1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Service Department won't follow Toyota's maintenance schedule

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010+)' started by Singleminded, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Oct 9, 2020 at 4:47 AM
    A&P

A&P Name: Kevin

Member:
    E.Pa
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR Super White Some Mods
    LED Anytime Fog Lights,Interior & Backup, Raptor lights,Cornfed frt Spacers, Tinted Frt to match rest windows, CF steering wheel, 4 doors & above glove box panels,
    So I reviewed WO from dealership & they did a 25k oil change. I just did one @ 20k. Well I got fresh oil for our road trip!!

Singleminded [OP] likes this.
  2. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:10 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    OP,
    What did you find to be the cause of your engine oil light? Just curious because I think oil is kind of crucial for an engine (I read it on the internet...) LMAO
    Seriously, it just popped into my head & thought I would ask.
    Ryan.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  3. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:17 PM
    jvinhj240

jvinhj240 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ben
    every 5k you go in to have it rotates tires and inspect
    oil change interval suppose to be 10k

so
    5-------no oil
    10---oil
    15---no oi
    20-- oil
    25 your 2 years is over.

Even they give me lifetime I don't even let them do it. I do my own oil take me 20-30 mins. Driving to them make appt. waiting 1,2,3,4 hrs to get a simple service? NOPE. I dont even mention they scratch your car etc...

ThePnsh3r likes this.
  4. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:30 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Toyota Corp couldn't seem to give me a straight answer. The rep I talked to clearly didn't know much, and didn't know how to interpret the materials he was reading or answers he was getting from his colleagues.

But the consensus on the forum seems to be that my dealer service guy was correct. "Oil Maintenance Required" is just an idiot light that comes on at about 5,000 miles. It really just means "Maintenance Required." Sometimes that includes oil, sometimes not. Cause, like most manufacturers, Toyota doesn't recommend oil changes that frequently under normal use. So it seems it's just a poorly worded alert.

5. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:34 PM
    jvinhj240

jvinhj240 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ben
    10k because full synthetic oil -they use synthetic oil most their product now. so its 10k oil change interval
    5k convention oil

6. Oct 14, 2020 at 6:16 PM
    Snickel Fritz

Snickel Fritz This member likes turtles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    FN Konig Six Shooters+Cooper AT3 4S 255/75/17 Artec Full Aluminum Skidplates Kenwood DNX996XR RAV4 heated blind spot mirrors OEM Blackout Edition LED fogs Buncha sheepskin stuff Not installed... yet: Artec Sliders Hefty Fab Hybrid front bumper Thinkware U1000 DC (benched) Renogy DCC50S (benched)
    Pretty sure that the local dealer skipped my last service, if they ever did it... oil was black as molasses when I did my own for the first time @30k... thank god not as thick though.
    I didn't want to deal with a standard plug or plastic filter housing anymore, so I got a Fumoto and an aluminum cap for the filter. I tested the valve after installing, and it worked great- good flow, no dripping, but the nipple is too short to really hold any tubing on it without a tight clamp. I intend to put a length of tubing on it, and leave it up there to see if it survives until the next change.
    Aluminum housing threaded back on easier than the plastic one, probably because it never had an impact gun on it...

Yeah, I think I'm gonna do as much of my own work as possible from here on out.

nimby likes this.
  7. Oct 14, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    jvinhj240

jvinhj240 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ben
    exactly, many many problem and reason not to let them service ur car unless you have to. simple oil change even they beg me i wont even let them.

Snickel Fritz likes this.
  8. Oct 14, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    Singleminded

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Don't blame you one bit. I've had several bad experiences -- an oil change not done that was supposed to be done, numerous oil overfills, a filter punctured during installation that then leaked oil all over my driveway, "120 point inspections" that missed major things a moron would have caught on a 10-point inspection... and of course the frequent attempts to get you to buy an overpriced service or replacement that you don't actually need yet. It's amazing how much dealers want to charge you to put on a new set of the crappy tires that came with the car. Uh, how bout I spend 2/3rds of that money on tires that are 3X as good? How does that sound?

In this 5K service I just got they clearly did change the oil, and put in the right amount (I can't prove they changed the filter though LOL). And from it's color I'm sure it's 0-20, not 5-30. But did they lube the propeller shaft? I doubt it. The slip joint nipple was dry as a bone. The nipple for the spider was a bit damp but it didn't look like there was any fresh grease on those spider joints. Sigh. Frankly, I'm not even sure they rotated the tires on one side of the truck. There are still little nubs on the tread where it meets the sidewall on the rear passenger tire. If that had been on the front I think those nubs would be gone by now. I wish I'd marked the tires before I took it in.

I actually hate to be so suspicious, but I've had way too many bad experiences not to expect the worst.

9. Oct 14, 2020 at 6:49 PM
    Snickel Fritz

Snickel Fritz This member likes turtles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    FN Konig Six Shooters+Cooper AT3 4S 255/75/17 Artec Full Aluminum Skidplates Kenwood DNX996XR RAV4 heated blind spot mirrors OEM Blackout Edition LED fogs Buncha sheepskin stuff Not installed... yet: Artec Sliders Hefty Fab Hybrid front bumper Thinkware U1000 DC (benched) Renogy DCC50S (benched)
    Yep, they also failed to rotate my tires once, after I got my Kenwood HU and Maestro. This is why we need torque wrenches immediately after buying a new vehicle lol....

10. Oct 14, 2020 at 7:24 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach struts/shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    I took my 2019 in for a Toyotacare visit @ 6 months. They (say they) inspected everything and rotated the tires. When it came for my 1 year visit, and was up for an oil change, I couldn't do it. I'd had enough bad experiences with kids at Toyota dealerships working on my Tacoma in the past. I took it to a trusted mechanic who is 3 doors down from my workplace. I dropped it off on my way to work, walked in to the office, then walked back to pick it up. For a $50 labor charge on top of the price of the oil & filter, knowing it was done right, and didn't have to drive to the dealer and wait several hours, why would I get the "free" Toyotacare? It might be free moneywise, but costs in other ways, especially in peace of mind.

I personally am not interested in doing it myself anymore.

11. Oct 14, 2020 at 7:35 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    I maybe wrong but I believe it has to due with the maintenance section in your headunit (assuming the 2020 didn't change much inside the headunit). Can you find a screen like this?
    You can set milage & dates to "remind" you. If one of ours goes off early; I just extend the milage or date to match the needed service.
    Let us know what you find!
    Thanks,
    Ryan.
    20201014_205550.jpg 20201014_205559.jpg 20201014_205622.jpg

12. Oct 14, 2020 at 8:09 PM
    Singleminded

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Thanks for the reminder. The 2020 has a different system, and I have a Limited which might mean additional differences. (eg it shows me the PSI in real time in each tire plus the spare) but I imagine there are similar controls in there somewhere. I've meant to poke around in it and see what I find. Will then post an update if any of it might be helpful.

I don't mind getting a reminder at 5K since I'll want whatever Toyota is willing to do then for free, and let them reset it. But after that I can keep track myself and will want to know how to turn off or reset the reminders myself.

4Runner fun likes this.
  13. Oct 14, 2020 at 8:13 PM
    Singleminded

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I hear ya. In my case my dealer will pick up my truck from my house then bring it back when they're done. So I don't have to waste hours at the dealer etc. Or risk getting COVID there lol. But I have a good local mechanic that I'll turn to for things I can't or don't want to do myself, once the free services end. Espec so once I'm out of warranty.

Snickel Fritz and 4Runner fun like this.
  14. Oct 16, 2020 at 11:41 AM
    Doglover2003

Doglover2003 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '18 ORP w/KDSS
    @scottalot I'm bitching that you haven't mod the 4Runner more :boink:

Thatbassguy, nimby and scottalot like this.
  15. Oct 16, 2020 at 2:43 PM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling
    Would 5000 mile interval be better suited to you? If yes, I would reset the service reminder, get the oil changed somewhere else and pay for it, Toyota oil is Mobil 1 Synthetic, grease to the prop. shaft consists of 6 grease fittings, you can do this in about 5 mins. ( I just did it on mine with 2000 miles on it) if you don't have a grease gun, invest! Buy a couple tubes of good quality grease and now your set for a couple of years. If you don't retorque or check the body mount bolts etc., have the place that does your oil change check them... I don't know the torque spec., but I bet someone on here does. As far as your dealership is concerned; they could be a little more informing, they seem to think they hold all the cards.. but they don't. If you want to avoid this type of conflict I would suggest getting it changed and let them do another at 10,000, then you would be on the 5,000 interval!

nimby likes this.
  16. Oct 16, 2020 at 4:43 PM
    scottalot

scottalot Stockalot

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Charleston SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R offroad
    To be determined
    Bitch please :rofl:

ive been modding the house instead as well as the kids stuff :facepalm:

Thatbassguy, Doglover2003 and nimby like this.
  17. Oct 17, 2020 at 9:26 AM
    Doglover2003

Doglover2003 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '18 ORP w/KDSS
    Bitch that's overlanding for the mall crawlers :laugh:

Thatbassguy and scottalot like this.
  18. Oct 17, 2020 at 10:46 AM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    When I purchased new my 2010 FJ Cruiser, I believe that was the first year they started using the 0W20 synthetic oil with that engine. In fact, it was a bit difficult to find this oil aftermarket for the first 6 months. I had to purchase the oil from the Dealership. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong places LOL. But I remember the Service Manager told me my "Maintenance Required" light would come on every 5,000 miles, even though I only needed the oil changed every 10,000 (except for lots of towing and/or other hard driving conditions). He also mentioned that during 2010 some of the other Toyota Models still required standard oil changes every 5,000.

Hey 4Runner fun: The "white" TRD Off Road lettering looks really good against the black body paint. Did that come that way ?

Rick

19. Oct 17, 2020 at 11:03 AM
    scottalot

scottalot Stockalot

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Charleston SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R offroad
    To be determined
    :anonymous:
    Guilty as charged :laughing:

Doglover2003 likes this.
  20. Oct 17, 2020 at 12:06 PM
    Doglover2003

Doglover2003 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '18 ORP w/KDSS
    :laugh::cheers:

scottalot likes this.
  21. Oct 17, 2020 at 3:35 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    The manual still recommends 5K for severe use, IE towing, off-roading, driving fast.. I do mine every 5K with tire rotations.

22. Oct 17, 2020 at 5:13 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    that's weird. our dealership here follows the schedule, AND threw in two extra services for free. kinda funny since the sales side of the dealership blows dead bears and we refuse to buy there.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  23. Oct 17, 2020 at 5:23 PM
    jvinhj240

jvinhj240 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ben
    they threw in service does not mean they change oil. Unless, they specifiy 2 oil chagne for free

24. Oct 17, 2020 at 6:02 PM
    Firefly21

Firefly21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane Frazier
    Vehicle:
    18 off road premium trd
    Hid lows 3500 drl / high Led interior Led reverse Led oem fogs Sequential blinker Trd intake Unifilter pump mod Apex recover points Wild Peak ATS3 (matching trd spare) Kicker front tweeters Tvd overlays S2 yellow wide fogs Apex black sequential rear tails Cartrim home blue convex mirriors
    Doing oil change /tire rotation is simple and You know its done properly
    Unless physically unable to do it I see no reason to chance a dealer shit service vs a diy

Thatbassguy and jvinhj240 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top