1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RSG Sliders and KDSS: Installed Update

Discussion in 'Armor' started by Commited, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Jan 26, 2022 at 12:25 PM
    5HARDKIDZ

5HARDKIDZ New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Green T4R TRD Premium
    Can you let me know where you got the sliders from? Just got my 1st T4R TRDORP and bought skim plate from Toyota. They acted dumb that they couldnt put it on with the kdss.

2. Jan 26, 2022 at 2:22 PM
    Commited

Commited [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Metallic TRD ORP
    Tinted fronts, blacked out overlays.
    RSG Metalworks.

3. Jan 27, 2022 at 3:15 PM
    5HARDKIDZ

5HARDKIDZ New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Green T4R TRD Premium
    Thanks!

4. Feb 20, 2022 at 7:54 PM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Kings front and back, RSG sliders, GOBI ladder BFG AT 285s, OEM phone dial wheels, KDSS
    I just installed a set of RSG's on my '22 ORP w/KDSS. (0', top plates and kick outs) You have to push out the metal KDSS lines a bit but it was no big deal so long as you have someone else with you. I did shear off 1 grade 8 bolt, though, with the torque wrench set at 55 pounds. Other than that, smooth sailing....about a 3 hour job for both sides (there's 1 bolt directly under the KDSS lines that had to be shortened). I'm still trying to figure out how I'm gonna get that bolt out of there. (yes, I have a bolt extractor kit, but I've never tried it on a grade 8 bolt that's really stuck)

5. Feb 21, 2022 at 7:29 AM
    Commited

Commited [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Just curious as to where you got the 55#s of torque for the bolts. RSG recommended 25#s. I too had to install a shorter bolt, luckily I had just the right size in my garage. Just checked RSG recommends 24#s of torque. I went 25#s.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  6. Feb 21, 2022 at 10:53 AM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Kings front and back, RSG sliders, GOBI ladder BFG AT 285s, OEM phone dial wheels, KDSS
    Wow. I should have researched RSG's site more on them before I put them on. Long story short - I bought them used. The person I got them from told me they needed to be torqued to 80#. So, on one of the first bolts, I took it up to 70# and it spit out the lock washer, so I backed it off to 55# and all seemed well until I sheared one of the last bolts. I'll back them off a bit when I get home. Live and learn I guess.

7. Feb 21, 2022 at 12:32 PM
    Commited

Commited [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Yup, Im not an engineer but that’s a lot of stress on a bolt that size. If it were me I’d remove them and re-install with new lock washers but that’s just me.

8. Feb 21, 2022 at 9:49 PM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    I wonder if I'm better off leaving the bolts where they are with the bent washers, or back them off to 30# and maybe allowing a gap to appear?

9. Jul 29, 2022 at 9:48 AM
    5six

5six New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    55_4Runner
    GTA, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black TRD ORP
    Ceramic tint (all glass), Toyo AT3s 285/70 C load, Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, Ironman UCA, Cartrimhome TRD skid plate, RCI skids (rear diff, transmission, filler plate, catalytic anti theft), SwitchPro 9100 & MT Plate, Caliraised ditch lights & brackets, Caliraised molle panels, Sherpa roof rack, Westcott ladder, Weathertech window visors, Meso & LED interior bulbs, black badging, Weathertech mats, Husky cargo liner, Canvasback rear seat backing, Smittybilt 2781, Morrflate Quad, ARB Diff Breather, Ultimate9, TRD Pro rims, GTR Carbide headlights, DIY Knight Rider light strip.
    Sorry for question so many months later, just got my truck yesterday. The RSG rock sliders compared to the stock stepping boards, how much do they stick out? Reason I’m asking is because I’d like to still use these as a stepping plate, especially with the times I give my parents a ride.

10. Jul 29, 2022 at 10:40 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I can't help with measurements, but I wanted to mention that the flat (non-angled) version is probably a better choice if you're looking to use them as steps.

I believe @glwood54 measured his awhile back.

11. Jul 29, 2022 at 2:33 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    This was that measurement, from the door sill to the outside edge of the slider.
    [​IMG]

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Oct 2, 2023 at 12:41 PM
    Adam RSG Offroad Director

Adam RSG Offroad Director New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    RSG FLACKO TACO
    Lift 17 wheels 35in tires bilstein shocks with dobimson control arms rsg rock sliders with rsg Tacoma skid plate
    Hey everyone, I've received some customers referring to your thread. So I want to join in and help with all questions and confusion.
    I also want to thank all of you for following and purchasing RSG Armor.

I will start by giving you guys the steps for install.

1.chase all threads before installing. (Sometimes you can get away with not chasing threads "especially on a new truck")

2. definitely take out the plastic plugs that will be under the mounting plates. (These plugs will not allow the plates to mount flush, which will compromise the strength)

3.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lHvcz7epU58&pp=ygUYcnNnIHJvY2sgc2xpZGVycyA0cnVubmVy

Here is a link to our install video we created a couple weeks ago. You can also follow our new install videos on the RSG Offroad and RSG Metal works YouTube pages. We also do work directly with team 4Runner. You can also reach out via phone or orders@rsgoffroad.com.

I also appreciate feedback on how we can improve our product and service. We are planning at least 5 new products to be released by March that we would also like to know everyone's feedback on.
    Follow us on Instagram as well to stay up on everything we have going on!

Doglover2003 likes this.
  13. Mar 17, 2024 at 7:04 PM
    Grillmastertoo

Grillmastertoo New Member

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD PRO White
    im confused by the mention of having to cut the kdss plate and move teh kdss lines around.
    i dont think my trd pro had kdss ----that is correct right?

14. Mar 17, 2024 at 8:25 PM
    HornedOwl

HornedOwl New Member

Member:
    Washington State
    Pro = No KDSS

Products Discussed in

To Top