1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RTT or interior bed platform?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by lodi781, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Mar 30, 2022 at 12:42 PM
    Fourthint

Fourthint New Member

Member:
    This is one of the reasons I transitioned from a similar platform setup to a rooftop tent (ikamper) (the other reason being the wife only agreeing to come on trips if there was a tent).

I used the platform in a drive across the country and it while it was discrete and comfortable once I fell asleep, it was felt cramped over time. Not having the ability to sit or move around fully after a long day of driving or hiking (or if it's raining or too cold outside) became increasingly frustrating. While I probably would have been fine using the platform since I'm cheap, you don't realize how much little things like this can negatively affect your trip or how you feel the next day.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  2. Apr 4, 2022 at 12:56 PM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    I finally put my bike in the back since I was riding with a party of three (3 peeps / 3 bikes). The bike fit inside just fine (seat lowered & front tire off) and there will be plenty of room for me sleep inside as well. Whatever cargo stuff I may have in the back will simply be rotated to the front seats while sleeping.

Thatbassguy and Surly Shawn like this.
  3. Apr 4, 2022 at 2:46 PM
    Surly Shawn

Surly Shawn New Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver TRD Off Road
    Gobi Ranger Rack, Victory 4x4 Molle Panels, Strawfoot Window Covers, R4T Blackout Emblems, USR LED Interior Lights, TRD Cold Air Intake...
    Nice!

Thatbassguy likes this.
  4. May 12, 2022 at 11:58 AM
    1/68 Armor Ventre A Terra

1/68 Armor Ventre A Terra 24 Silver ORP w/KDSS

Member:
    I built this in 5 minutes and it’s all scrap. I day backpack/day hike and travel about a week at at time in my 4runners when getting away. I leave the 40% seat up as it’s easier to climb out in the middle of the night and the morning. I also like just a simple platform so when I get back home the dog and roam free behind the rear seats. 73D8200A-DF1D-41E1-BA66-394FF696F07E.jpgE0DA73DD-194C-4E74-ADD1-4C58383158FC.jpg

Thatbassguy likes this.
  5. Sep 16, 2022 at 9:09 PM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
  6. Sep 16, 2022 at 9:50 PM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    I removed both rear seats in their entirety! I am going to sleep inside and stow my mountain bike inside for security purposes as necessary for my mtn biking road trip out west.

With the seats in, I previously tried to be really cheap to build up the rear area with cardboard for leveling and it was not close to being level. Additionally I tried to utilize our chase lounge pad from our patio furniture. I did not sleep well at all that night with that set up.

So I removed the seats completely and used a piece of plywood 24.5" x 75" x .5" (two free saw cuts at Home Depot). Added two 2"x4" legs on the open end by the front seat and also added a 2"x4" crossmember / joist midway thru the dip of the seat well. I have a 72"x24"x.5" rubber exercise pad and a 75"x25"x3" memory foam pad by Better Habitat ($129). The exercise pad is primarily for when I choose to sleep on the ground or in the tent, but it's additional comfort - so why not utilize it as well. Super comfortable and I am really pleased with the Better Habitat mattress.

I'm not overlanding and it's just me traveling, so I did not feel the need for an elevated platform with storage below. Plus I treasure the ample head space!

Both lower rear seats came out super easy. The upper seats took a little longer!

Products Discussed in

To Top