1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roof Rack Talk (Installed Sherpa rubber mounts on Westcott Rack)

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by wax poetic, Jun 30, 2023.

1. Jun 30, 2023 at 6:52 PM
    wax poetic

wax poetic [OP] New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    OEM+ Trail Edition rims w/ Toyo AT3 in stock size OEM Heritage Grill OEM Black Valences (f + r) Westcott Sliders/Modular Roof Rack Roam 95L case DIY sleeping platform
    Hey all,

Looking for some thoughts on something. Skip to the bottom for the quick version. Thanks in advance for any input!

I have been researching racks for a while. I narrowed it down to Westcott or Sherpa. As you may have saw by my post earlier today I decided on the Westcott. They were amazing and all of their products were too! I also really wanted to support local and Westcott is 30 min away. I have no doubt the Sherpa rack is amazing as well but Westcott won me over. Here is my dilemma ...

The one thing I don't like about the Westcott is the use of a sealant to water proof it. Not that I have to be too concerned about that here but I am concerned the sun/heat will dry that shit out and then when the monsoons do come it may leak. I don't think anyone has reported that, so it's probably overthinking but either way I didn't want to use sealant.

The Sherpa mounting system uses a rubber block and bonded rubber washers. That was a huge pro of the Sherpa rack imo. So ... I ordered them (the feet and washers from Sherpa) and am going to make them work with the Westcott rack (I'll let you know how that goes). That isn't my question though.

Here it is ...

The Westcott rack requires trimming the rubber that goes down the rain gutters of the roof and sticking the front mounting foot to the roof with adhesive, in essence, pulling the rack down and sticking it there. I don't like the idea of cutting the rubber necessarily.

The Sherpa rack front mount doesn't require cutting the rubber in the gutter and holds the rack firm by pushing against the vehicle.

Which front mount seems like the better option? I feel the Sherpa pushing up on the car would add unnecessary pressure to the middle mount even if it's minor. But why even risk it if the only negative of the Westcott front mount is that the rubber trim may not look as clean (if it's visible at all)

TL : DR
    The Westcott rack requires trimming the rubber that goes down the rain gutters of the roof and sticking the front mounting foot to the roof with adhesive pulling the rack down.

The Sherpa rack front mount doesn't require cutting the rubber in the gutter and holds the rack firm by pushing against the vehicle.

Which seems like the better solution?

2. Jun 30, 2023 at 7:10 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    TL:DR

For what it's worth, I struggled a lot with water sealing when I installed mine. I don't have either rack though, I have a gobi.

I followed the install instructions with layered rubber pads and rubber washers and it's been on 2-3 years without issue. I didn't do anything extra.

From what I read, silicone can dry and crack where RVT stays wet-ish and sticky. I have noticed that the rubber pads that are exposed to the sun are very dry and cracked. I'm in MD where it's a temperate climate (lots of rain spring, fall, cold winters, and summer t-storms but mostly dry). I will probably buy the replacement hardware kit in a few years - will see how they do.

If the rack uses the stock mounting points (which I assume any good rack should), if you get water intrusion it will leak down the B and/or C pillars and make the seat belts wet to let you know there is a problem. After every hard rain storm I pull all the seat belts out to their max and feel for dampness. If I feel it, seals will be replaced.

Old Tanker and wax poetic[OP] like this.
  3. Jul 1, 2023 at 1:41 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    OEM+ Trail Edition rims w/ Toyo AT3 in stock size OEM Heritage Grill OEM Black Valences (f + r) Westcott Sliders/Modular Roof Rack Roam 95L case DIY sleeping platform
    @FN2187 When you say "For what it's worth, I struggled a lot with water sealing when I installed mine." Do you mean water was actually getting in or that you were just paranoid about it like I seem to be?

Any other thoughts? I ordered the parts from Sherpa, so I'll be comparing to the Westcott feet and spacers and may just use the rubber blocks from Sherpa or the whole feet depending on how things are looking. Goal is no sealant and no leaks

4. Jul 1, 2023 at 2:20 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    Sorry, that comment was poorly worded.

I struggled with paranoia after reading about installs on the forums where a lot of people said they were adding extra sealant during install.

I eventually decided to just follow the manufacturer install instructions, which did not call for any. Gobi had been popular for years by the time I got mine and figured if extra sealant were needed, they would have added it to the instructions so they didn't get a reputation for leaky racks

Old Tanker and wax poetic[OP] like this.
  5. Jul 1, 2023 at 2:21 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    Excellent! Thank you for that clarification!

6. Jul 8, 2023 at 11:53 AM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    Update ...

Going to attempt install today.

On the left you'll see the Westcott mount and their black mounting sleeve.

In the middle is the rubber mounting block for the Sherpa Crestone rack.

On the right is the Sherpa Crestone rear mount and their silver mounting sleeve.

The Westcott mounts are steel, the Sherpa seem to be aluminum.

Currently I'm leaning towards trying to use the rubber mounts/Sherpa sleeve/Westcott steel mounting brackets. This will prevent the need for any silicone or other sealant. The reason for sticking with the Westcott mounting brackets for this is that it will use the holes that are the exact size/position instead of using the cross bar slots. This would prevent any sort of shift that could happen if bolts loosen if I tried using the Sherpa mount with the Westcott rack.

I also did not order the front adjustable Sherpa mount as I decided I'd prefer to trim the gutter rubber than and have a mount that sticks and pulls down rather than one that applies constant pressure down to prevent moving. So I'll be using the Westcott front mount.

The only two concerns I'm having are that the Westcott mount on the Sherpa rubber will sit slightly lower than it would on the Westcott cylinder. This may make the rack to roof lines slightly off as it will sit just a bit lower. The bolts may also end up being slightly too long. If this seems to be the case after a test mount of one side panel I will try to use the full Sherpa mounts although this may be an issue given I only have the front Westcott mount.

I'll keep you all updated.

IMG_0860.HEIC.jpg

Nubes and MTMik109 like this.
  7. Jul 8, 2023 at 12:20 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
  8. Jul 8, 2023 at 8:11 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    Ok ... got it installed.

I ended up using the following ...

Westcott Brackets (was really considering the Sherpa ones to the point that I mounted them but the larger bolts did not fit through the upper slots)

Sherpa rubber under mounts and silver sleeve. The silver sleeves fit so tight around the factory white plastic ones while the Westcott black ones had a lot of space around it. Given they use a lot of sealant so I can understand where it doesn't really matter in that case.

Reused the factory bolts. Sherpa sent me some with the feet, and I had also ordered their bonded washers but both factory bolts and rubber spacers seemed beefier.

I also wrapped the upper threads of each bolt with plumbers tape and coated the bottom threads with blue thread lock. I believe this would add a small amount of extra protection should any water find a way around the upper seal. I was slightly concerned about that given the Westcott mounts have oval shaped holes instead of round and the factory rubber spacer just barely covered it (although it seemed like there was plenty of coverage after the bolts were tightened.

A side effect of this set up was an oh shit moment after I had the rack 3/4 of the way installed and the front of the rack was sitting on the car ... like with pressure on the vehicle. I thought I was going to have to take the whole thing apart and install all of the Westcott pieces, but I decided to forge ahead. I shoved some microfiber towels under the rack where it was resting on the car to hopefully prevent paint damage and moved forward with installing Westcott's front mount. I cut the rubber trim from the roof gutters and put the mount down. I then had to use the microfiber to pull up on the rack to line up the holes and that moment was miraculous. It made the rack sit perfect. If you watch Westcotts install video there is about a finger of space between the bottom of the rack and the roof line on the outside edge. Mine with the lower Sherpa rubber spacers with the Westcott mounts on that have the rack sitting a few mm off the roof line. I'll throw some stuff up there and ensure it's not a problem but it's solid so I can't imagine there will be.

The other thing I decided to do since the RTT is a bit out still is utilize the basket feature of the Westcott rack. I put a few of the cross bars in the lower position and a few in the upper and will use the space to tie down luggage so our new dog can ride in the rear.

Alright, going to eat! Thanks for read all of this if you did.

IMG_0869.HEIC.jpg IMG_0870.HEIC.jpg IMG_0872.HEIC.jpg IMG_0873.HEIC.jpg

9. Jul 8, 2023 at 8:24 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
    Kfish likes this.
  10. Jul 10, 2023 at 7:57 AM
    rhexis

rhexis New Member

Member:
    just for a data point on the prinsu rack. i installed it about a month ago following the instructions from a youtube video. used high quality silicone sealant in the bolt holes. yesterday we had torrential rain here close to 5 inches in 4 hours. i left the truck out the entire day and last night in the garage i checked for leaks and found none.

wax poetic[OP] likes this.
  11. Jul 10, 2023 at 8:01 AM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    I think my concern is that (especially this time of year) it's 110+ here for a bit and that the sealant could dry out some and pull back. Then when the monsoons come any gap would allow water to seep in. It may not even happen here as I haven't heard of it but I wanted the safest option possible so I went overboard for sure.

Thank you for adding your experience to the thread!

12. Jul 14, 2023 at 7:29 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    A little update since it's been almost a week now. There is no noise so far with this set up. I expect that to change when I add stuff to the top but we'll see. I also haven't driven it enough to know the mpg loss yet (if there is one) but I expect it to be really low as Westcott reports better mpg that other rack manufacturers and with mine sitting a bit lower than their set up I'd expect it to be as good or better. I'll let you know. I also plan on trying a few additions from other companies as Westcott doesn't make too many accessories for their racks but claim others will work. I will let you know :)

13. Sep 18, 2023 at 3:27 PM
    ialexyoung

ialexyoung New Member

Member:
    curious how you were able to order rubber blocks and sleeves from Sherpa. They told me they don't sell them separately.

14. Sep 18, 2023 at 4:19 PM
    TechNRK

TechNRK New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black TRD Sport 4Runner 4x4
    Reading through this thread has me terrified to get a roof rack now lol!

chazmo, roooo and raimieb like this.
  15. Sep 18, 2023 at 5:58 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    ialexyoung[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Sep 18, 2023 at 5:59 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    I'm sure you'll be fine. There are way more racks than leaks ;)

17. Sep 18, 2023 at 7:11 PM
    ialexyoung

ialexyoung New Member

Member:
  18. Sep 18, 2023 at 7:13 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    Make sure you order it for the Crestone as that is the 4Runner rack. Also save time and $$$ and order in Silver if you don't care about the brackets.

ialexyoung[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Dec 4, 2023 at 3:52 PM
    ayo4runner

ayo4runner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 White 4Runner ORP KDSS
    do you think the Sherpa mounting system would work on a Gobi rack?

20. Dec 4, 2023 at 3:55 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    I have no experience with Gobi but I thought I had heard they have a kit you can buy to replace their bases as needed. I'll look into it for you. But if I'm being honest and what I've seen with racks I would assume they would especially as I don't think the Gobi sits as low as the other two racks I've discussed. I'll see if I can see pics of the Gobi and get a better idea. Give me a little bit as I'm just about to run an errand

21. Dec 4, 2023 at 4:44 PM
    ayo4runner

ayo4runner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 White 4Runner ORP KDSS
    https://gobiracks.com/product/toyot...PleYgl-6BJJfEEjWO72W3Wa1O5SBcr2BoCFp4QAvD_BwE

Thank you! I prefer Sherpa's mounting system without the silicon. All racks should move towards this system.

22. Dec 4, 2023 at 6:17 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
  23. Dec 4, 2023 at 6:19 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    Although I think all I really would need to know to feel comfortable suggesting it is how the front most mount sits and if it has any adjustments.

24. Dec 4, 2023 at 8:30 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    @ayo4runner I just watched a video on a Gobi rack install. If your front brackets are height adjustable (maybe even if they aren't) I think the Sherpa blocks will work just fine. I think they will actually work even better for the Gobi than they did for my Westcott as I have very little space between my side panels and the roof, but the way the Gobi is designed that shouldn't be an issue at all. Of course this will be trial and error, but I think there is little chance of error. And like I did, I'd suggest a little plumbers tape and loctite just to 100% put your mind at ease.

25. Dec 4, 2023 at 9:21 PM
    Ksny15

Ksny15 New Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD Off-Road
    I love my Sherpa. It looks fantastic, holds a lot of weight and it is STURDY. If you take your time and do it right that rack isn't moving at all. I take it through carwashes weekly. Zero issues with water.

26. Dec 5, 2023 at 7:07 AM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    I hope you at least mean touchless washes :eek: If you go through power washes with all of the spinny things and they get caught in your rack you'd be responsible for the damages to both and I'm not sure what would be better the wash ripping up your roof or the rack breaking the machine.

RLTW likes this.
  27. Dec 5, 2023 at 5:48 PM
    Ksny15

Ksny15 New Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD Off-Road
    They turn the top brushes off when I go through. There is a bigger chance of totaling the vehicle while driving compared to that happening in a carwash.

28. Dec 6, 2023 at 7:12 AM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    Wait ... so because you have a higher likelihood of totaling your car driving, you go around doing things with a known chance of causing damage to your car or others property just because it's less likely? Just want to make sure I'm understanding. Obviously when we go off road, we all take that chance and it's a known possibility but has a risk vs reward to make up for that. I do not see running my car through a powered car wash having that same risk reward when I can just wash it at home or in a pull in bay and get a better wash without the risk. You do you, but I'd never recommend anyone with an aftermarket rack run through a carwash especially if they didn't know the risks associated.

29. Apr 23, 2024 at 4:15 AM
    brodeyo

brodeyo New Member

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2024 Black TRD Pro
    RCI Skids Sliders, Wescott Designs Lift
    Any concerns with the fairing touching the paint?

30. Apr 23, 2024 at 7:37 AM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    I have none but others have put down a strip of the ppf where it will lay to protect it. I believe this is why the Westcott rack is supposed to effect mpg less than other racks is because it sits on the roof. Wind noise was also not noticeable when I put it on and I imagine that is the reason.

Products Discussed in

To Top