build thread! Doc is a 1999 4Runner(3rd Gen) 3.4L V6. I got Doc in January of '13. The first time I saw him was a few years prior as my in-laws daily driver. I saw it had 4WD (my Tacoma is only a prerunner) and I knew I had to have him. Fast forward a few years and my in-laws were ready to trade up and my chance to own Doc was finally here!

He does come with a small medical history. At about 180,000 miles he got a rebuilt motor which currently has approximately 120,000 miles.

Going through him with a fine tooth comb I found very few issues. A couple small dings(one easily repairable), battery is nearing the end of its life, one of the bolts that holds the driver seat in place pulled out the welded nut from the body and the driver side headlight wiggles a little(another easy fix). Biggest thing that concerns me was the lack of usage of the 4WD. Since it was new, it was engaged a handful of times at best. It was tough to get it to engage when I first got it but I've used it a couple times now and it seems to be engaging more easily.

Current mods: NONE! I've removed the OEM side steps and painted the front toyota emblem. I'll be replacing the tires soon and hopefully getting some sliders.

Other mods I'm hoping to do:
    Lift - still not sure but will probably just get Bilsteins or OMEs.
    Plate bumpers
    Muffler
    Window tint
    Who knows?

here's a pic of him as he sits now:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  2. Apr 10, 2014 at 7:28 PM
    HarvestHawk

HarvestHawk New Member

Member:
    Like it a lot. Hard to beat earlier model steel bumpers. I looked at a lot of used 4Runners before I decided to buy new. I was afraid I was going to end up with a money pit but it looks like even the new ones can be money pits if modding is the plan.

3. Apr 10, 2014 at 7:40 PM
    Shauncho

Shauncho [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks! Yeah, they're always money pits when modding comes into play! Lol I'm trying to be reasonable when it comes to planning mods for this thing but the more I look the more I want.

4. Nov 18, 2021 at 7:38 PM
    IRazr

IRazr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner Limited 4x4
    1st 4runner for me : starting with replacing all lights LED's looking to get some great ideas from the forums !
    Are the pictures not working on the link ?
    Seen some really nice 4runners in here and cant wait to get mine up to snuff and ready for some nice fun snow running !

To Top