1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust Issues?

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by holytrails, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Oct 27, 2015 at 7:46 PM
    holytrails

holytrails [OP] New Member

Member:
    I just bought an 04. V8 with 118k. Mechanically its in good shape but theres rust on the undercarriage. The front brace which the skid plate mounts to and has the 2 tie down hooks for transport is quite rusted. The rust is enough that one hook can be pulled off by hand.

This 4R has been a CA car its whole life, with most of in San Francisco. The original owner didn't live right next to the ocean but on a hill top, a few miles from shore.

Strange thing too is even the aluminum intake manifold and valve covers also have quite a bit of corrosion, like its been in salt water or something. Its got a clean title so I don't suspect flood damage or anything else.

Is this something other 4Rs owners have seen?

2. Nov 2, 2015 at 4:09 PM
    drunner

drunner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Anaheim
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    5100s, 885s, Toytec 2" rear, Camburg UCAs, 255/75/17 Duratracs
    I'd imagine that it's gotten quite a bit of salt depending on how close to the bay it's lived most of it's life. My sister had a Paseo years ago and she lived 2 miles from the beach. That poor little thing was beat after 3 years in the ocean fog/marine layer. I'll have to ask her how her Infiniti is holding up. Pretty sure that one gets kept in the garage now but they're still pretty close to the ocean.

Products Discussed in

To Top