1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Searching for knowledge on my new 4runner

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by Lotzgoes4x4, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Jul 21, 2021 at 7:19 PM
    Lotzgoes4x4

Lotzgoes4x4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Theodore
    Vehicle:
    1990 Blue 4Runner V6 Auto 4x4
    Hello, new here and looking for some advice on things. Just purchased this 1990 4runner with a V6/Auto.
    No rust and body is in good condition, interior is also on surprisingly good condition, with a few cracks in the dash. Still registered, and clean titled, and I paid 1000$ for it.

The only major issue was the auto was stuck in third. Swapped out all the solenoids and it starts up drives no issues with the exception of some loose ball joints. 4L works along with the auto lockers. And no leaks, besides a pinhole in the radiator.

1. The AC lost charge due to a bad charge valve. It's 400$ to fill with R12, or should I consider converting the compressor?

2. I am going to add a trans cooler in-between the radiator and the ac condenser. Is that a decent spot? Im keeping the clutch fan at the moment.

3. The front passenger tire has negative camber, and it pulls to the right. I'm replacing all the ball joints as there's considerable slop and It appears the eccentrics are maxed out trying to correct it. Is this likely bad control arm bushings affecting the camber?

4. Parking Brake seems disconnected, is there a common failure spot to check?

Overall I'm pleased with it. Once I have all the small things buttoned up. It going to be going camping all sorts of places. Next year I'll consider putting a small lift and a winch so I can do some slightly more rough stuff with it.

Also any must do mods to improve reliability. Probably an unpopular opinion but the 3.0 is doing just fine at the moment.

Products Discussed in

To Top